Newbie with a "large frame" worried about size and comfort in a MH (1 Viewer)

AlasdairM

Free Member
May 19, 2008
Cambridge
Funster No
Exp
None yet - hope to soon though
Hi all - I am Alasdair and am becoming more and more convinced that owning a motorhome would be great and would fit in with what I would like to do re holidays and in leisuretime (for example I fly radio controlled aircraft and helis and go birding etc.).

I have been a member of MHF for a while now and follow a lot of the threads with interest.

My concern is whether I would find a MH uncomfortable bearing in mind my body size/shape! I am around six foot three (in old money) and "solidly" built!

Would beds in a MH be a problem or uncomfortable? How about simply standing up in a MH?

I live in Cambridge and have tried to locate a dealer or someone similar in my area so that I can at least look at a MH and then try renting one for a week or so for holiday to try it out, but I cannot find anyone close to me.

Anyone have any views on whether my size and shape may be a drawback, or am I worrying about nothing? Any ideas on how to view and look around a MH in or near Cambridge?

All the best, A

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Hi Alasdair and welcome to the forum ::bigsmile:

You would not be the first "solidly built" motorhomer on the planet nor will you be the last so I'd say you are worrying un necessarily :Smile:

Why not pop along to one of the Motorhome shows.....the next one is at Malvern in August.

There you will be able to check out motorhomes of all shapes and sizes and I am sure you will find something to suit you.

There is always the American RV option......they are built for Americans, many of whom are far larger than you! :winky:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi Al my motorhome has 8ft headroom and bed 7ft, weight is a matter of adjusting the matress for a comfortable nights sleep so no problem, have many "tall and heavy friends with Autotrails, Commanche if my memory serves me has a long bed. Mine is an old Newlander on a Merc chassis so there are plenty out there to suit. Have fun

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: Hi AlasdairM, Welcome to MotorhomeFun. I fly R/C Aeroplanes and attempting Helis too. Although my birding days are over since I got married. :ROFLMAO:

You are SMALL compared to some of the RV guys. Met quite a few in our travels. Having said that. They were driving RV's. :winky:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Alisdair, like Lindy says, you won't know until you try a few and at a motorhome show there are hundreds on display. You will be able to spend as much time as you like in any that take your fancy. Also there will be hundreds of motorhomers camping there, and its rare to find an owner that doesn't want to tell you how his motorhome and offer advice/opinion:Smile:

Meanwhile welcome to the fun::bigsmile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Being the veritable walking stick insect that I am, should I realy comment:Blush:
I persoanaly dont think you will have any trouble finding a motor home to suite your needs, if its pure comfort you want, then Rv is the way to go, having said that I have seen many a European motor home that would cope quite well, A class for space every time though:thumb:
Geo AKA Twiggy:whatthe:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I am 6ft 5in and 19 stone plus:Blush:and have had no trouble motorhoming although do like my RV.

Caravanned for years and was always a little careful about flopping down after 1 or 2 beers on the bed or seat:Blush::Blush:

There are many largish caravanners, motorhomers and Rvers out there:winky:

Go for it.:thumb:

BTW I have 2 x 15 stone great Danes to to fun in:Doh::RollEyes:

Another BTW:RollEyes:my middle name is Alastair:roflmto:

Last edited:

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
Hi Alastair welcome to fun, I am sure you will find a mh that is suitable th only problem you will have is deciding which one:ROFLMAO: good luck with your search
ruth

OP
OP
A

AlasdairM

Free Member
May 19, 2008
Cambridge
Funster No
Exp
None yet - hope to soon though
Am now reassured - thanks to all for advice

Thanks all posters for replies :thumb::thumb::thumb: - I am now reassured that, even though I am thinking of a 2/3 berth MH and not a large RV, I should be able to sleep comfortably and stand up to make coffee!

I will sort out going to at least one of the shows and maybe look around dealers in Suffolk.

Thanks again to all, A ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back