Sep 19, 2018
Surrey/Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Exp
Complete Novice
Hi Everyone,

I am a new member having finally decided to buy a motorhome but am wondering whether now is a good time to buy or should I wait until spring?
Are any UK sites open all year round?
What do you guys do with your Moho's during the winter months?

Any advice welcome

:thanks4:

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Welcome Aboard
Loads of sites open all year, but frost can play havoc if you don't get a winterised van, and even then.....
Many opinions on timing....are you looking at new or used?

Upvote 0

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi.gif
and a warm welcome from us.
You are more likely to get a better price at the end of the season rather than at the beginning. As CC57 says, you need to be aware of frost precautions for your motorhome. Having said that, if you stay on sites that have shower/toilet blocks, then you could probably manage with a kettle and a portable and refillable 5ltr water container for hot drinks, cooking and washing hands.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
There are plenty of sites open as many more now have hardstandings for MHs. There are lots of options for city breaks and the now ubiquitous Christmas Markets. You could even take a trip to somewhere like Bruges.
It depends how flexible you are about choice. You could find a dealer that wants to get some sales down on the figures and gives you a good deal. They don’t want them hanging around over the winter.
In the spring you get lots of trade ins as the newly built orders get delivered but if you see one you like now I would go for it.
Do download information about how to look after a MH in the winter. It’s mostly about the water which must be carefully drained out of the system if frost is forecast.

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Not knowing your budget . If you buy a 2nd hand van with may be 3 months warranty, the time will be up before you use it if you’re not going to use it through the winter if buying in the autumn.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
:welcome4:

Ours gets used over the winter even when we are not on camping trips. It's a PVC and part of the decision process was to choose one that allowed us to have one less car. The insurers are OK with it being kept on the drive.

If you are thinking of a new MH, the dealers need to shift what is left of their 2018 stock to make space for 2019 new models so this is a good time for price reductions, and haggling. Ordering a new MH to get exactly the spec you want delivered in 2019 will be more expensive. List prices are going up because of the weak exchange rate.

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
If you are looking at used...the timing of purchase is not influenced new models, old models, dealer stocking etc

You need to settle on
The right layout THEN
The right model/manufacturer
The right dealer and/or the right price

In my opinion,others may agree/disagree but will surely comment, you will be better spending,say,£35k on the right vehicle than the same money on the wrong one that looks cheap ‘cos its newer or blinger

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
Have you thought of hiring one, that way you can check out the layout before a big purchase.
We started in a van conversion which was great for weekends as you could go anywhere, but changed to a coach built for more comfort & space, we then upgraded again for a fixed bed. We sometimes miss the flexibilty (parking etc) of the van conversion but like the comfort the coach built has. We tour all year round, but when its boggy & wet in winter stay at home.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think prices will be lower in the winter especially if its one thats stood around a bit but there will be more choice in spring. Best to see if you can decide the layout you want first narrow it down a bit and see if something comes up that suits but buy what you really want not just whats around at the time

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi and Welcome. If looking to buy second-hand the winter months are normally considered to be a buyers market due to many people becoming uninterested in their motorhomes (not the same as on here). When the spring arrives the prices start to go up because people start to think about the summer.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
In the Pink

In the Pink

Free Member
Sep 19, 2018
Surrey/Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Exp
Complete Novice
Thank you...
I am hiring one this coming weekend :)

@Bognor Saint
As you are in the south east, just wondering if you have any experience (good or bad) of dealers
in the area?
Thank you

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Thank you...
I am hiring one this coming weekend :)

@Bognor Saint
As you are in the south east, just wondering if you have any experience (good or bad) of dealers
in the area?
Thank you
Hi. We are relatively new to motorhomes, just entering 3rd year. Our current motorhome is our second and both have been bought from Wilmoths in Southampton. I can only say positive things about this dealer Both motorhomes had some warranty issues and they were dealt with as I would expect. Also the factory fitted fiat radio/Cd failed and they replaced it with a high spec kenwood system which included sat nav.
Good people to deal with.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Still the South East but worth considering as I bought a terrific s/h m/home from and have returned for stuff to Johns Cross Motorhomes, Robertsbridge. Knowledgeable, understanding of one's needs/budget, no pressure and utterly trustworthy. I've no connection, just a very happy customer.
Google them and browse their website (which may not show all their current stock so worth a call).
Oh, and to answer your question about storage...........I keep mine on my drive but there are commercial caravan/motorhome storage sites and some farms store m/homes as well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
In the Pink

In the Pink

Free Member
Sep 19, 2018
Surrey/Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Exp
Complete Novice
Thanks Guys.

@Johns_Cross_Motorhomes
Hi Pete,
I already have ! I came down 2 weeks ago to pay you a visit and spoke to Andy who gave me some invaluable advice. Watching your website with interest (y)

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As well as campsites, many clubs also have rallies through the winter.
Instead of potential muddy fields they try and get places like schools or community / village halls so you have somewhere nice and firm (hardstanding) to park on and the convenience of a nice warm hall or meeting room for the evenings.
Some van owners like to use the vans all year round, some park them up and never go out in winter. Also if your able there is the choice to bog off to sunny countries like Spain, where many also spend their winters. (y)

So some flexibility and choice open to you.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back