Free Member
Aug 12, 2014
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all,
We recently sold our motor boat after 14 years fun, well mostly, on the East Coast and Waterways of France and Holland. We like the idea of motor homing with our dog and hope to buy a good pre owned one next year after we move house.
To start we have rented a Bessacarr for a few days next week to test the hobby in UK and research, models, size etc as the range and prices are bewildering. Then there are Fifth Wheel rigs!
Let the fun begin
Suffolkwanderers

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Sold our boat for a 'boat on wheels' as well. The boat was more expensive to keep as well, with the mooring and maintenance ....
Hope you enjoy it. Try the Caravan Club at Kessingland, though there are plenty of other good places nearby. Quite a few Suffolk people here ........ welcome to Fun.
Cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Welcome to Fun (y)

We've been hiring different vans too, it's a mine field but it really helps to use the different layouts for a few days. You'll soon realise what you do and don't like and what you will be willing to compromise on ;)

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Hello. Enjoy your few days away, hope it helps with your decision making process :)

OP
OP
S

Suffolkwanderers

Free Member
Aug 12, 2014
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks that's how I figure it as try before you buy is best. We plan to tour on the continent more than in UK as it seems much more motor home friendly for parking in towns and the Aires for free. Only two of us plus small dog but we like space! Just have to try a few and hope we can agree on the essentials

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Welcome to fellow Suffolks. Did you know you can purchase a weeklong Suffolk coastal car park ticket for £10.
Any information centre sell them Woodbridge, Aldeburgh, Ipswich etc. You can stay overnight at Sizewell up to 16 hours. We have done this many times, great value.
Make sure you write down your requirements, garage, beds, layout etc, you will never find perfection, but you will get close.
Regards Phil

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Good advice from everyone , especially Phil above. We are from near Stoke by Nayland - quite happy to have a chat about things as it took three goes to find the right layout for us.

Worth joining fully on here as well. The tenner will easily repay itself in discounts and useful information and advice.

OP
OP
S

Suffolkwanderers

Free Member
Aug 12, 2014
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
:mask:
Thanks for that good tip Phil. We have also found Nightstops in Practical Motorhome and plan to try one near Spalding next week and explore some of Lincolnshire. As a motorcyclist with tent I try to find good A or B roads and avoid Mways or trunk roads. I like to enjoy the journey rather than race to a destination on the bike or on four wheels.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
and a warm welcome from me.. a Jock on the Suffolk coast ..

if you plan on a lot of touring, especially abroad, forget the 5th wheeler , wrong tool ... . it's not a motorhome.. it's a caravan so has the same restrictions on where you can physically go and park and not allowed on aires.

They are much better suited to long term living and staying on sites for extended periods. I'm not saying it can't be done.. some folks do, it's just not ideal.

The same applies if you go too big.. big motorhomes need big parking places and not so good at going down a dirt track to the beach looking for a wild spot.. they also stand out like sore thumbs.

All is compromise.. too small and it's cramped.. the trick is to find one that you can live in comfortably and can go anywhere .. when you do.. you have it cracked.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Suffolkwanderers

Free Member
Aug 12, 2014
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
:smiley:
Good advice from everyone , especially Phil above. We are from near Stoke by Nayland - quite happy to have a chat about things as it took three goes to find the right layout for us.

Worth joining fully on here as well. The tenner will easily repay itself in discounts and useful information and advice.

Thanks David I have now subscribed. It was not very obvious where to do so until you mentioned it. We have also joined the C & CC Motorhome section.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Money well spent! As the name implies - a lot of good natured fun and discussion on here as well as practical information

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Now you are paid up members, there is a Fun meet at Tattingstine near Ipswich this weekend, if you haven't got your Motorhome by Saturday, come along for the day and enjoy a BBQ with us, just bring some chairs, your drinks and some meat to stick on the barbie, you will see what us Funsters are all about.

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
As a Norfolk funster, how was the Tattingstine meet advertised. Where do I look to find out if any are happening in my area (East Anglia)?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Now you are paid up members, there is a Fun meet at Tattingstine near Ipswich this weekend, if you haven't got your Motorhome by Saturday, come along for the day and enjoy a BBQ with us, just bring some chairs, your drinks and some meat to stick on the barbie, you will see what us Funsters are all about.

And bring your bikes if you have them..... always useful. The above is a great idea and a good way to see that at least some of us aren't as scary as we look

OP
OP
S

Suffolkwanderers

Free Member
Aug 12, 2014
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
:emo:

I see folks will there over the weekend so we will try and pop over to say hello but we don't pick up the rental until Monday. Let's hope the weather is good.
By the way it is Ipswich Festival this week until Sunday 17th including the Maritime Weekend. Looks lots of fun. See www.allaboutipswich.com for details.
We hope to meet soon

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
As a Norfolk funster, how was the Tattingstine meet advertised. Where do I look to find out if any are happening in my area (East Anglia)?
If you click on "events" at the top of the page, it will show you upcoming rallies/meets in date order. It's not area specific. Hope this helps :)

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Hi from a fellow motorcyclist and Funsters, albeit from Norfolk!, we have used many sites in Suffolk for many years, try looking for layouts at Simpsons at Gt Yarmouth, very good dealers in my opinion.

Jul 29, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Plus s 670SLT
Exp
Since 2014
Hi from just across the Suffolk / Essex boarder, also a motorcyclist. Picking up our first M/H in two weeks, went to Marquis in Ipswich. Will look forward to meeting up with funster's at future local meets.

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
:welc:Hello and Welcome from Pamela and Derek in Norfolk
Have a look at Becks Motorhomes too at Rollesby. As well as being agents for the German motorhomes, they have a good range of second-hand motorhomes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back