Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
:thumb::thumb: Well first to all the funsters that have offered various amounts of advice and direction, a massive thank you. I thought it may be useful to give a quick update mainly for newbies.

We took the opportunity to grab a bargain through DFDS not as cheap as some but circa 55 quid return I thought was a bargain.

The first leg of the journey was to Dover where we stayed on marine parade with a few other MHs round us, up early to terminal which was easy and smooth flowing, no doubt there are problems occassionly

Many people told us that simply get the other side and turn right,,,, a great bit of advice as we didn't plan we drove. Since Monday we've driven for an hour or two stopped walked looked,

The roads are much easier to drive on just had to channel the wife to give me lane guidance even that became like second nature.

I asked a couple of questions when I first bought the van, Sat Nav ? yes I use one and specifically bought the Camping TomTom its probally an expense not really needed as any quality one that you can enter Lat Long in will work with the Aires guides. However its been excellent

Sat Dish we have only been as low as Paris so not a real test we used the Isat a little self seeking dish, works well.

Gas I fitted the GasIt system and found here that filling is simple

The French Ive found them polite,, I do however try to squeeze out the odd word

Tomorrow going to start heading north maybe spend our last day up towards Belgium

Just a couple of final words.

Everyone has a view this is just my view and a way of saying thank you to the funsters who assisted in me getting the courage to do it.

Any newbies who are thinking about it do it ! feel free to ask any questions :Smile::Smile:

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Glad your enjoying it over there .:Smile:Amazing how you just kind of relax in to it on the quieter roads isn"t it . That was like reading what we experienced on our first time MH Europe trip .Not that long ago either , just over a year ago .Since then have returned a good few times , one longish trip , the rest a max of 7 nights .

Our main change from the first trip is that we"ve evolved in to staying a couple of nights at each stop if the area looks ok , rather than just the one night . Makes for a good relaxing break rather than a driving expedition and moving on just for the sake of it.

Our last night/s also tend to be up Belgium way . You could do worse than stay at the Jeugstadion campsite. http://www.jeugdstadion.be/E/index.php ... 50.84690 N 2.89812 E .... € 12 a night giving a full facility site . Very peaceful , with secure barrier entry ( once you work out the automated pay system ) . About a ten minute walk from the Menen gate Memorial. Have no connection with the campsite , just simply like the place......Enjoy the rest of your trip

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Everyone has a view this is just my view and a way of saying thank you to the funsters who assisted in me getting the courage to do it.:Smile:

Brilliant.

Now get organising the next one for when the sun shines, you'll find it so much better.

OP
OP
Dubiousp

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
Spent the day in Lille today lunch in café back to the van for red plonk crusty bread and cheese great finish to the week

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back