Newbie trying out a hire MH next week, suggestions pls (1 Viewer)

Steve Packham

Free Member
Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hiring for 1st time
Exp
Hi
Looking at possibility of buying a motor home but want to try before we buy so we have rented one for next week
Heading along the Jurassic coast, Wareham, Durdle Door. Looking for suggestions for good sites or places to stop or overnight at please, really have got no idea where to start!
Thanks in advance
Steve

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
There are two sites at Moreton, one Camping&CC and one Caravan&MC (Crossways). They are both a short walk to the railway station where you can get trains to Weymouth, Dorchester and Poole. I like the Corfe Castle C&CC site too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Hope you have a good week.
My only thought is that being a main holiday week (Easter) campsites will be busy and may give a wrong view of motorhome life. Also most of our camping is done away from campsites, ie at Rallies, shows, small 5 pitch sites, temporary holiday sites, aires when abroad and some wild camping. This we find more enjoyable than just sat on a campsite but you have to start somewhere.

As such cant help with recommendations..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If it was be I would pop over to France, then you will get the true Motorhome experance, France is Motorhome Heaven.
We hired a couple of times before buying found out what we couldn't live with and enabled us to make the right choice. Kept the first van 6 years.
We hired in Germany mainly because it was ½ the price of the UK but the Euro was at 1.45/£.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
youll have trouble finding sites over easter most want a 3 night booking or not at all even if they are not full

Jubs666

Free Member
Apr 13, 2019
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
3 years
Another recommendation for Highlands End (although it can get windy up there on the cliffs!). Not sure if you have perhaps left it a bit late to book now - you could try sites like Pitchup to check for sites with availability around where you are planning to go. You may find some sites with availability still, but perhaps not with electric hook up.

If you’re in a motorhome (rather than camper), you would be well to find sites where you can walk to local villages or towns - it’s not so easy to pack up and drive to the nearest town if you have run out of milk.

Take some food with you if you're staying on a site that’s away from local shops. Most camp site shops have very limited supplies (especially over bank holidays). Plan ahead a little for the first couple of nights what you will want to eat and drink and be aware that the fridge may not be huge. If it’s nice weather, a lot of sites allow bbqs which is always fun :). Check with them when booking. We have a cadac which we use for most meals now (including breakfast).

I would probably advise to only visit 2/3 sites - that way you’re not packing up / setting up so often. I would also advise to spend your first night close to where you are hiring the vehicle from, that way you can always get back there easily if any issues. Make sure to ask lots of questions and be sure you understand what runs of mains / 12v (in case you do some wild camping - you don’t want to be watching TV off a leisure battery as it will run down very quickly - not sure if motorhome hire places would have 12v TVs in or not...).

Also beware that there are some very narrow lanes in Dorset so plan your route well or download an app for your phone to plan a route based on your vehicle (rather than just using a car route planner) - there are some apps out there that you can enter width / length of vehicle on which are handy.

Sorry - waffled on a bit there! I hope you have lots of fun.

Jubs.

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
West bay is nice, there is a site in centre, I imagine will be expensive over Easter. There is also opposite the car park, as you come into town on your right, a less formal site, not free. Great walk along the back of these across fields into Bridport, which is a nice, with typical shops and a good market on sat.

OP
OP
S

Steve Packham

Free Member
Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hiring for 1st time
Exp
Well, first of all thanks for your replies and tips. Bad news is I’m going nowhere. Made the mistake of not reviewing before booking and hired from a company that’s been featured very negatively on tv a few times and awful online reviews.

Will hire in the future but from a national such as Abacus

Thanks again

Sucoz

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
‘A’ Class
Exp
since 2011
Hi Steve, we hired recently from a company in Southampton. (but I think have a few locations in England) They had terrible reviews and advertise under about 3 different names.
Fortunately our experience was not too bad. The motorhome was quite old for a hire van but other than that it was fine and we got our deposit back eventually. They tried to charge for everything including crockery and general explanations- we didn’t pay for those but everything was included anyway!
We are in a similar position to you and are currently trying to buy a motorhome ( with the help and advice from this forum)
Good luck

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Another Newbie? Wooooooooo ooooooooooooH!!
dad0312b7d04cc741c5fadd2eac3e0a6--smiley-faces-emojis.jpg

Kev and carolyn

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
We hired before we bought - and got the dealer to refund the hire fee against the purchase. It peeed with rain the whole hire period, which forced us into cooking inside rather than bbq and eating outside, etc, etc. We still had a great time and it convinced us it was the right time to buy. Have a great time and use the van rather than eating out, use the on board shower rather than a site one, etc.., would be my tuppence worth.

OP
OP
S

Steve Packham

Free Member
Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hiring for 1st time
Exp
Sucoz this was the same company. They changed pick up location at the last minute and started wanting extra money for the silliest things so I looked up some reviews and was horrified so cancelled. Unlike me not to review first but lesson learned.

They’ve been on tv a couple of times (rip off Britain) I guess they give the whole industry a bad name.

Steve

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I can recommend bagwell touring park at weymouth or highlands end. Certainly not west bay site. As for things to see and do, our coastline is magnificent. Everything from the swannery outside bridport through durdle door and numerous other places to the tank museum at bovington and monkey world at wool. Good easy parking at most for a motorhome

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back