Newbie Question on Wildcamping & Drinking (1 Viewer)

L

looking

Deleted User
I'm interested that you say Wild Camping is illegal. Can you please quote me the exact law; I would be interested to read it.

I'm not saying your wrong I'm just interested in having the exact law on this.

Best Regards

Paul
Hi I have all way free camped and never had any trouble,never been asked to move on but then I do get off the main roads and pick my spot.some times ask at a pub or farm and most times it as been ok. But why is it that traverls gipsy can and do stop were ever they please and leave far more mess then any of us do,leave it as you find it I say, If you really get stuck go on to a industrale estate and park in front of one of them. cheers George

B

BuzzLand

Deleted User
Do you mean park in front of a gypsy wagon to block them in?

Be wary of messing or tangling with them like that.
I know of gypsies and they almost always outnumber you and don't really answer to the law.
They are pretty much as off the grid and as unanswerable to 'the system' as possible. Court Summons? Dream on, enforceable fines? Doubt it.
So them smashing your vehicle up and stealing bits off it really wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibilty.

I'm not attacking them or you but just pointing out crossing gypsy travellers is very unwise. If that's what you meant. :)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if you do get the chance to camp with the real gypsies do it . talk to them they will talk back probably invite you to have a cuppa. i often camp with them specially in france or spain make you feel right at home ,never had a problem. lots live around where i live in cornwall if you need help they are always the first to help. need a tow move something big give em a call always help. do nice tarmac drives as well but then you get what you pay for .as for wild parking just spent the last 6 nights free camping on way to nottingham n back. no probs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
doubt it

Do you mean park in front of a gypsy wagon to block them in?

Be wary of messing or tangling with them like that.
I know of gypsies and they almost always outnumber you and don't really answer to the law.
They are pretty much as off the grid and as unanswerable to 'the system' as possible. Court Summons? Dream on, enforceable fines? Doubt it.
So them smashing your vehicle up and stealing bits off it really wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibilty.

I'm not attacking them or you but just pointing out crossing gypsy travellers is very unwise. If that's what you meant. :)

I doubt if he meant that or may have been a joke .... well I hope he didnt :ROFLMAO:

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
you avin a laugh!

if you do get the chance to camp with the real gypsies do it . talk to them they will talk back probably invite you to have a cuppa. i often camp with them specially in france or spain make you feel right at home ,never had a problem. lots live around where i live in cornwall if you need help they are always the first to help. need a tow move something big give em a call always help. do nice tarmac drives as well but then you get what you pay for .as for wild parking just spent the last 6 nights free camping on way to nottingham n back. no probs.

I am guessing you mean Romany Gypsies, not the pik... ooops I mean the 'non romany' 'travellers' that we have in the UK! I would not advise anyone to approach 'travellers' nor to enter their sites! :Eeek:

B

BuzzLand

Deleted User
I am guessing you mean Romany Gypsies, not the pik... ooops I mean the 'non romany' 'travellers' that we have in the UK! I would not advise anyone to approach 'travellers' nor to enter their sites! :Eeek:

I am interested in what the actual difference is between 'traveller, pikie and romany'
I feel the Itinerant is somehow just a petty criminal who is in and out of jail for theft but lives in a council house. A Romany is the real deal (lives on the road and in encampments) and can be all shades of good and evil. But we only seem to hear of the bad mostly.

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
Itinerant's come from ireland and are most parasites causing crime and a general mess whever they come from. the the Itinerant comes from the days before cars when they carried their belonings in a cloth on the end of a stick [pike] they carried over their shoulder.

traveller is just a do gooders name for them.

roma were the balkan gypseys just as bad as the rest only they pick pocket / steal a lot which did not go down recently in the belfast area.

B

BuzzLand

Deleted User
Itinerant's come from ireland and are most parasites causing crime and a general mess whever they come from. the the Itinerant comes from the days before cars when they carried their belonings in a cloth on the end of a stick [pike] they carried over their shoulder.

roma were the balkan gypseys just as bad as the rest only they pick pocket / steal a lot which did not go down recently in the belfast area.

Interesting, so are the tinkers anything to do with the Itinerant's ? Or are they the ones that stayed behind?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
best speak nicely to them all . never know when you need them. have met worse people in posher places . sooner be in a gypsy camp than a posh n snobby campsite asking lots of money for a night. things go missing on campsites even the ones with tight security. so is it not possibly thieves come from all walks of life?

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
tinkers are the ones years ago that went door to door sharpening tools etc.

these days they go door to door tarmacing drives and doggy roof repairs for OAP's charging what ever balance is in their bank account when they take them to the bank.

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
correct

Very good summary :thumb:

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
correct yet again!

tinkers are the ones years ago that went door to door sharpening tools etc.

these days they go door to door tarmacing drives and doggy roof repairs for OAP's charging what ever balance is in their bank account when they take them to the bank.

You are very good at this summary thingy; perfect :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
the the Itinerant comes from the days before cars when they carried their belonings in a cloth on the end of a stick [pike] they carried over their shoulder.

I always thought that the origin of the name 'Itinerant' was because they camped outside towns and couldn't afford the toll at the turn pike .. so became known as Itinerants .. but your definition sounds just as plausible..

further searching found this on wiki which also refers to turn pikes..

The Oxford English Dictionary traced the earliest use of "Itinerant" to The Times in August 1838, which referred to strangers who had come to the Isle of Sheppey as "Itinerant-men".[1] In 1847, J. O. Halliwell in his Dictionary of Archaic and Provincial Words recorded the use of "Itinerant" to mean a gipsy.[1] In 1887, W. D. Parish and W. F. Shaw in the Dictionary of Kentish Dialect recorded the use of the word to mean "a turnpike traveller; a vagabond; and so generally a low fellow"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back