Apr 7, 2012
Romford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one
Exp
Newbie!
Hi all

A quick introduction: I am about to embark on my first motorhome experience by doing a 2 week trip of the US west coast area with my partner, my parents and my partner's parents......Eek!

We have hired a C30 Large RV from Cruise America which should hopefully do the job! I'm completely new to it so am bound to ask ridiculous questions! But if this trip goes well I'm sure that we will be looking to do lots more - maybe just the two of us though!

Nick

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Hi, welcome to the forum

Hi and welcome to the forum.
I have myself hired from Cruise America a few times. They used to hire A class RV's but these days they tend to use C class (bed over the cab). There is a world of difference from hiring an American RV in the US and owning a motor home in the UK. ..I own an B class Winnebago RV and have owned American RV's for over 25 years now.

In the USA the roads can handle the larger vehicles with no issues, camp sites put ours to shame.. all pitches have electric hook up either 30 amps or 50 amps and there is a dump point on the pitch and city water hook up (plug the hose in tot he RV and use the taps as at home) Plus often there is tv connection and telephone connection. Pitches are much bigger as well. I suspect Cruise America will give you a KOA book of vouchers for camp sites.. you will find camp sites not cheap in the USA... you can always wild camp in super markets car parks.. unlike the UK Wal-Mart and the other welcome it.

Few if any Cruise American RV's have awnings... where most of them in the UK do. The vehicle you hire will be heavy duty as it is intended to be used.. reinforced floors heavier duty fabric.. but the cab is a little plain.. often without electric mirrors or windows. While it has the usual aircon on the roof and in the cab. It is designed as a work horse often with high mileage on the clock.

They do sell them.. look on there site.. a lot of info there.

One word of warning before you sign the hire agreement check the RV for dings.. and most important of all is the TAG valid.. I have been stopped twice for an out of date tag.. it is the drivers responsibility to ensure it has the correct tag. You do get a ticket for it.

In the UK there are lots of Motorhomes to hire.. and if you fancy a yank .. look on ebay and put in American RV Motorhomes and you will see loads to buy.

Of course there are thousands of european motor homes for sale.. but once you have used an American RV with that massive fridge and freezer and all the American goodies and the big generator not many go to buy a european.

Anyway have a good trip... if you fancy motor homing the best £10 you will spend is belonging to this forum... lots of American RV owners here on this site.

Bob, Sue and Ezzie the St Bernard:thumb: p.s look at the link in red below ... let the page load and you can see what a smaller RV is like and has - 23'9" long

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A quick introduction: I am about to embark on my first motorhome experience by doing a 2 week trip of the US west coast area with my partner, my parents and my partner's parents......Eek!
Nick

I hope you believe in God, nothing else will save you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
We have done this 3 times (different parts each time) concur with slobaboba etc:Smile: you will have an amazing time,the only problem is you will want to go back, The USA is Awesome! and dont be apprehensive its remarkably easy to get the hang of.

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Forgot to mention if you are all in the same RV,get in first and bag the fixed bed:Smile:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
:welcomefunster: Hello and welcome sounds as if you are going to have a amazing time, and yes it is contagious, you could well be looking for one of your own soon.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back