Newbie questions: makes, dealers and motorbikes (1 Viewer)

Banjoblue

Free Member
Aug 27, 2017
Funster No
Hello all, a newbie here planning to move on from campervanning! I've downloaded the beginner guide and very useful it is too! Am planning to visit the Bath & West show in a couple of weeks and then the NEC show.

So, a few questions if you don't mind.

Makes: is there a hierarchy of quality builders? I know people can develop a brand loyalty but are some manufacturers associated with better build quality? Are Hymer to motorhomes what VW are to campervans? Are German or continental "better" than uk builders? Are there budget brands? Is there a top three? (or bottom three!)

We're based in Cardiff and though I wouldn't mind travelling to make an eventual purchase are there any recomended dealers with good stock levels in daily drive distance for me to go and tyre kick?

Motorbikes. We've had bikes for years on and off and are quite attracted to the idea of taking a bike with us to the continent or the Isle of Man). Is it practical to put a full size motorcycle in a MH garage (up to 200kg) or are they only suited for lightweight mopeds and such? I've seen the easy-lifter which might be a more flexible alternative but I can already see that that it's all going to massively impact on payload. How do other people manage with that?

Thanks

BB

OP
OP
Banjoblue

Banjoblue

Free Member
Aug 27, 2017
Funster No
Oh that is a proper motorcycle! Have wanted a velo since I was a teen ( wish I'd bought one from Pride and Clarke when they were selling them off) but at 10k for an MSS I can't justify it now.

Upvote 0

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Good to get a real actual report. Like the thought of a single 250, bit old school look too.
Will have to have a think about it although increasing the weight a bit, jap 125 120kg wet, the Herald is 130kg dry.
What was your view on the Sinnis?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Good to get a real actual report. Like the thought of a single 250, bit old school look too.
Will have to have a think about it although increasing the weight a bit, jap 125 120kg wet, the Herald is 130kg dry.
What was your view on the Sinnis?
Before buying the Herald I bought a new Honda CBF125 (aka the 'Grudge Special'), kerbweight 128kg, purely because I was just starting to ride again after losing the use of my right arm after being knocked off my Matchless by a 7.5 tonne foreign lorry on the wrong side of a country bend. Because I was riding to a biking rally in Poland once I could walk again (!) I wanted a commonly marketed bike that a dealer would repair en route if that was necessary. Whilst it was totally reliable I found a 125 too tedious when loaded with gear and riding up long inclines or into a headwind. Its power is largely derived from its revs and I must have changed gear perhaps a million times (I didn't count) on the journey. From memory it cruised at 60 to 65 but at the expense of a denture rattling 8,500rpm. I sold it after a year and bought the Herald.
The Honda 125 (£160 more than the Herald 250) would be fine as a runabout tender to a m/home either one or two-up if the pillion had good hip joints for getting aboard.

The Herald (kerbweight 130kg) has more torque at lower revs than the Honda, and at 250cc more punch. It also looks more classic with less bling and a horizontal seat as opposed to the Honda with the 'kicked up' and rock hard seat which makes it more difficult (particularly for a non-athletic pillion) to get aboard than the Herald.

Weight is important for me since although when riding the weight is irrelevant it's the manoeuvring to park/push/pull it that the weight is issue, since with only one arm to use if I attempt to push or pull it the h/bars just turn onto full lock and I go around in a circle. I have to paddle it when astride - not always possible.
I accept that weight is more critical if carrying it in the m/h garage or on a rear rack. A couple of my pals take c.190kg old Brit bikes in a m/h garage or on a rear rack but they have installed air suspension units which they can adjust to keep the motorhome level and ease the forces on the springing. A m/h has the disadvantage that there is usually a large rear overhang after the rear wheels that exacerbates the 'leverage' effect of the overhanging weight of a bike.
Hopefully there's a pic below which shows the Honda 125's 'kicked up' seat - especially at the pillion's end!
Honda 125.png

and the more easily mounted Herald 250
Bike.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread