Newbie questions: makes, dealers and motorbikes (1 Viewer)

Banjoblue

Free Member
Aug 27, 2017
Funster No
Hello all, a newbie here planning to move on from campervanning! I've downloaded the beginner guide and very useful it is too! Am planning to visit the Bath & West show in a couple of weeks and then the NEC show.

So, a few questions if you don't mind.

Makes: is there a hierarchy of quality builders? I know people can develop a brand loyalty but are some manufacturers associated with better build quality? Are Hymer to motorhomes what VW are to campervans? Are German or continental "better" than uk builders? Are there budget brands? Is there a top three? (or bottom three!)

We're based in Cardiff and though I wouldn't mind travelling to make an eventual purchase are there any recomended dealers with good stock levels in daily drive distance for me to go and tyre kick?

Motorbikes. We've had bikes for years on and off and are quite attracted to the idea of taking a bike with us to the continent or the Isle of Man). Is it practical to put a full size motorcycle in a MH garage (up to 200kg) or are they only suited for lightweight mopeds and such? I've seen the easy-lifter which might be a more flexible alternative but I can already see that that it's all going to massively impact on payload. How do other people manage with that?

Thanks

BB

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if you want quality and good prices go to the japanese camper folk near bristol.
you will find them on ebay jcsswcampervans (268
they have a range of smaller ones buy talk with them others can be got .
far better quality than eu converters .
as for the motor bike ,i have been using a easyrider dax 90cc for 16 yrs . it carries two. not serious motor biking but ideal for local running .
have had lifan 125,s and 250cc lifan but sold them just use the dax . use it alot local at home . but do have a 1500cc drifter for serious ride outs and motorbike camping .

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
After the abuse I got on the other thread for daring to have an opinion on this subject I think I'll just sit back and watch this one.

giphy.gif

I just hope as a newbie you don't take the wrong advice (which you will certainly be offered) and end up with a pup. :whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Banjoblue

Banjoblue

Free Member
Aug 27, 2017
Funster No
Thanks vwalan but already got a bongo (which I'll probably keep) and looking for a motorhome. Yes, NickNic, that's also good advice (y)

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Forestboy used to carry a Versys in his garage, now downgraded to a 300 scooter. I forget the make but it is a big tag axle.

The easy lifter hardly takes any of your payload.

If you mean the hydra trail yes , but the other version will :)

Upvote 0

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I carry a KTM Duke in my garage although I'm 5t,depends if you have your C1.

Upvote 0

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Spend time to do your research.
I am looking at putting a 125 in the garage.
Things too think about
Van payload
Weight of bike
Ease of getting it into the garage
Size of garage, height, width.
Travel insurance on using a bike over 125

Looked at all these and for me a 125 Will have to do.
Pity they don't do the range of small sizes like they used to, 100cc to 360cc.
I would love a 250 aircooled bike
Or even the old Yamaha 500 single.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Thanks vwalan but already got a bongo (which I'll probably keep) and looking for a motorhome. Yes, NickNic, that's also good advice (y)
but they do import larger m,homes at times . some based on trucks or what ever . but proper m,homes .
they do some nice 4x4 toyotas . i keep thinking shall i.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I carry a KTM Duke in my garage although I'm 5t,depends if you have your C1.
So do we in a 4 tonner, watch out for that bigtree, you end up changing your bike and your motorhome. Lovin it Trev, thanks. We have the 690 bigtree has a choice.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
http://www.continentalcaravans.co.uk/ (y)

Despite the name they are Motorhome dealers & very good too in our considered opinion & experiences of two purchases within the last 18 months.
Yes of course Continental Caravans who are at Cross Hands. That's the trouble with getting old cannot remember 5 seconds between looking it up and posting!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Banjoblue

Banjoblue

Free Member
Aug 27, 2017
Funster No
Might be worth deciding what layout you require then choose a maker :)

Very true! We went looking for VW camper and then realised how overpriced they are compared to a MH. Mrs BB was instantly taken by the extra space and facilities (all part of my cunning plan tbh) but when we looked at some of the MH's at the same dealer I was shocked at the quality of some of the fittings. One fold down washroom sink had all the structural integrity of the plastic in an Easter egg package. :). I just wondered where different builders come on the quality scale. I'm not surprised nobody has jumped on the British v continental debate, I thought it might be a bit controversial :)

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
One fold down washroom sink had all the structural integrity of the plastic in an Easter egg package

Same with shower trays, countless threads on cracked shower trays in here.

Style and sales drive MHs now which is why some of the older ones, especially Hymer are much sort after.

And if it's not the plastic that gets you the increased technology will, many cases of duff FIAT dashboards recently with all manor of problems when they they are replaced.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Everyone will have differing opinions that's for sure.

If you want something big enough to take a larger bike then I'd advise a burstner, euromobil, frankia, or big hymer tag axle
Personally I'd not entertain a British built van again, autotrail maybe at a push buy I'd always go for a continental first ( my preference due to experience with various mh over the years and from what I've picked up on others experiences)
Get one with a 5 tonne chassis and you'll have a payload of around 1 tonne to 1250kg
My frankia is 5.2 tonnes with a tonne payload. The garage could easily take a big bike if needed, although I have full bike licence I only intend to carry a 125 in mine
Totally depends on your budget but you could pick up a burstner 747 argos on a 2002-4 chassis for between £20-25k, there's a nice frankia i800 just appeared on ebay at £26k and a 2005 euromobil at £37k currently all that would carry a big bike with ease

Don't know many British conversions with a garage big enough to carry a big bike
But as I tend to bypass them there may well be some out there

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Very true! We went looking for VW camper and then realised how overpriced they are compared to a MH. Mrs BB was instantly taken by the extra space and facilities (all part of my cunning plan tbh) but when we looked at some of the MH's at the same dealer I was shocked at the quality of some of the fittings. One fold down washroom sink had all the structural integrity of the plastic in an Easter egg package. :). I just wondered where different builders come on the quality scale. I'm not surprised nobody has jumped on the British v continental debate, I thought it might be a bit controversial :)
The trouble is that all MH builders buy from the same limited pool of suppliers of bits to build from e.g Thetford washroom fittings and Dometic fridge and cooking and so on. Unfortunately the quality of these bits and pieces has been steadily declining in my opinion. Plastic stuff breaking is one of the MH owners biggest gripes.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Banjoblue

Banjoblue

Free Member
Aug 27, 2017
Funster No
Everyone will have differing opinions that's for sure.

If you want something big enough to take a larger bike then I'd advise a burstner, euromobil, frankia, or big hymer tag axle
Personally I'd not entertain a British built van again, autotrail maybe at a push buy I'd always go for a continental first ( my preference due to experience with various mh over the years and from what I've picked up on others experiences)
Get one with a 5 tonne chassis and you'll have a payload of around 1 tonne to 1250kg
My frankia is 5.2 tonnes with a tonne payload. The garage could easily take a big bike if needed, although I have full bike licence I only intend to carry a 125 in mine
Totally depends on your budget but you could pick up a burstner 747 argos on a 2002-4 chassis for between £20-25k, there's a nice frankia i800 just appeared on ebay at £26k and a 2005 euromobil at £37k currently all that would carry a big bike with ease

Don't know many British conversions with a garage big enough to carry a big bike
But as I tend to bypass them there may well be some out there

That's really helpful! That's the impression I was getting from my internet searches. That Frankia is huge! There's no way I'm showing Mrs BB that!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Banjoblue

Banjoblue

Free Member
Aug 27, 2017
Funster No
Looks good but a bit wary of Chinese bikes.
Would rather have something more proven.
Saying that might have a look at it in the dealership as it's well priced.

I think they have reasonable reviews. They are based on the suzuki engine and Herald upgrade some parts. A new bike for £2.5k

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That's really helpful! That's the impression I was getting from my internet searches. That Frankia is huge! There's no way I'm showing Mrs BB that!
Its huge but trust me once you've driven it it shrinks :) think it's half a metre shorter than mine which I just picked up 10 days ago

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I've had a Herald Classic 250 for year. I ride it regularly in U.K. and to Spain last year (1800 mls), and several extended tours in Europe. I've ridden and competed on old Brit bikes for 50+ years but now at 72 I need something lighter than my three heavyweight 1950's Matchlesses. I've rebadged the Herald as a 'Mutchless' as a joke to my pals as my reputation is of being a Matchless fanatic. It is fun to ride, quick, light to manoeuvre, good disc brakes and lights, excellent 5 speed gearbox, comfortable, looks like a 'proper' bike and has been 100% reliable.

2016-05-21 Mutchless in the garden 001 (480x360).jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I'm not seeking accolades but just to give you an idea of how easy it is to ride I've had to ride for the past 7 years with only a useable left arm and hand so I've had it adapted with the front brake and clutch levers on the left of the 'bars. My right glove is Velcro'd to the 'bars to keep it under control.
I bought mine from, and it was adapted by Haywards of Cambridge, a terrific 'old school' dealer run now by the grandson of a WW2 despatch rider who started the business after being demobbed.
2K lever 2.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm not seeking accolades but

But well done anyway. The spooky thing is, last time I was at the Ponderosa I got chatting to a biker with no left hand. He'd cobbled the clutch ( Tiger 600 with normal bars ) on the RHS and had a proper big grin on him.

Nothing stops a biker !!

Upvote 0

John Stanton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chipping Campden
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 (Heap of crap)
Exp
10 years
I've had a Herald Classic 250 for year. I ride it regularly in U.K. and to Spain last year (1800 mls), and several extended tours in Europe. I've ridden and competed on old Brit bikes for 50+ years but now at 72 I need something lighter than my three heavyweight 1950's Matchlesses. I've rebadged the Herald as a 'Mutchless' as a joke to my pals as my reputation is of being a Matchless fanatic. It is fun to ride, quick, light to manoeuvre, good disc brakes and lights, excellent 5 speed gearbox, comfortable, looks like a 'proper' bike and has been 100% reliable.

View attachment 182721

Sorry, no wish to send this thread off on a tangent but I was just admiring the Herald you have - never heard of them before but as a Triumph fan and owner it does look like a baby "Bonnie" to me if you half close your eyes :). Having looked at the Herald web site I was then led onto another Chinese import web site "Sinnis" and saw this which I thought looked OK for £2,400, although in 125 form it might be a bit gutless ...

Anyway, clearly you enjoy your bikes - I am old enough to remember Matchless but never managed to scrounge a ride on one :(

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Banjoblue

Banjoblue

Free Member
Aug 27, 2017
Funster No
I've had a Herald Classic 250 for year. I ride it regularly in U.K. and to Spain last year (1800 mls), and several extended tours in Europe.

That's cool! Great to here a review from someone who knows what they're talking about rather than some advertising puff-piece!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Banjoblue

Banjoblue

Free Member
Aug 27, 2017
Funster No
Sorry, no wish to send this thread off on a tangent but I was just admiring the Herald you have - never heard of them before but as a Triumph fan and owner it does look like a baby "Bonnie" to me if you half close your eyes :). Having looked at the Herald web site I was then led onto another Chinese import web site "Sinnis" and saw this which I thought looked OK for £2,400, although in 125 form it might be a bit gutless ...

Anyway, clearly you enjoy your bikes - I am old enough to remember Matchless but never managed to scrounge a ride on one :(

I think the Sinnis is basically the same but, from my reading on the web, different importers do different things to them before sale.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I think the Sinnis is basically the same but, from my reading on the web, different importers do different things to them before sale.

Yes, the Sinnis Retrostar 250 is basically the same but wasn't available in black (which I particularly wanted as it looks more 'classic' than a colour). Besides, the Herald is upgraded with branded chain, rear sprocket, brake pads, rear shocks, Avon tyres etc., which are the parts that have been typically poor quality when imported and have spoiled the reputation of many Chinese made bikes.
I recall when pretty awful Japanese bikes arrived on the scene back in the late 60's ('JapCrap' we called 'em). They learned fast and look how they quickly devastated the British bike industry.
There is a Sinnis dealer only 8 miles from me but they are in my opinion 'box shifters' and I was not at all impressed with their knowledge or service when I went there to view a Sinnis. I went instead to the proper traditional bike dealer, Haywards at Cambridge, even though they are 110 miles from my house. I haven't needed to go back there.
I would add that I served my apprenticeship on R/Royce and Bentley cars and have been restoring and riding 'old' cars and bikes for 50 years. Bikes are my passion and I write for a one-marque magazine and assist owners Europe-wide and on a couple of classic bike websites with their technical problems so I have a good feel for bikes. (Well, if I haven't learned a few things - much of it from others and my own shed and roadside repairs - after 50+ years I should have!).
Hope that helps.
If it's of interest this is my 1947 two owners AJS 500cc Model 18

100_1330 (480x360).jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread