Newbie question about Motorhome Service Stations (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi, I have just bought my first motorhome and I'm picking it up next Thursday. The company I bought it from are going to run me through everything I need to know about water, waste etc. My question may be a stupid one, but I want to book up a camp site for the following week after I pick it up just to test everything out so to speak. The camp site I was interested in doesn't have a Motorhome Service point to get rid of waste water and take on clean water. Do I need this or I take it I can get rid of the waste water some other way. I have a Caroca 500 and used to go tent camping with a large tent but got sick of the hassle of taking it up and down all the time, especially in inclement weather.

As I say probably a stupid question but I don't want to book up without knowing. Thanks for any advice.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
A bucket or black waste container as sold at many camping shops for your grey waste.. Maybe a trolley in case it's far away to the toilet block and put it down the Elsan (toilet) dump. On some smaller sites it may be allowed to dump it in the hedges BUT thats another debate..

Fresh water, I always carry a container with a spout or take a funnel.
Some people prefer buckets..
Just use the van and you will soon see what suits you... :thumb:

Also it depends how long you are stopping and how big your tanks are. It may all last for days before you need an empty or refill...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We use a pound shop watering can for filling up, less hassle than a hose, and a pound shop bucket for emptying the grey waste down the appropriate drain.

Rgds
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
does the campsite have a name.

I find it hard to believe it doesn't even have a fresh water tap.
There may be a misunderstanding and other members may know more about the site.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for quick response

The camp site is Lauder, I'm totally new to all this as I just used the toilet block wherever I went. We just want to go for a few days to see how we get on. We will be getting a run through next Thursday of how everything works so hopefully it will all become clearer. By the way, I'm an expat Scot living in Geordieland, so I like the poundland idea, even better if the 99P shop sells them.

Thanks again, we're really looking forward to our first forays with our new motorhome.

Upvote 0

Mi58ck

Free Member
Aug 9, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since august 2012
When we picked up our motorhomes in the past,i got my wife to film the handover on her phone.Just in case we forgot what switch does what

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
Yes that's the site, as I haven't been through a handover yet I'm just not sure how you get it from the motorhome to the grey waste dump. Is there a detachable reservoir on the motorhome? And when you are not using your motorhome do you empty out the fresh water tank?

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
If there is no grey waste drive over dump, fill the bucket and tip it down the drain. We do this every day, after all it's only a few litres each day. On the fresh water side, I travel with 20 litres ( two watering cans) in the FW tank, each day we use about 8-10 litres so each day on site I add another watering can full. The FW tank gauge always reads empty. Once home, drain both tanks. I also empty the toilet cassette and leave it dry until next trip away. Seems to work for us.

Hope this is of some help.
Bill

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
grey waste will have a tap under the side or rear of the van. fresh water, its a good idea to drain down when not in use to reduce the risk of bacteria or legionella growing in the tank

seriously, just dont panic about it all as its probably far simpler than youre imagining it to be. just relax and enjoy your new adventure:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks to all for your replies you've set my mind at rest. My wife says I worry too much, probably right. I'll book up and try and relax.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I find filling fresh water tank at home first, waste tank empty, carry a watering can from Aldi, as theirs is the right angle to use on the motor home, and top up every day, for the waste water I have bought the 24ltr water tank , made in Germany, very substantial, has wheels for ease of use and handle that extends , leave under open tap from on board waste water tank. makes life easier.
Enjoy, don`t worry it`s an adventure. :thumb:

Upvote 0

Lindylooj

Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
We tend to fill up with fresh water before leaving home simply because its saves messing about on arrival and we can get kettle on quicker :Smile:
Grey waste and fresh water we empty when we get home if away for weekend just because its less hastle really.

Enjoy your van - exciting.

Upvote 0

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Cobham Motorway Services on M25 has a dump point. They charge £5 to empty toilet but do not have drinking water available.

Stop 24 Services, Stanford Intersection (Folkstone) M20 has a dump point but have not replied if it is available to motorhome users.

Tebay Services has a drinking water tap but no dump point. They do also have a caravan site.

Upvote 0

Monty1083

Free Member
Jul 29, 2013
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Just started motor homing ourselves and have/had exactly the same questions....
What we are doing at present is this...
From our caravanning days we have still got a 40ltr Aquaroll and a Wastemaster.
(Both usually found in the caravan accessories columns in local papers).
I was going to sell them until my neighbour, also a motorhomer, suggested I keep them. He made me a 12 volt pump assembly which plugs into the cab cigar lighter so the plan is I keep the Aquaroll filled and top up the tank when needed. I haven't tried it yet but he uses the same method all the time so no reason to believe it won't work.
I keep the Wastemaster handy under the van and drain the waste water tank into it when necessary. Then take the Wastemaster to the grey water emptying point which all sites will have.
Whatever you do, don't think your questions are silly. We all have them but practice and talking to others tends to find answers to most of them!
Hope you enjoy your MH! :thumb:

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2012
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T590
Exp
Hi, CUJIMI welcome . We have a Carioca 500 and it may be can answer any questions you may have. Others have suggested solutions to your problem and I use a trolley, 25l carrier, submersible pump and pump fresh water in. The grey waste tank I drain into a separate 20 l tank and empty at site waste water points.
Good luck and good motor homing . Rex

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back