Newbie Travel Tips For Spain And France (1 Viewer)

Gin Palace

Free Member
Apr 30, 2015
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Newbie!
:)hi everyone(y)
New to site and just bought a Motorhome, would appreciate any tips from you experienced motorhomers that have travelled to France, Spain and Algarve. Essential items? Reccomended sites? Toll advice for A22 Portugal?
Any advice would be great for us newbies! (y)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Where do we start? First of all :welc:

Take a look at the Continental Travel section in Forum Home and click on Spain and Portugal, and also France. You'll get all the info you think you need there.
Then if you've got any more specific questions, come right back here. And remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question (Just watch for the stupid answers:doh:).

Good luck and enjoy.

Upvote 0

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Can now register on line and pay by card for tolls in portugal. Travelled through 2 weeks ago, currently in Granada moving south today. Dont miss Cordoba.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's a very personal thing because it depends on what you want to do. If the aim is to go south as fast as possible to reach the sun then you will find a lot of advice here on routes and stopovers, have a search in the sections suggested above.

However, I would make a plea that there is a lot more to Spain and Portugal than the Costas and the Algarve. We've spent over 10 days so far on this trip in Galicia and have only scratched the surface. We haven't time to see Northern Portugal, the Mihno region, which was on the To Do list but we dawdled too long in Spain.

Nothing wrong with the sun of course, that is where we are heading now, but via Salamanca and Cordoba.

You can find an account of the trip so far in the Spanish section but I would strongly recommend the campercontact app, we have used it almost exclusively, backed up by the All the Aires book for a second opinion on places.

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi Gin Palace and welcome
@TerryL gave good advice re Continental Travel.
If you become a full member (it will be the best £10 you spend) you can ask as many questions as you like (y)(y)
BTW is that a FB Bolero you have? I have ordered the 684 and hope to take delivery next month. Would like to know how you find it.

Upvote 0

Bobndebs McKay

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Bali for the Winter!! Back in Feb 2016
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FMSE
Exp
5 months travelling Through France, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Holland as a Full timer in our firs
It's a very personal thing because it depends on what you want to do. If the aim is to go south as fast as possible to reach the sun then you will find a lot of advice here on routes and stopovers, have a search in the sections suggested above.

However, I would make a plea that there is a lot more to Spain and Portugal than the Costas and the Algarve. We've spent over 10 days so far on this trip in Galicia and have only scratched the surface. We haven't time to see Northern Portugal, the Mihno region, which was on the To Do list but we dawdled too long in Spain.

Nothing wrong with the sun of course, that is where we are heading now, but via Salamanca and Cordoba.

You can find an account of the trip so far in the Spanish section but I would strongly recommend the campercontact app, we have used it almost exclusively, backed up by the All the Aires book for a second opinion on places.
Hi Devon, I have been trying to find Campercontact App on my I Pad and it doesn't come up, is that the correct name for it please as I would dearly love to download it or another similar App.
Many thanks (y)

Upvote 0

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Don't worry too much about tolls, if your in no particular hurry they're easy to avoid & you get to do a little more sight seeing.
We just used the easy toll just the once to enter Portugal & it cost about £7 in total. Very simple system, but as I've already said, you don't have to use the tolls.
Have a great adventure :D

PS. If you get the chance have a look at Marvao, really pretty & a free aire with stunning views across to Spain:giggle:

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi Devon, I have been trying to find Campercontact App on my I Pad and it doesn't come up, is that the correct name for it please as I would dearly love to download it or another similar App.
Many thanks (y)
Search for "NKC" and you should find it, called something like All Motorhome Parking, but NKC, short for Netherlands Kamping Club is quicker.

Upvote 0

Verdant

Free Member
May 3, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Don't own one yet
Campercontact seems to be an iPhone only app. To find it on your iPad, just change the setting at top left of the screen from "iPad only" to "iPhone only" before you search. The app is called "All Motorhome Parkings - Campercontact", by NKC. It should still work fine on an iPad, but it's designed for a smaller screen.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back