Jun 13, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
Hi guys

I am 32 year old gadget/petrol head. My wife is 27 and my daughter is 13 months old. I am considering selling my classic porsche to buy my first motorhome. I will have 20k to spend. I want the largest (that i can drive on a car licence), preferably a diesel and a decent year.
Any advice please?

I have been looking at a Winnebago Brave 2001 6.5 diesel 28ft and only 31k miles for £19k

Broken Link Removed

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Regards

Gavin
:Smile:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Hello and welcome:thumb:
I personally would avoid an Rv,very thirsty and you could be limited as to where you could go.Id go for a euro van,6 berth with an end lounge,loads of space for the three of you and a lot more versatile.Ive got 2 kids 9 and 7 and with the wife we have loads of space.Look at an Autotrail Apache or Scout great layout,similar layouts in other makes too!

Vlad

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Pygocentrus and welcome. Wise choice to sell the Porche and buy a Motorhome! Wonder why you want something that big with only the three of you?

The 'bago looks great in the pics. Sat TV and Safari Room too! You'd need to factor in fuel costs and the extra costs of taking that type of RV onto sites and ferries (should you go abroad).

Loads of experts and experience on here to guide you.

Welcome and good hunting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
hello and welcome to the house of fun.one point.ave you got a 7.5 ton license.you will need it to drive the van you are talking about.as Wildman said buy something about 3.5 ton.but take your time,have a good look round.good luck.and hope to see you at a meet.:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pygocentrus

Free Member
Jun 13, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
Models

Thanks guys

Much appreciated. Pls could you give me some
Specific models I can search for for on a smaller motorhome scale?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pygocentrus

Free Member
Jun 13, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
Mattress

I want a fixed bed, preferably kingsize as well. Can't sleep on hard beds lol

Upvote 0

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Hi and welcome. Although you say you want a fixed bed, it is worth looking at rear lounge models where the seating normally make into a larger bed. Also with a little one on board it would give you a little more room during the day.
Try and get to as many dealers or shows as you can to identify the best layout for yourself.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
Family motorhome

You already favour the idea of a fixed bed so consider one with a "garage" underneath. A garage on a motorhome is a large storage space usually beneath a raised fixed bed, ideally with a large access door from outside each side, although sometimes accesible from indoors too. Don't be fooled into thinking a garage is for a car or motorbike, this valuable cupboard is where you stow all your clutter. Children come with much clutter - pushchairs, highchairs, pushalong toys, footballs, paddling pool, bikes, huge packs of nappies etc etc etc. You never know there may even be space for a bbq and your camping chairs too :Cool: Stowing this gear away from under your feet will mean you will find you don't really need massive living space.
There are plenty of motorhome shows around the country (see calendar tab above) get along to one and spend a day hiking in and out of dozens of different 'vans. You will very soon find which type you don't want when you curse that the access is too narrow or the steps too steep or whatever. Before long you will have a shortlist of what you are looking for and can start a serious search. Dealers often only sell you the idea of a layout but don't forget to sit all of you in driving/travelling positions to see if it is practical to see/reach the littl'un. If you are not comfortable on the move you may as well buy a static caravan !!

Good luck and most of all have plenty of Motorhome Fun :thumb:

Upvote 0

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
Welcome to the Forum.

I agree with the other posters be wise to get something in the UK size base. RV's are great to live in but not so great here in the UK if you want to holiday here.

I would get out and visit some dealers get a good look at as many different models as you can before you decide. We looked for six months having weekly visits to the friendly dealer who had different stock in all the time. we actually got something that suited us at a really great price in the end and are chuffed to bits.

Have a look at Auto Trader, they have tech spec on most of the ads there and they are a good place to start to discover what you get and what sort of money you are expected to pay for what you want. The UK based manufacturers are less costly second hand, continental vans tend to hold onto their value longer, don't know why?

Look at Autosleeper, Autocruise, Tribute/Autotrail as starting points for coach built. Look at 2002-2006 models they should be around your price range. Swift group coach built are less expensive and I looked at a 2011 Front lounge over cab bed model at just under 20K last year. Some say the quality isn't as good though as some other makes.

Happy hunting.:winky:

Upvote 0

octopush

Free Member
Sep 28, 2012
portsmouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2days
We have a 2004 Autocruise Starblazer xl.

You can get one on a 2004 plate for under £20000.

It has a big garage and a big fixed dubble bed

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi welcome to fun, as has been said, with a RV you are limited with the sites you can use and the places you can go, a good size European van would be a good option, a lot around, keep asking questions, it is so much easier to enjoy when you find a van to suit you.

Don't dismiss the drop down beds they are permanently made up, very comfortable but give a lot of extra space.

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi guys

I am 32 year old gadget/petrol head. My wife is 27 and my daughter is 13 months old. I am considering selling my classic porsche to buy my first motorhome. I will have 20k to spend. I want the largest (that i can drive on a car licence), preferably a diesel and a decent year.
Any advice please?

I have been looking at a Winnebago Brave 2001 6.5 diesel 28ft and only 31k miles for £19k

Broken Link Removed

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Regards

Gavin
:Smile:

At 32 years old, you couldn't have passed your test until 1999, which means you have a B licence, not a C1. This RV will not be legal for you, because it will be well over the 3500kg you are allowed. My 25ft Winnebago is 5 tonnes. A 28ft is probably 6 tonnes or more.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back