Newbie search for motorhome, how big is too big! (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
I have been reading magazines, visited several motorhome showrooms and watched many videos to help me/ us to decide what to buy.

As mentioned in previous threads, I have come out of boating so am used to 'mobile' homes, albeit floating!

Because of our background, we think the rear lounge suits us best. There are only 2 of us but occasionally 3 when daughter visits.
We find the rear lounge restricts our choice of vehicles as many manufacturers dont offer this option

Anyway, having narrowed down the search to rear lounge, (for now), how big is too big for first timer.

The main use will be just touring uk and hopefully Europe next year. A mix of sites and wilding where possible.

The rear lounge I liked most is 7.45m. Our boat was 12m so it feels like downsizing! Being realistic, touring Cornish roads seems a bit off putting in a 7.45m van.

The next size down for similar layout but has half dinette is 6.9m. Probably a little more sensible for Devon / Cornwall touring, may be! I'm not experienced enough to make the decision!

Swmbo says this is still too big and so we have turned our attention to a Swift 644 which is 6.3m.

Two things on my mind at the moment, how easy is it to tour 7.5m motorhomes around Devon and Cornwall B class roads, somewhere off the main routes?

Secondly, I think I prefer to buy big as as possible as after a year or so, I will probably want to upgrade to a larger van. (again maybe)!

Any comments on size and touring greatly appreciated!

I suppose the next stage is to hire an equivalent motorhome and find out for ourselves!

OOh its so difficult choosing!!!!!

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
693_1.jpg

A good starter van?

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
My van is 7.5m, or 8m by the time the bikes are on. Yes, it was a bit big on Cornish back roads, but that wasn't the length, it was the width that was the concern.

I wouldn't fuss too much about if the van is 6.5 or 7.5m. I'd worry more about if it's 2.4m / 8' body width (like mine) or 2.1m / 7' like a PVC or some of the narrow bodied A class vans. I reckon that 1 foot difference in width would make all the difference to how easy they are to take down minor roads.

American RV's definitely aren't for us! In years to come when all our kids are no longer coming with us I can see us going to a narrow-bodied A class.

Having said that (and hopefully not tempting fate) we do like exploring and have taken our current van down many very minor roads in Wales, Scotland, Cornwall, Norfolk, Lake District etc - and we've never got stuck yet, though we have got a bit intimate with the hedge a few times getting past lorries! After all, if the bin lorry can get there..........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Our van is 5.5m and we tour Cornwall quite easily because we know we can get anywhere that a Tesco delivery van can :)

Perhaps you could hire a 'van to see how you get on with the size?

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Much as has been said before me:

For me, big isn't length or height, it's width - including mirrors.
If the front goes through that gap the bit behind you, whatever length, will follow (mostly).

"Too big" is when you're constantly worrying about meeting something coming the other way or nipping your buttocks as you try and squeeze through a gap.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Good comment about the width!

The 3 motorhome shortlist large to smaller
L 7.45 by 2.412
L 6.9 by 2.346
L 6.3 by 2.31

Looking at our choice, not so much in the width around 100mm / 4 inches in old money.

The choice is quite narrow for a rear lounge, 4 berth and 4 belts.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Good comment about the width!

The 3 motorhome shortlist large to smaller
L 7.45 by 2.412
L 6.9 by 2.346
L 6.3 by 2.31

Looking at our choice, not so much in the width around 100mm / 4 inches in old money.

The choice is quite narrow for a rear lounge, 4 berth and 4 belts.

Rear lounge outfits used to be very popular but have gone out of fashion now - mostly only offered in caravans.
I'm afraid the restricted selection is the price you'll pay for only considering rear lounge.
Mid lounge/dinette seems to be more popular so more of those available.

Decisions decisions. :)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We went for originally a 5.99 m van with large front lounge. But two years ears later we now have a 6.99 m van with fixed bed and large front lounge. We were told when got our 5.99 we should go bigger as length is not that important. They were right 2 years later added a metre to the van and we dont notice the dfference. Wouldnt want to go bigger than this as we feel this is a good compromise. Would have saved quite a bit if we had done this in the beginning.

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
@tonka
Very nice!

I love the apache 700!

Could be the choice for me! I am looking at the bailey equivalent (7.45m).

Are you happy with touring the motorhome? Narrow cornish lanes and all that! What do you think about a first time buy?

Cliff

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
There will of course be lots of different views in response to the question you posed.

As others have highlighted, width is often more important then length (though not always).

With no offence intended to anyone who lives in Devon or Cornwall, I find they are two of the counties that are most challenging to tour in a motorhome if you want to get off the trunk roads. It is obviously a very attractive part of the world, but steep high banks on narrow lanes and MHs do not mix well.

Yes, some will say, if the buses / milk carts / refuse wagons etc can get down the lanes, then it should be fine. BUT, coachbuilt motorhomes are surprisingly fragile, and for many owners' their 'pride and joy', especially if new or relatively new. Hence the stress.

From our experience, travelling the many single-track roads in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland is far easier and more relaxing than the lanes of Devon and Cornwall. You can see for long distances ahead, there are regular dedicated passing places and the majority of drivers pull in when they see an approaching vehicle ahead.

But, in general terms, over the water in France, Germany and Spain etc, it is much more motorhome-friendly than touring in the UK.

Our last van - the one in the avatar - was only 5.99m long and 2.3m wide (excluding the wing mirrors), but still awkward driving down little lanes. We have just changed to a panel van conversion 6.4m long, but only 2.05m wide. And in just a week or so we've really noticed the difference, and how much more relaxing it is to drive.

Reference layout - do the rear lounge variety you're considering require beds to be made up each night? If so, where will you store the bedding during the daytime? Are the seats going to be really comfortable to sleep on, compared to a proper mattress? Will it be a chore after a period of time, making the beds and packing them away on a daily basis? Will both cab seats rotate / swivel to make comfortable daytime armchairs and utilise the space at the front? When you travel on the continent, perhaps south for warmer weather, how much time during the day will be spent inside the van? Just a few points to consider...

Again, as others have mentioned, the rear lounge layout is becoming less popular in motorhomes - although there are still plenty of enthusiasts for the layout. Probably, a little more popular in British vans than continental.

Whatever you decide, hope you find what suits you best.

Mike

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
@tonka
Very nice!

I love the apache 700!

Could be the choice for me! I am looking at the bailey equivalent (7.45m).

Are you happy with touring the motorhome? Narrow cornish lanes and all that! What do you think about a first time buy?

Cliff

Narrow lanes are narrow lanes where ever you go..
Are the Bailey's not a bit wider still than an Autotrail ?
I would worry more about your living space than the roads ... You wont be in Cornwall forever and not all roads down there are small.

Looked at Bailey when we bought this but found they had little outdoor storage. Our previous van was the same Apache 700 but a 2005 model. This is 2012 and has some great storage and 730kg of payload and thats with an awning already pre-fitted.
Mine is up for sale, if you want more info send me a PM/Conversation..

Either way good luck with the search..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our last van was 6.8m 2.35m wide, current van is an A class 7.2m long 2.21m wide it is far easier in tight spots, taken a few wrong turnings and ended up in Greek & Portuguese hill top villages we would never escaped unscathed in the old van.
Well worth considering an A Class they are much easier to drive in tight spots, nice flat sides and no big sticky out mirrors makes getting through tight spots and reversing so much easier.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Narrow lanes are narrow lanes where ever you go..
Are the Bailey's not a bit wider still than an Autotrail ?
I would worry more about your living space than the roads ... You wont be in Cornwall forever and not all roads down there are small.

Either way good luck with the search..
As I said, everybody will see things differently. But, I'm not convinced 'narrow lanes are narrow lanes wherever you go..' They often differ significantly, and in my experience, those in Devon and Cornwall are amongst the most challenging.

Different people use their vans in different ways, which of course is fine.

We travel extensively, and like exploring interesting places all the time, rather than be camped up. We did plenty of that in our caravanning days; now we're on the move all the time. So the driving element is just as important, if not more so, than the living space in the van. However, another priority for us is a good night's sleep - hence twin fixed beds.

Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
My van is 8ft 4in wide excluding mirrors & 28ft long and I've toured all over including Cornwall. I just apply the maxim that if a lorry/coach can get through, so can I. Just use common sense regarding small village centres and you'll be fine. There is (in my opinion) nothing worse than wishing you had a bit more space. Good luck whatever you choose.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
You need to consider living area.
Small lanes won't happen a lot, and chances are, you'll be the bigger vehicle so others will have to reverse.
All part of the adventure lol
8 metre van down road in Wales!
20150628_170534.jpg

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
What is too big?

I did email Baileys of Bristol asking for the turning circle of their 665. I want to know if it will go in and out of our drive, there response, 'sorry we cant answer this as there are too many variables'!

I sent them photos and dimensions, I'm not sure what varies!

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
I don't think you can compare boats and vans. I have an 11m boat and a <6m van but the van never feels cramped. The biggest difference is that people frown if you have a beer whilst driving the van but wave and raise a glass on the boat (c:

It all depends how you use them. If you want to tour get a smaller van. If you want to spend more time in one place with lots of people get a bigger van.

The great thing with a van is the number of places you can go isn't restricted by them being on the water so touring is much more of an option.

If I were you I would get the smallest van you can and go bigger if you really have to. Hymer 634 has a rear lounge and I think some even smaller.

Here's my 544 in a supermarket car-park last Friday, not sticking out any further than the blue car (and I had another 6" at the back if I'd had a better co-pilot). With a 7.5m van you just can't get away with it, with a sub 6 you can shoe-horn them into surprisingly small places.

upload_2016-7-25_22-1-22.jpeg

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Ours is 6.6 metres and 2.4 metres wide and it's a bit bigger than I would like to be honest for driving out in the sticks.

I'll be keeping mine for at least another 4 years so I need to get used to it!

I would like to go down to 6m and slightly narrower in my next van probably a drop down bed to save the time spent making the bed up when you just want to get in it!!

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Its all compromise if your fixed on a rear lounge its your choice , i needed a fixed bed . Dont limit yourself you will look and see different layouts . Layout is only one of the things to look at though.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Don't spend too much on your first van, most will change again.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
I'm surprised how only a few people have mentioned parking. The driving bit isn't that much of a problem, buses, ambulances, delivery vans are expected to be driven to most places, so its reasonable to expect (within reason) to get to most places.
Its when you get there that matters. Presumably you want to stop and get out and look around. I have a 6.4 m PVC as avatar and try to find parking places, try to fit it into normal car spaces in car parks etc. Not easy even then. How the drivers of some of these monsters manage to find a spot in any town or village surprises me, and I don't think many actually do.
I would say its not the driving, its the parking you need to consider.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Length isn't generally a problem, unless you want to park in most car parks, it's the width that causes problems.
When you venture to mainland Europe, you will find a lot of Aires have spaces for up to 7m vans, so if you want to be sure to park easily in most places, limit you van to around 7 metres.
Ours is 10 metres long and we don't really notice the length, but at 2.59 metres wide, can be a handful in some situations.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Having been used to this (which we still have for the moment) we were a little apprehensive about taking on a much smaller 6M van (Broken Link Removed- which is identical),Broken Link Removed

The deciding factor was the missus, who assured me that she would drive (and park) a van of that size, and no bigger. Little did she realise that that it wasn't the 5.99M that counts, but the 2.35M width (with huge mirrors on top) that caused the most difficulty. Ease of driving, access, parking and the fact we didn't really want to be carting around a lot of empty space in the form of a "garage" or contending with a massive rear overhang were the determining factors for us

There's just the two of us, and as we are fortunate to have homes in both the UK & in Portugal, so the van is secondary to our lifestyle (for the moment). We seldom use the van for more than the occasional week away from one place or the other, and then usually either wild camping or keeping to aires

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
@tonka van is lovely worth a look at. Ive got a hymer a class just short of 8 m . Once you get used to how big they are , i agree with other posters its width not length ,,,,, im sure one of my previous wives said that , i may be wrong .
We live in our van so the extra space is nice. Motorhomes are all compromise is what ive learned so far. Good luck in your search , watch out for damp as well .

steve

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
I think it comes down to how confident a driver you are I've been driving arctics and coaches for years so we went for space 8.5tag and never had a problem UK or eu you see some drivers shouldn't even be driving a car let alone anything else so if you are confident look at what layout /space/storage etc but also we found being bigger more room on roof for bigger solar panel roof rack and bikes on back without worrying too much about payload

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Its all down to what compromises you are prepared to make ... if you are prepared to use as overcab bed , or have one you put down , then you can live with a shorter van, and still have your daily living space. If not , you end up with a van that is 50% useless during the day as its half bed/shower/toilet.

We had a Euramobil with a U shaped rear diner , and 4 seat diner at the front, we could get 15 people in it seated, without it being rammed stupid, and without using the cab seats . Its was just 0n 8m long, and had loads of space, now have the A Class Eura with Garage, no rear diner , and with the cab seats swung round, we get 8 in it , and its pleasant .

As for driving, be realistic about where you are going to go.. if you want to be on back roads, a PVC is the way to go , but more for height than width or length.

as for parking, once its too big to fit in one space , it may as well take up two fully.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back