Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis majestic 105
Exp
Hi folks

We are not long retired and are looking to do our first overseas trip in the moho. We are thinking of going around Easter time for 6 weeks or so. Couple of questions.

Will most of the sites and Aires be open from Easter?

What is the best time and day to book the tunnel (we have a dog)?

Is France normally busy at that time of year?

Would it be better to go before or after Easter?

Ken & Cherry

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I would avoid Easter if you could as Catholic Easter and Orthodox Easter fall on the same dates this year and I suspect prices will increase as it will be school holidays, and also the roads will be busy. If it was me I would go after Easter - in fact that's exactly when we are going on hols for these reasons.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Can't help with sites but aires will generally be open all year round. Some people say that the water can be turned off in winter but personally I've never come across this. We've never not been able to get water on all our winter trips.

The tunnel trains run all day and night so book whenever you like. Remember though that the busy times for other forms of transport, the first couple of days of the school holidays and bank holiday weekends for example, are busy for the tunnel as well. Any days when you would avoid motorways or airports, avoid the tunnel as well.

France is a big place so unless you're sticking to tourist resort type areas there's plenty of room for everyone.

If you have the flexibility then a day or two before the start of the school holidays would be a good time to travel..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
taralabradog

taralabradog

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis majestic 105
Exp
We have to travel from Northumberland so will probably take 2 or 3 days to get to the tunnel, had quite enough of rushing around. As to where we go in France is open for suggestions. Should we take the route to the East or West of London to get to the Tunnel? Thanks for the replies so far.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
If you go clockwise around London on the M25 to get to the Tunnel via M20 (or M2) you will have to pay a toll going over the Thames at Dartford. The toll is now cashless, so make sure you pay online or use other options. Conversely, joining anti-clock on the M25 is without the toll.

If you intend to stray off the M25 into the Greater London Area, make sure that your vehicle is compliant with the LEZ (London Emissions Zone).

Have a great trip.

James

David Bunker

Free Member
Oct 29, 2015
Canterbury
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too many years
Quite a lot shorter going east round the M25 if you're coming down either the M1/A1/M11, but you will be liable for the Dartford toll

OP
OP
taralabradog

taralabradog

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis majestic 105
Exp
We don't mind paying the Dartford toll as I believe its only a couple of quid. What is the best way to pay the toll?

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@taralabradog If you haven't used the tunnel before, here's another few tips (disregard if you've already done the tunnel :unsure:)

Stop close enough (though mind your wing mirrors!) to the entry booth because you will have to operate the touch screen to confirm your booking and print off a 'hanger' to display in your windscreen. If you're smart, pull up in a lane where the screen is on your near side. That way, the passenger has to struggle and contort to reach and not the driver! :D2

Don't park with the cars; it's too tight. There is a caravan/MH area where there's plenty of room and you can see the departure screens too. Just follow the overhead signs.

OP
OP
taralabradog

taralabradog

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis majestic 105
Exp
I have the camperstop app and the Acsi book. Was also going to get "All the Aires" as well or is that too many belts and braces? Britany was in our loose plans as long as the is OK and its not too busy. I have just looked at the School Holidays for Easter and it looks as if we want to miss them we would have to go before the 10th or after the 24th which cuts out most of April. Is going before the 10th too early? Thanks for the Dartford link .I agree its probably the best option.

OP
OP
taralabradog

taralabradog

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis majestic 105
Exp
Thanks for the Tunnel tips because we haven't used it before. Basically this trip will be full of firsts.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Not many dog friendly beaches in France and those that are you can smell from a few miles away. The French don't pick up although they are trying to get them to do it by providing the odd bin with plastic bags as well. SWMBO came back traumatised after the visit to one beach with our dog. We did find some nice places to stop. One being St Marlo and the other https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@47.0...y9kt49oJN_0Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en at .. La Bernerie-en-Retz .. We really enjoyed it here as you can cycle along the front in both directions. Local Oyster beds. Very French site and far cheaper than the other one at the other end of the town. We meet an English couple in the Aire just down the road. They were sitting in the middle of a car park with their chairs out and a bottle of wine. His wife said after two weeks away all the Aires ( Car Parks ) looked the same. She did not have a clue where they were. Pity really as it is a loverly spot. We had pole position sideways on under the trees next to the sea.

OP
OP
taralabradog

taralabradog

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis majestic 105
Exp
I have just prepaid for the Dartford Tunnel, dead easy thanks . Anybody had any problems getting through after doing that?

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Brittany is a good start, the only thing I would say is the weather in April wont be much different to here in Britain, We usually go in June , no school hols , & weather quite good , if you do decide on Brittany ,check out my 2015 show case & if any of the aires you think you might like , PM me & I will give you co-ords .

OP
OP
taralabradog

taralabradog

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis majestic 105
Exp
Not many dog friendly beaches in France and those that are you can smell from a few miles away. The French don't pick up although they are trying to get them to do it by providing the odd bin with plastic bags as well. SWMBO came back traumatised after the visit to one beach with our dog. We did find some nice places to stop. One being St Marlo and the other https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@47.0...y9kt49oJN_0Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en at .. La Bernerie-en-Retz .. We really enjoyed it here as you can cycle along the front in both directions. Local Oyster beds. Very French site and far cheaper than the other one at the other end of the town. We meet an English couple in the Aire just down the road. They were sitting in the middle of a car park with their chairs out and a bottle of wine. His wife said after two weeks away all the Aires ( Car Parks ) looked the same. She did not have a clue where they were. Pity really as it is a lovely spot. We had pole position sideways on under the trees next to the sea.

The position of that site looks lovely. The idea we had was relaxing for 3 or 4 days at a time and using the odd aire when we were travelling although we don't intend to go rushing around for mile upon mile just for the sake of it. We have plenty of time to explore the country in the future.

OP
OP
taralabradog

taralabradog

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis majestic 105
Exp
Brittany is a good start, the only thing I would say is the weather in April wont be much different to here in Britain, We usually go in June , no school hols , & weather quite good , if you do decide on Brittany ,check out my 2015 show case & if any of the aires you think you might like , PM me & I will give you co-ords .

We have already decided that Britany is on the list but if the weather doesn't suit then we will go South for a bit.

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
There i no stopping,, just keep driving on , they have overhead ANPR cameras,, just deduct the trip automatically

OP
OP
taralabradog

taralabradog

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis majestic 105
Exp
Pretty much all sorted, now , but dartford no problem just drive through it, also don't know if you have seen www.park4night.com but it is online and all the stopping places are on there for free.

No. Haven't come across that one but I will have a good look at it now although I seem to be drowning under the weight of all the info on French Moho places.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
As it's your first time over there try and make the first day there a Sunday as the roads will be virtually truck free and will give you the breathing space to adjust to motorhome driving conditions there.

In my view, the best plan is always to cross the channel latish Saturday and overnight close to the French ferryport which will give you a nice early start on those almost empty roads.

From my years of experience wandering France, and anywhere else come to that, it is sensible to always have a Plan B. Quite stressful arriving at your chosen overnight spot late in the day after a long drive only to find it's closed, full, taken over by a circus or fun fair, or rammed with itinerant workers. It happens!

If you really have to travel at Easter then there are loads of quieter rural spots whithout the hoards.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We don't mind paying the Dartford toll as I believe its only a couple of quid. What is the best way to pay the toll?

Definitely pay the toll. Pay it here: https://www.gov.uk/pay-dartford-crossing-charge If you're lik

It's £2.50, or £1.67 if you have an account so it's really not worth avoiding. It adds 30 odd miles if you go the other way round the M25 from the A1 and if you try and be clever and go through London instead then depending on the age of your vehicle you have the LEZ to worry about. Someone on here discovered that to their cost last year.

OP
OP
taralabradog

taralabradog

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis majestic 105
Exp
As it's your first time over there try and make the first day there a Sunday as the roads will be virtually truck free and will give you the breathing space to adjust to motorhome driving conditions there.

In my view, the best plan is always to cross the channel latish Saturday and overnight close to the French ferryport which will give you a nice early start on those almost empty roads.

From my years of experience wandering France, and anywhere else come to that, it is sensible to always have a Plan B. Quite stressful arriving at your chosen overnight spot late in the day after a long drive only to find it's closed, full, taken over by a circus or fun fair, or rammed with itinerant workers. It happens!

If you really have to travel at Easter then there are loads of quieter rural spots whithout the hoards.

We were thinking about doing more of the quiet rural rather than the hustle and bustle although not too quiet. The last time we went to France we hired a cottage in Pompador. Lovely place but everywhere we went seemed to be empty, not even cardboard cut outs. The only place we actually came across real people was in Limoges.

OP
OP
taralabradog

taralabradog

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis majestic 105
Exp
Definitely pay the toll. Pay it here: https://www.gov.uk/pay-dartford-crossing-charge If you're lik

It's £2.50, or £1.67 if you have an account so it's really not worth avoiding. It adds 30 odd miles if you go the other way round the M25 from the A1 and if you try and be clever and go through London instead then depending on the age of your vehicle you have the LEZ to worry about. Someone on here discovered that to their cost last year.

Have just paid for 2 trips for Dartford using the link thanks so something else crossed off the list.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Easter in France hasn't been hideously busy in our experience, BUT a useful tip is that Good Friday is not a bank holiday in France, so make the most of it to bag your pitch for the weekend then stick to it. Easter(ish) is widely considered the start of the season by seasonal campsite owers, and some aires are free of charge before April. We've been in the Ardeche before Easter and it was deserted - bliss. After Easter you could probably walk across the river by stepping on plastic kayaks full of braying tourists.

Brittany's OK if you like meeting Brits and you don't mind British-style weather. Some of it is worth visiting in its own right because it's unique (ie the Pink Granite Coast) but much of it is like Devon & Cornwall, complete with Brits. Normandy is fine if you're into D-Day and don't mind rain. Brittany and Normandy are traditional safe havens for first time travellers to France, but if you want something different (including the weather) hit the road south in the direction of Bordeaux and consider going west towards the coast around La Rochelle and the islands or east into the Dordogne. A couple of theme parks in the area are worth a look - Parc Futuroscope and Parc Puy du Fou, both have massive aires.

Aires get busier at weekends from Easter onwards but if you arrive mid-morning on most days there's usually enough turnover to get a spot. Arriving after teatime is when it can become a struggle.

For up to date aire info and free SatNav POIs try the French site http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/recherche.php

Going round London we usually go West, but we come down the M40.

Bon voyage :)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@taralabradog
There's some brill videos on YouTube. One by Keith Chesterfield springs to mind. It's called, "Beginners guide - The Eurotunnel Terminal and Channel Tunnel to France by Motorhome"

There's also loads of vids about Aires etc.

Don't worry about 'drowning under the weight of French stuff'. No need to stress, but information is good and it all helps the trip go more smoothly. Just sieve out what you don't want. We only know this stuff because we've already made the mistakes!!

As long as you remember the basics; money, cards, booking bumf, passports and loo rolls!

OP
OP
taralabradog

taralabradog

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis majestic 105
Exp
@taralabradog
There's some brill videos on YouTube. One by Keith Chesterfield springs to mind. It's called, "Beginners guide - The Eurotunnel Terminal and Channel Tunnel to France by Motorhome"

There's also loads of vids about Aires etc.

Don't worry about 'drowning under the weight of French stuff'. No need to stress, but information is good and it all helps the trip go more smoothly. Just sieve out what you don't want. We only know this stuff because we've already made the mistakes!!

As long as you remember the basics; money, cards, booking bumf, passports and loo rolls!

That's what most forums should be about. Learning from others mistakes. However a couple of the other forums seem to be about scoring points off each other and a bit of abuse here and there.
I am starting to look at some of the videos about the tunnel. Quite helpful thanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back