Newbie trip to Western Scotland and Outer Hebs (1 Viewer)

JoWade

Free Member
Sep 8, 2020
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Not yet
Exp
Hi all,
Confirmed our MH booking for next June and already looking forward to our trip. Looking for any advice but some points in particular.
We collect MH from Kilmarnock and one day later will be leaving Oban on the ferry to Barra.
Our current plan is to drive (avoiding Glasgow) to Loch Fynne for the first night.
Bearing in mind this will be our first ever drive of anything bigger than an estate car, is this a good route to take or would you recommend any other options?

After that we have a full on 12 days from Barra to Harris then over to Mull and Skye before coming back.
In terms of driving etc any places that are must avoids?
For sight seeing - any recommendations? We just like open air really, will have two dogs in tow.

Finally - any other tips about life on the road, what we should take - do and don'ts?
Doing lots of research - don't think I'm being lazy by asking here but I like to have lots of info.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
You can’t completely avoid the motorway around Glasgow. I would suggest that from Kilmarnock, you head for Ayr on the A77, then take the A78 towards Irvine and then the A737 to the M 8 It is then only a couple of junctions to the Erskine Bridge. The M77 from Kilmarnock might seem the better route but means much longer on the M 8

Also, if there has been a lot of rain, be prepared for the A83 (the road towards Loch Fyne) to be closed or restricted. This road suffers from frequent land slips.

The Barra boat has dedicated lounges for dogs, the stairs are fairly steep so you might need to carry smaller dogs; on the smaller inter-island boats, there is no need to leave the van but you can take dogs up to the outside passenger accommodation.

On Barra, there are only food shops in Castlebay ,where the ferry docks, so if you need anything, get it there. There are local shops on the other islands.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
You can’t completely avoid the motorway around Glasgow. I would suggest that from Kilmarnock, you head for Ayr on the A77, then take the A78 towards Irvine and then the A737 to the M 8 It is then only a couple of junctions to the Erskine Bridge. The M77 from Kilmarnock might seem the better route but means much longer on the M 8
[/QUOTE]

You can just cut west from Kilmarnock on the A71 to join the A78 in Irvine ... might be more direct?

However, I’m not a fan of A737 myself - I would head up on A77 but cut the corner by coming off at J1 and cutting acoss past House of the Art Lover to mate.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Do not forget that currently you have to confirm you have a camp site booked to go onto the Outer Hebrides with Cal Mac Ferries, though they are not checking. June will probably start to get busy on sites so get what you can booked. Take a look at Andrew Ditton videos on Utube, he did a series called ‘How to Hebrides’ which is great for a first timer.
you will see people parked on beaches, this is frowned upon as the beaches and dunes are known as Machar and is very fragile So please don’t do it, stick to camp sites and designated parking.
utube has a lot of visitor content so plenty t9 watch over winter months.
there is plenty of kit that you will need to take with you so research and ask as many questions as possible on here.
good luck and Welcome, we are thinking of going up in the next few weeks Covid and weather permitting

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000

You can just cut west from Kilmarnock on the A71 to join the A78 in Irvine ... might be more direct?

However, I’m not a fan of A737 myself - I would head up on A77 but cut the corner by coming off at J1 and cutting acoss past House of the Art Lover to mate.
[/QUOTE]
Agree, but was trying to make it easier for a first time driver.

See you have also found that M 8, without the space becomes ‘mate’ when posted! Tried 3 times before I added the space.

I am a bit confused by the poster‘s route. Harris, South to Mull and back North to Skye.

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Do not forget that currently you have to confirm you have a camp site booked to go onto the Outer Hebrides with Cal Mac Ferries, though they are not checking. June will probably start to get busy on sites so get what you can booked. Take a look at Andrew Ditton videos on Utube, he did a series called ‘How to Hebrides’ which is great for a first timer.
you will see people parked on beaches, this is frowned upon as the beaches and dunes are known as Machar and is very fragile So please don’t do it, stick to camp sites and designated parking.
there is plenty of kit that you will need to take with you so research and ask as many questions as possible on here.
good luck and Welcome, we are thinking of going up in the next few weeks Covid and weather permitting
I don't see how they can enforce prebooking when there is lots of community places to stop in exchange for a donation. One we stopped at a few weeks ago

OP
OP
J

JoWade

Free Member
Sep 8, 2020
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Not yet
Exp
Thanks for this, I have booked the first campsite already today, will book the rest over next few weeks. Those videos are fab, watched them before we booked. Hope you have a fab time

OP
OP
J

JoWade

Free Member
Sep 8, 2020
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Not yet
Exp

Agree, but was trying to make it easier for a first time driver.

See you have also found that M 8, without the space becomes ‘mate’ when posted! Tried 3 times before I added the space.

I am a bit confused by the poster‘s route. Harris, South to Mull and back North to Skye.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the route advice. You are right, I meant Skye then Mull :cautious:

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
How are you intending to get from Barra to Harris? I don’t think there is a direct ferry. Easy to do going by South and North Uist.

Roads on the islands are mostly narrow and many have passing places, also used to allow overtaking. You should definitely not park in them! If you are intending to book all your sites, don’t be too ambitious on the distances between them. If you are rushing to get from one site to another, you will miss so much!

Notice that another poster has advised that you take lots of kit. Just be aware that your van will have a maximum weight, so try to avoid anything heavy. Don’t forget waterproofs and towels for the dogs!

Check that you have full gas cylinders before leaving the dealers and that you get full instructions on how to fill up with water and emptying waste water and the toilet cassette.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks for the route advice. You are right, I meant Skye then Mull :cautious:
[/QUOTE]
Are you planning going via Mallaig and then Kilchoan to Tobermory? If so, look out for the little shop selling venison. Harbour Office at Tobermory has a launderette but parking can be difficult. Good fish and chips there, too.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
This site has a lot of info re. places to stay, toilets, service points etc.

Dont forget midge repellant and download Search for Sites app before you go and it will preload information rather than relying on internet when you get there. Having said that, remarkably good service considering the terrain!
Enjoy your trip (y)

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
How are you intending to get from Barra to Harris? I don’t think there is a direct ferry. Easy to do going by South and North Uist.

Roads on the islands are mostly narrow and many have passing places, also used to allow overtaking. You should definitely not park in them! If you are intending to book all your sites, don’t be too ambitious on the distances between them. If you are rushing to get from one site to another, you will miss so much!

Notice that another poster has advised that you take lots of kit. Just be aware that your van will have a maximum weight, so try to avoid anything heavy. Don’t forget waterproofs and towels for the dogs!

Check that you have full gas cylinders before leaving the dealers and that you get full instructions on how to fill up with water and emptying waste water and the toilet cassette.

Having recently picked up a new motorhome, and being pretty green at all this, I would strongly advise filming the demonstration of all heating, electrical, water/waste and refrigeration instructions at the handover. Do not leave until you are completely happy. If you go through each, in a logical sequence, it all makes sense.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Feel you may be taking on a bit much....I Don't believe can do all you saying in 12days unless you plan to drive all day every day... rmbr once one the Islands life slows down and a lot of the roads are single track. 😎😎

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》

Yes you can...Once on Barra you can drive all the way to North of Harris via various causeways and interisland ferries.

Storr

Free Member
Aug 9, 2011
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Feel you may be taking on a bit much....I Don't believe can do all you saying in 12days unless you plan to drive all day every day... rmbr once one the Islands life slows down and a lot of the roads are single track. 😎😎
'12 days Barra to Harris' - should be OK!

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Yes you can...Once on Barra you can drive all the way to North of Harris via various causeways and interisland ferries.
That is the route I gave. There was no mention of the Uists in the OP. Seemed to suggest going direct from Barra to Harris.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
That is the route I gave. There was no mention of the Uists in the OP. Seemed to suggest going direct from Barra to Harris.
Yes i also thought route was funny BUT why would anybody go all way to Barra and skip middle bit (best bit) of outer Hebrides and go straight to Harris.???

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
What about Skye and Mull and the day to get to Barra and back from Harris???
Don’t think he will be going back to Barra from Harris. Tarbert(Harris) to Skye; Armadale (Skye) to Mallaig; Mallaig to Kilchoan; ferry Kilchoan to Tobermory, Mull.

12 days does seem a bit tight to really enjoy the area.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Yes i also thought route was funny BUT why would anybody go all way to Barra and skip middle bit (best bit) of outer Hebrides and go straight to Harris.???
If you haven’t been before, you wouldn’t know it was the best bit!

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
If you haven’t been before, you wouldn’t know it was the best bit!
That is very true but if he is still following this post he will do now. But as I stated earlier, and I 100% agree with you that i feel he is pushing it doing it in 12 days...

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
So you live in Staffordshire and are buying a MH in Kilmarnock, having never used one previously: personally I would want to spend a few days close to the dealership checking that things work and familiarising myself with all of the systems. You will find lots of horror stories, even from experienced members, if you search. Each to their own!

You are immediately going to hit a busy motorway area to navigate around a major city then drive along some awkward roads with bends and rocky walls which intrude into the roadway. Some of these routes have roads which are, effectively, one and a half cars wide: on single-track roads folk pause in the passing places but here you will find yourself "squeezing" past oncoming traffic. You've never driven anything bigger than an estate car: you are braver than I was!

Having got over 100 miles by road plus a 7hour boat trip, from the dealer you are going to spend time in some lovely islands which lack almost all of the facilities to provide you with things which you have forgotten or didn't realise that you needed. I reversed onto a grassy knoll in Lochmaddy and pulled my rear bumper off: it was a 20 mile drive to the nearest garage in Creagorry to get 4 nuts and bolts to fasten it back on. I hope you have plenty of mechanical abilities "just in case". Now I carry a much bigger tool kit and a wider range of spares

My MH has a short rear overhang so getting on and off ferries was no big problem but we watched other vehicles where the crew were directing them to drive onto wooden planks to "bridge the gap" between the boat and the slipway ramp. Some drivers required a few goes in order to succeed. You will also need to be confident with reversing: on two occasions I had to go backwards for over half-a-mile including up hill and round a bend, with peaty ditches on both sides of a narrow road.

The Western Isles are a lovely place to go and we had a fantastic time BUT we have toured all round the UK and several European countries. The people are friendly and there are facilities for emptying your toilet, filling with fresh water etc without using campsites which are unsurpassed in the rest of this country. Perhaps you feel that, geographically, you are already halfway there and you would like to make the most of your opportunities? Personally I would advocate getting some experience under your belt before embarking on such an ambitious trip but each to their own. I'm not trying to scare you but merely to make you aware of some of the problems which you may face.

Good luck and enjoy - Gordon

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I don't see how they can enforce prebooking when there is lots of community places to stop in exchange for a donation. One we stopped at a few weeks ago

I don’t believe they can or do, it’s just a question they ask to get people mindful of using recognised sites and not wild camping, which we all know is illegal in a motorhome, but until recently not enforced, especially in the OH’s.Having said that the tourist board ? In the OH actually suggest you can wild camp !

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the OH actually suggest you can wild camp !
Yes they are

Paid my donation for the stop by PayPal as suggested on their sign

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back