Apr 11, 2012
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Im a Newbie
Hi all, just like to introduce myself.
Im a total newbie to motorhome ownership and take delivery of my long sought after first motorhome next Friday. Its a 2003 Mercedes Benimar Europe.
I dont yet have a thing other than a few bits n pieces the wife has put together such as pots n pans etc.
Any help / advice for a first timer is welcome.

Regards Steve

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
welcome from us also

A warm welcome from us to the forum.. it is exciting when you get your first motor home... so much to get.

There is a major show at Peterborough at the end of the month.. you should be able to get everything you want for a motor home and a lot you do not need at this kind of show..... thousands of motor homes and RV at the show for the long weekend and dozens and dozens of traders.. a good place to start.

You will need electric hook up leads (EHU) water container, hoses (flat type best) bedding, food for the fridge. the list is endless.. all you might want at home and some.

Anyway, I am sure a few others will be along to make the list grow...

Bob, Sue and Ezzie the St Bernard (6 years old + 2 days):thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi and welcome from us too

for now stick to basics as in pots and pans, cutlery, corkscrew, dishes,bedding i think you will find most m/homers use duvets and quilts these days with an undersheet etc, a couple of foldable chairs for outside and small table. check that the habitation battery is a good one as this is what powers your lights, waterpump etc and is your power source when not on electric hookup.
Things like 12v tvs can be got relatively cheaply if you need a tv when away.

Once you have been away a couple of times you will know what else you do or do not need and infact whether the van suits you or you will be looking to change it in 12mths (this is no word of a lie - most folk dont find their perfect van layout till about the third one) - so i would hold back on things like solar panels and satelite tv domes

Enjoy its a steep learning curve but its fun

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Steve :welcome: to fun. :thumb:

My tip is for the first night or two, spend it on the drive or not far away, because you will soon learn what you need, and you can go home and get it. :ROFLMAO:

::bigsmile: Bob and Jane.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Don't use things from home in the van, otherwise they'll always be at the other place when you need them. Ideally you should only need to pack perishables before you go away. For example I always keep 14 pairs of underpants in the van so can go fortnight without need for doing any washing if weather is wet.:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Steve, exciting times::bigsmile: For a comprehensive bunch of motorhome checklists including what to load and what not to, take a look at the link in my signature. Meanwhile welcome to the fun:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back