Newbie - What do I get for 30K (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2016
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 237
Exp
im a newbie
Hi, never had a MH before or a caravan for that matter but am seriously considering a MH in the next 6 months or so. I've read quite a lot on the forums and am aware that hiring is a good idea but I don't want to go down that road at the moment.

I have a budget of approx 30K but obviously don't have to spend it all on a MH. My needs are for something with 2x beds or 2 sleeping areas and good lounge space.

A garage would be of use as if we go touring my wife would need to use a scooter of some description (electric) so would need storage for that. Recommendations for s suitable scooter also welcomed.

She is also on oxygen 24/7 so power requirements for her oxygen concentrator must be taken into consideration.

I'm on the larger side so need a fairly wide berth in the toilet area :)

Size of MH isn't really an issue as we have plenty of space at home for it or can find storage locally and I am a HGV Driver so no licence worries either.

Would like something that keeps its value fairly well and easy to would be easy to sell on if we needed to.

Sure I'll think of lots more questions but that's all for now.

Paul.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Best thing might be to go round a few dealers looking for makes and models that might suit. Leave your cards and cheque book at home as you are researching at this point- it's too easy to get carried away.

Also it might be worth going to a show, again for research.

With an electric scooter make sure the garage can take the weight. Our garage is huge but has a maximum load of 250kg. It is possible to get the chassis strengthened if necessary (not required for us), but that all adds to the cost.

If you don't mind LHD you might be better going to Belgium or Germany and importing. A few people have done that and can give advice / recommendations.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bepto
Jul 29, 2016
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 237
Exp
im a newbie
Planning a trip to the NEC show in October to get a feel for layouts etc, maybe pick up a bargain :) I don't mind LHD but would probably be doing more UK miles than EU.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You'll find what you need fairly easily with that budget.

As Helen says do as much research as you can especially regarding layouts. This is where hiring can be a massive help. Once you think you've found the layout you want find a hire van with that layout and take it out for at least a weekend. You will find things about it by using it that you won't from looking at pictures and sitting in it on a forecourt. You might even find that it doesn't work for you at all and if you don't discover this until you've bought the van it will be an expensive mistake

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Beware at the NEC show. In 2015 we went to get a new awning ...... came home having placed an order for a new motorhome, after buying the awning !!!!! We were only looking to see what was likely to come onto the second hand market in a couple of years time when we were planning to change. We were offered such a good deal we couldn't really turn it down. Ah well, it's only money!

Take a packed lunch and water bottles plus comfortable shoes.

The show is mostly new vans but if you walk round the car park you might see "For Sale" signs in some of the windows of parked vans.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
When you find a van, I hope you have as much 'Fun' as we have.
For 30k or there abouts, you should expect to get a decent van aged from 2006 on. What to buy is a very personal thing, for if you buy British you could buy a much newer van than if you bought German or French which may hold their value better.
Please buy a copy of MMM where you can not only get a good idea about prices but they do many road tests for you to weigh up.
What you may usefully focus on is the purpose in buying a Motorhome. e.g. All of which may have different layouts which may or may not be suitable.
Are you the social kind of person who would invite people in for drinks?
How many beds will suit your needs.
Climbing up to a high front bed may suit you or not.
A fixed bed that you do not need to make-up each night. How much cooking space do you want?
Will you use the shower?
What sort of 'camping' do you want to do? Wild camp. Campsites, Aires? All of which have different needs for equipment which may come with the van.
Please feel free to ask any questions, because that is how we all learnt

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
And don't be frightened to ask the dealers what they have second hand even if they only have new vehicles at the show.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bepto
Jul 29, 2016
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 237
Exp
im a newbie
I was looking at A class, particularly Hymers as they seem to have plenty of space and hold their value but open to anything really. Was looking at the Rollerteam 747 online earlier and quite like the look of that layout.

We need 2x separate beds and I don't thing the twin single variants would suit - Im 6' 1" and close to 20 stone so was wondering if the A class drop down bed at the front would suit me. I like the idea of not having to make up beds every night but that might limit the amount of lounge space available during the day.

I guess ideally a bed at the rear for the Mr's doesn't have to be a big bed as she is only wee :) this would facilitate a garage unferneath, and a large drop down at the front that would take my weight coupled with a reasonable size lounge (mot dinette) either front or amidships.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bepto
Jul 29, 2016
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 237
Exp
im a newbie
By the way regarding the NEC show, what's the best day - time to get those "can't turn that down" type of deal?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bepto
Jul 29, 2016
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 237
Exp
im a newbie
I could buy these but couldn't afford to run them lol.

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
You'll find what you need fairly easily with that budget.

As Helen says do as much research as you can especially regarding layouts. This is where hiring can be a massive help. Once you think you've found the layout you want find a hire van with that layout and take it out for at least a weekend. You will find things about it by using it that you won't from looking at pictures and sitting in it on a forecourt. You might even find that it doesn't work for you at all and if you don't discover this until you've bought the van it will be an expensive mistake

Good advice and exactly the opposite to what we did :D

But we were sure of what we wanted and the opportunity came up to buy a known MoHo off @Smith and Sharp so we jumped at it (y)

Buy from here if something comes up you like might just save a lot go heartache later on.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I could buy these but couldn't afford to run them lol.

Don't dismiss a small US style RV even if it is petrol. Do an LPG conversion and it becomes a "maybe" if the layout is right for you. they are also not as expensive to buy second hand as you would think.

@Allan & Loren have a lovely motorhome and could give you some pointers.

Upvote 0

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
And DON'T pay the asking price, we had a budget of £30k and ended up with a lovely low mileage MH with a 1 year warranty. It had a screen price of £32,500 and we paid £28,500k with a bunch of brand new freebies thrown in: EHU cable, mains adaptor cable, fresh water hose, 5L toilet blue liquid, fresh water tank fluids and some others bits and pieces.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
a bunch of brand new freebies thrown in: EHU cable, mains adaptor cable, fresh water hose, 5L toilet blue liquid, fresh water tank fluids and some others bits and pieces.

Classic dealer trick.

It made you feel good and you were getting a deal but that's about £30-40 worth of stuff so on a £28k sale the dealer didn't give a monkeys (y)

Upvote 0

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
Classic dealer trick.

It made you feel good and you were getting a deal but that's about £30-40 worth of stuff so on a £28k sale the dealer didn't give a monkeys (y)
Agreed, but my main point was the 4 grand off the window price.

Upvote 0

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Don't dismiss a small US style RV even if it is petrol. Do an LPG conversion and it becomes a "maybe" if the layout is right for you. they are also not as expensive to buy second hand as you would think.

@Allan & Loren have a lovely motorhome and could give you some pointers.

Be happy to help if any questions. We've had ours for 4 years now. Its 28ft so not too big. It had an lpg conversion when we got it as do a lot of them. Just been to Europe and paid 30p per litre for LPG which is great value. Yes we only get 10.3 mpg but when lpg is 2.5 or 3 times cheaper than unleaded it equates to about the same as a lot of European vehicles.

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Paul.[/QUOTE]
Hi,

A garage would be of use as if we go touring my wife would need to use a scooter of some description (electric) so would need storage for that. Recommendations for s suitable scooter also welcomed.

She is also on oxygen 24/7 so power requirements for her oxygen concentrator must be taken into consideration.
Paul.

Hi Paul,
You will get dozens of suggestions for the 'best van for you' on a forum with soo many different vans!!!!!!
Pamala used to have to use a mobility scooter and we had to carry it around with us, ----------a scooter with four big wheels is definitely a must to enable it to work on rough/soft ground, we also have a small three wheeler one which is great for shops but is useless on soft ground or for extended use. We bought a Pro Rider for just less than £1000 6years ago and it still works fine, the batteries were easy and not expensive to replace (from Tanya batteries) as they are not specifically for this scooter. I did fit an electric winch to pull it into the garage which made loading/unloading easier.

How much power does the oxygen machine use??------------ Pamala used to have to use a C-pap machine to sleep every night, we bought a 12 v adaptor for it and I fitted a 12v socket by the bed to save having leads running everywhere, can you do this with the oxygen machine????
Nigel & Pamala

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jfcamping

Free Member
May 1, 2017
Oldbury
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
Newbie to Motohoming but been camping all my life
Its all give & take so naturally you may not get everything on the wish list. £30k you would still be getting some good vans & have a decent choice 2011 year and below I would say. Only thing I would suggest as everyone has different ideas is get to a few different motorhome shows and have a good nosey around - even if they are just new it will give you an idea of layouts that will work for you and give you some ideas.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bepto
Jul 29, 2016
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 237
Exp
im a newbie
Thanks for all the replies - I will be booking a ticket for the Newark show in September & hope to see as many MH's as I can there although unfortunately my wife will not be able to attend. I presume one can camp in a tent at the show?

I don't really like the interior look of the American RV's, they all seem to resemble 50's interiors with big couches and dark wood.

The portable oxygen concentrator runs its own battery and is charged off 12V or mains we have chargers for both. Thanks for the scooter advice.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back