Newbie with luck changing ( About time mind ! ) (1 Viewer)

S

sallysludgebucket

Deleted User
LOL

After being flooded out on June 19th 2007, and dossing between a mates sofa and my mico liteweight 8ft caravan, I was offered a Ducato 4 berth on FREECYCLE ! ( As in free ! )
I have previously had Toyota import day vans, Sherpa highwaymans, and of recent years micro Freedom fiberglass caravans all of which have proved invaluable in my work as an angling coach. But being disabed, homeless and unable to work then having my 5 year old lurcher suddenly becoming veryy poorly and having to have her put to sleep, cleared me out. i asked on Freecycle for a fold up camp bed ---- and ended up with a ready to roll 1986 1.9 ltr Fiat Ducato motorhome.

It says GT Motorised as the conversion, pull out double bed over cab, seating at the rear forms a double, shower / toilet room, carver water hearer under seats. Heater, cooker and hob. Ally construction, but I just wondered if their is a name for the conversion, the back bit. I will take a pic when I find my camera ( EVERYthing is in boxes piled high in a mates spare room ! LOL ) or at least track one that looks imilar off the net.

Any help would be much appreciated, I have found the gas valves, all is working and been checked, but I have no idea how to light the gas heater, if it auto ignight, also the gas heater wont lite for love nor money ! LOL

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Hi and welcome ! I am sure someone will come along soon with some help, on MHFun they are a very friendly and helpful bunch, meanwhile I wish you the best of luck sounds like you could do with some:thumb:
Eileen

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hello and welcome to the Fun. Is there a name on the gas heater? The inbuilt safety features on most gas appliances can make them difficult to light if you don't know exactly how. If you can let us know what it is or post a picture of it i am sure someone can help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
Hello and welcome to the Fun. Is there a name on the gas heater? The inbuilt safety features on most gas appliances can make them difficult to light if you don't know exactly how. If you can let us know what it is or post a picture of it i am sure someone can help.

Hi, welcome to our friendly fun site.

Yes, I may be able to give you some ideas/clues once I have a piccy, make and model number. I work all day with gas trainers and assessors and we undertake assessments for the Corgi gas fitters.

Pammy

OP
OP
S

sallysludgebucket

Deleted User
Cant find my camera, along with my shoes obviously very safely stowed in a box ! LOL

Heater is an Optimus International Mini Heater, the type that has pizio ignition and fibreglass inside a cage. Sparks well and can smell gas when I turn the valve, but it aint having none of it. Waited 10 - 20 seconds sparked and waited until turning it up, nout ! Cant get anywhere near it to use a lighter etc

Caver Cascade mark 2 ( 1983 although van is 1986 ) polystyrene covered water heater under rear seat. Pump works, on seperate switch on wall on or off. The Carver has 2 switches on single panel, with no markings on ( dead handy for us newbies ! LOL ) orange light shows when I have all 12v on. In fairness I cant actually test the water heater properly, as the drain plug was removed over 3 years ago and lost. I bought another ( rarer than rocking horse wisdom teeth ! ) cleaned the limescale out, but am having the thread chased out this weekend by a plumber mate as the plastic plug screamed for me to stop almost instantly as it threatened to crack !

Fridge is Electrolux RM212F 3 way, 12v works, mains ? I will be honest, until thats been pro checked I dont do mains fiddling ! So that leaves gas, it sounds like it sparks, but how the hell do you know if its actually lit, I can't feel any heat at the vent ? I have undone the outside vent and checked its clear of detris. ( detris, I learnt a new word through being flooded, it wasnt 2ft of sewage under my floorboards in my bungalow it was 'detris', a posh word for sh------------------ewage. PMSL )

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hiya
Maybe try HERE for a fridge manual, possibly help you out?
I had a quick google for the other items manuals but without much success, maybe someone else will have more luck?
Hope that you get sorted out soon :thumb:

Keith

OP
OP
S

sallysludgebucket

Deleted User
Thanks bud, I have the heater firing up a treat, the fridge I still cant quite crack. I used to live in remote parts and only had a gas fridge for over 4 years -------- its only now I feel old as I recollect it was some 20 years ago, little wonder I cant remember ! LOL

the Carver water heater had the drain plug missing, new one threw a wobbly and wasnt having any of it, luckily an old plunbing blanking end thingy ( I am a girly, OK, practicle, but never the less a girly ! LOL ) did the trick, very nobally assisted with some trusty PTFE stringy stuff ! LOL

I flicked the switch - only to discover I somehow had aquired an 'in' motorhome water feature ! The now obvious reason why the drain was infact missing in the first place was the hot water outlet plastic fitting had sheared off. Thanks to the excellent advice above ( thank you tons matey ! ) I have ordered another, in the meantime, I have very resourcefully, doctored it so I at least have running cold water.

Thats 3 down 2 to go !

OP
OP
S

sallysludgebucket

Deleted User
FOUND THE MANUAL !!!

May be of help to others,
Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun