Newbie seeking Advice (1 Viewer)

Jun 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Hi

We are looking at purchasing a motorhome and looking for advice to help guide us through as there a lot to consider.

Budget will be about 30K so looking for a a reliable used unit.

Mostly will be just the two of us plus 2 dogs

Would like the ability to go off Grid. want to gain some practical experience in Scotland and Ireland before going on any extended European adventure.

Totally open to make / age / mileage if it provides for a reliable experence

Thinking of a 4 berth to give us some space

Like the idea of rear horseshoe lounge, bed over the cab for extra guests and storage, 4 belted seats, 3500kg so kids in their 20's can also drive but I can drive larger so can my son.

Would like to hear any recommedendations (or point me to a thread if that is easier) about make, age , layout and what am i likely to miss that I will regret when on the road . extra batteries etc..

Looking forward to hearing what works for you that we could learn from

Many thanks

Adrian

OP
OP
S
Jun 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Sorry forgot to add, Purchase private and pay for inspection or from a dealer with warranty

Upvote 0
Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Hi, for off-grid, I would recommend
Solar panels
Leisure batteries (2x 100Ah)
On board water (min. 100 litres)
Gas bottles (say, 2x 6kg min, refillable even better)
Shedloads of discussion on here about everything, just put in a few search words and read away
Good luck and most of all - enjoy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Lots and lots of info here but best advice is to do your research, visit as many dealers as you can to see what's available - you've obviously got a few ideas already but it doesn't hurt to explore other options. Important point is don't be rushed into something "almost, but not quite right" - it's often said it takes 3 motorhomes to get the right one, although we managed it first time by doing a lot of research and also hiring a couple of times. You can see our story in a back issue of the MHF magazine.

As a start go to the resources Section (dark blue bar at top of the page) and have a look in the Motorhome Guides sub heading for good advice and some practical help.

Oh yes, and :welcome4:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jun 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Hi I noticed that there is a show in Peterborough this week end , would that be a good place to get a good feel for what is out thereand ask questions?

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
It's a good start and while you're there you could come along to the MHF camping area and meet a few folk (I'll be there) who would be more than happy to answer questions. Free tea & coffee to Funsters too.

But just a note of caution. Apart from new models, don't expect to see many used vans - all the dealers say they can sell everything they can get their hands on so have no real need to take their best stock to a show. But it should give you some more ideas.

Upvote 0
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
We were initially looking at a rear lounge but in the end opted for a fixed bed at the rear and lounge diner at the front. We swivel the cab seats and put our feet up on the other seats around the table. It’s very comfortable and you don’t need to make up beds every night. Also we prefer a proper double mattress.

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Welcome to Motorhome Fun, lots of good advice already definitely agreed about solar panels, for off grid camping.
If you do get to Peterborough go in a few vans with different lay outs, sit in them imagine being in one on a rainy day which layout feels comfortable.
Good to see you have joined for the year it gives you the opportunity to ask questions as you go along
Good luck with your Search.
hellowelcome

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Hi I noticed that there is a show in Peterborough this week end , would that be a good place to get a good feel for what is out thereand ask questions?
Really good place to start, there will be quite a few second hand vehicles on the dealers' stands. Near Peterborough there is also Wellsbridge Motorhomes. https://www.wellsbridgemotorhomes.com/ We bought our first motorhome from Harry at Wellsbridge, long term trader with decent secondhand stock.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Admittedly we bought new, but if you can find a good dealer who does rentals and has something like you think you like in stock, maybe you could do what we did and get the rental cost credited if we went ahead and bought?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back