Newbie trip to Western Scotland and Outer Hebs (1 Viewer)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Yes they are

Paid my donation for the stop by PayPal as suggested on their sign
But is it wild camping or is it using an area designated by a local community trust for motorhome parking for a (voluntary) donation?:unsure:

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
But is it wild camping or is it using an area designated by a local community trust for motorhome parking for a (voluntary) donation?:unsure:

Up to you whether you want to call it wild camping.

However as the discussion was about prebooked camping, it certainly is not prebooked , it is definitely who gets there first ;) ;)

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
As I am sure you know, Harris and Lewis are actually one surprisingly large landmass joined by a narrow strip of land at Tarbet. I often had to work at Stornoway Airport, we would take any colleagues who had not been to the Hebrides of a day trip around the central part of Lewis.

Start at Stornoway and head down to the HMY Iolaire Memorial just to south of Stornoway. I recommend this as an understanding of the shipping disaster that killed many Hebridians returning from the first world war who drowned a few hundred yards from home. It affected many households on the Island and is still fresh in mind today.

North up the A857 across the typical Lewis landscape to Barvas then left onto the A858 to see the Whale Bone Arch at Bragar, Google this.

Continue south to see the Viking Mill at Shawbost, Google again.

On to the Black Houses at Garenin. Traditional old Hebridean houses thick stone walls and thatched roofs, worth a couple of hours here.

Carry on to the Ancient Broch or castle of Dun Carloway. Partly ruined round castle with double walls.

On to the famous Calanish Standing stones. Well worth seeing and very atmospheric. The visitors centre has an excellent cafe.

Hopefully you did visit the cafe as you are unlikely to find much open on your return to Stornaway or Tarbet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 2, 2018
Beautiful North Wales border
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
On to the Black Houses at Garenin. Traditional old Hebridean houses thick stone walls and thatched roofs, worth a couple of hours here.

On to the famous Calanish Standing stones. Well worth seeing and very atmospheric. The visitors centre has an excellent cafe.

Sadly both closed when I was there last month due to coronamonkeypox. The look of terror in the eyes of the ticket lady at the Black Houses as I tried to approach her was quite wild!

Reactions: 68c

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back