Newbie question - help please! (1 Viewer)

AriadneAranea

Free Member
Oct 7, 2013
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
Hi there, I joined this site a little while ago and have been lurking while I save up for / research to buy my first camper van :D

So I've got the budget sorted and I've spotted a van on AutoTrader that ticks all my boxes (size, number of travelling seats / berths, layout) with a price that looks pretty sensible. Before I contact the seller to go and have a look at it, I was hoping you guys might offer some advice...

I've never bought any kind of vehicle by myself other than from a dealer, and I'm not very mechanically minded at the best of times, so I'm a bit nervous of making a mistake and ending up with a lemon!

What should I look for? What should I look out for!?
Are there any particular checks I should be making?

This is the van I'm looking at. .

Thank you in advance for any help or advice!

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Partial service history suggests it might not have been serviced regularly in the fist 4 years before he bought it probably ex lease work van still worth a look if there's lot of receipts for work that has been done

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
As Yorick says AA or RAC for mechanics and for internal a local mobile caravan/motorhome service engineer.

Most motorhomes dont have a lot of milage on them so should be mechanically sound, check the tyre life (most important) most of these vehicles spend a lot of time standing in one spot and that helps to degrade the tyre and its length of service - its usually recomended to change the tyres when 5 to 7 years old even if they have plenty of tread on them. Habitation wise you need to check that all appliances work on gas, 12v and mains elec (using the ehu lead), that there are no funny smells - for this the van should not have been warmed up inside before you get there. Check around all windows to see if the inside panels are warped/soft/spongy at all around them (poss damp ingress) same for the roof lights and in any storage areas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I would agree with all of the above, also do you know anyone with a motorhome? it may be an idea to take them with you and make use of their experience.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Looks genuine enough but pictures always look better than the real thing.
Check that cambelt (if fitted) has been changed, age of tyres. HPI and that sellers name and address are on the V5 etc

It is now twelve years old!

Good luck

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back