Newbie...................with questions (1 Viewer)

Igor73

Free Member
Jun 17, 2018
Northumberland.
Funster No
Hi everyone, we're taking the plunge and buying our first motorhome fairly soon, probably a new Autotrail Tribute 720, which pretty much suits our needs & budget. Initially to use for long weekends, then 7 & 14 day trips then progressing to much longer tours if all goes to plan.

Anyway what I want to ask is has anyone got experience of this model & what's your thoughts?

Secondly, should we get up-plated to 3650kg or is 3500kg enough, I reckon with extras & a full tank of water we've probably got about 80kg to play with. I know it's probably not a straightforward answer but any advice would be most welcome, thanks in advance

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Do you know the ACTUAL weight rather than the brochure or dealer weight, often very different things. Are any options included in the published weight?
If not get it on a weigh bridge before you make any decisions.
Don't forget that you will need a C1 licence if you go over 3500kg.

Welcome to Fun BTW. (y):D

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi everyone, we're taking the plunge and buying our first motorhome fairly soon, probably a new Autotrail Tribute 720, which pretty much suits our needs & budget. Initially to use for long weekends, then 7 & 14 day trips then progressing to much longer tours if all goes to plan.

Anyway what I want to ask is has anyone got experience of this model & what's your thoughts?

Secondly, should we get up-plated to 3650kg or is 3500kg enough, I reckon with extras & a full tank of water we've probably got about 80kg to play with. I know it's probably not a straightforward answer but any advice would be most welcome, thanks in advance

Welcome for starters(y)

Just a few questions and we can work out some figures:

1. Excluding the driver, how many passengers (and animals if applicable) are travelling and what are their combined weights.

2. What accessories are you fitting on top of the base vehicle.

3. Are you adding bikes or not.

All the best,

Andrew

OP
OP
Igor73

Igor73

Free Member
Jun 17, 2018
Northumberland.
Funster No
Welcome for starters(y)

Just a few questions and we can work out some figures:

1. Excluding the driver, how many passengers (and animals if applicable) are travelling and what are their combined weights.

2. What accessories are you fitting on top of the base vehicle.

3. Are you adding bikes or not.

All the best,

Andrew
Cheers Andrew, we've done approximate calculations and think at 3500kg we've got 80kg to play with, that's with all add ons, bikes etc included, just not sure if 80kg of supplies, bedding etc will be enough. Don't want to get 3500kg and realise that we should have up-plated. The up-plating is no extra cost and license is pre 97' so I'm leaning towards doing that, just keen to hear what others think.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Cheers Andrew, we've done approximate calculations and think at 3500kg we've got 80kg to play with, that's with all add ons, bikes etc included, just not sure if 80kg of supplies, bedding etc will be enough. Don't want to get 3500kg and realise that we should have up-plated. The up-plating is no extra cost and license is pre 97' so I'm leaning towards doing that, just keen to hear what others think.

I've done a few figures and you can add or adjust them to your own circumstances.

The Manufacturers quoted MIRO is 3,045kg. You should adjust this by upwards of 100-150kg because your Autotrail will be heavier than the manufacturers quoted figure so assume your basic van will weigh about 3,180kg before you add anything. (This figure includes a driver of not more than 75kg, no water, 1 x 6kg gas bottle weighing 17kg and 90% fuel).

Lets now add the weights:

1. Basic mass of van: 3,180kg.
2. 1 x passenger: 60kg (I've gone for a light one).
3. Fresh water: 135kg.
4. Media Pack (TV and aerial): 10kg.
5. Solar panel: 10kg.
6. Bike Rack: 10kg.
7. Extra fuel to make it up to a full tank: 5kg
8. Clothes, food, gear, tools, utensils, books, levelling ramps etc: 150-250kg.

Basic total = 3,560kg to 3,660kg.

Now the other bits that you will need to add or subtract depending on your needs.

9. Awning: 40kg
10. Bikes-mounted (non-electric): 30kg.
11. Tribute drivers pack: 30kg.
12. Tribute Lux Pack: 30kg.
13. A second Habitation Battery (If you want to spend weeks away then this is a must): 25kg.
14. You will need at least a further 13kg gas bottle to sustain trips of a few weeks away. A 13kg gas bottle weighs: 30kg.
15. Toilet waste can weight up to: 20kg.
16. Waste water can weigh up to 85kg.

Personally speaking I think this van is OK for weekends away in the UK for two people and a bit of kit but it is not suitable for anything lasting a few weeks and it's certainly not ideal for European touring.

All the best,

Andrew

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I've done a few figures and you can add or adjust them to your own circumstances.

The Manufacturers quoted MIRO is 3,045kg. You should adjust this by upwards of 100-150kg because your Autotrail will be heavier than the manufacturers quoted figure so assume your basic van will weigh about 3,180kg before you add anything. (This figure includes a driver of not more than 75kg, no water, 1 x 6kg gas bottle weighing 17kg and 90% fuel).

Now the other bits that you will need to add or subtract depending on your needs.

13. A second Habitation Battery (If you want to spend weeks away then this is a must): 25kg.
14. You will need at least a further 13kg gas bottle to sustain trips of a few weeks away. A 13kg gas bottle weighs: 30kg.

Personally speaking I think this van is OK for weekends away in the UK for two people and a bit of kit but it is not suitable for anything lasting a few weeks and it's certainly not ideal for European touring.

All the best,

Andrew
Wow!
That brings it all into perspective.
Some thing I learned some time ago, you can never have too much payload.

Richard.

OP
OP
Igor73

Igor73

Free Member
Jun 17, 2018
Northumberland.
Funster No

All the best,

Andrew
Cheers again Andrew, can I ask why you think this particular vehicle would be unsuitable for longer tours? Just with the whole world of motorhomes is new to us so grateful for as much info as possible. Cheers

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
animated WelcomeGroupSmiley.gif

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Cheers again Andrew, can I ask why you think this particular vehicle would be unsuitable for longer tours? Just with the whole world of motorhomes is new to us so grateful for as much info as possible. Cheers

Morning Igor,

In your opening post you mentioned that your future trips will start with long weekends away, moving quickly to several weeks away before culminating in long trips. If you are really serious about using ANY van for long adventures then you need something that is capable of sustaining you properly in terms of payload and storage (and in a legal fashion).

Your opening post is a very honest one but I think you've probably missed a whole number of MoHo requiremets which all have an associated weight value. If you do want to tour for weeks (or even months at a time) then you will need extra gas, extra habitation power, extra food and clothes, extra water, extra 'everything' and a whole load of little things which as a new guy are not that evident when you are tallying your initial payload estimate. It's also a well known fact that Autotrail build much heavier vans than the weight figures in its brochures but they get away with this due to the European Directives that allow vans to be built up to 5% heavier than quoted.

If you buy the Autotrail Tribute 720 then by my calculations your realtime payload for proper touring will be about 3,800kg (min) to 3,850kg once everything is considered. These figures do not fit in with either of the registration options of 3.5T or 3.65T.

Also, you'll find that your rear axle and tyre tolerances will be severly overloaded by the time you reach full touring mode (and 'overloaded' equates to safety, stability and legal issues for you and your van).

You could add air-top suspension; change your wheels and tyres to 225 (from 215 rubber) and re-register the van to 3,850kg for a total cost of circa £2,000 (fitted) but you would find that you still couldn't use all of that extra available weight because of your inability to get the right loads over the front axle etc.

All things considered the Autotrail 720 is unsuitable because of the payload/safety/stability/legal issues which I've mentioned above.

May I suggest you become a full paid up member of the forum as you can then access the incredibly informative guide to motorhome purchases which Jim (the forum boss) has compiled. It is worth the membership fee just for that.

All the best,

Andrew

Last edited:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
You could ask to drive it to a weighbridge with full water and your wife before you buy. It may become obvious at that point that there is not enough payload for you.
As a newbie, you may buy things at a later date that you haven't even considered at this point.
If over 3500 the road tax is cheaper lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back