Newbie requires welder in Birmingham (1 Viewer)

avfc

Free Member
Mar 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Transit conversion
Exp
A while
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site,bought an old mk6 transit with no mot,need a cill welding and 2 other small patches,I'm in northfield, Birmingham. Anxious to start my build but got to mot first,obviously the person will be paid.please get in touch if you can help,kind regards mark.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
:welco:Hopefully someone who might know of someone/where who will be able to help will be on shortly.

OP
OP
A

avfc

Free Member
Mar 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Transit conversion
Exp
A while
Thanks for the reply

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
my advice is to replace the cill and cut out all rust, not just patch. once rust free treat thoroughly with dinitrol or waxoyl. you are about to invest a whole load of time and money converting the van, no point if rust will be back repeatedly limiting the life of your investment

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
:welco: I'll ask friends on FB

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Misterg

Free Member
Dec 8, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
Self build PVC
bought an old mk6 transit with no mot,need a cill welding and 2 other small patches [...] Anxious to start my build but got to mot first

Sorry to be the messenger of doom: Please think long and hard about putting what will be a lot of effort and more money than you expect into an already rusty transit. We had a smiley face one and while it was a great vehicle, it rusted and rusted and rusted. I don't think the mk6 and even newer are much different. Maybe if it had been caught early with waxoil, etc. it might be some help, but if not, I suspect that at this age it will have rust in the seams and inside hollow sections. If it is anything like ours, when you start cutting out rust, you have to just keep going and going to find something remotely sound to weld to. We chased the rust around it for a few years, but in the end it just wasn't worth the expense.

Hopefully I'm wrong, and good luck whatever you decide... :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back