Newbie on the cusp! (1 Viewer)

Nevis

Free Member
Sep 24, 2017
Scottish Borders
Funster No
Hi All,
New member from the Scottish Borders ready to make the leap of faith into the motorhome world! We were prompted in this direction as we thought a motorhome would be convenient as we build a house but then realised it suits our way of life! We are hoping to avoid the many pitfalls by listening and learning from the wealth of experience on this site. Recently retired we are looking to buy, probably an A Class, 2-4 berth. Marques we have looked at so far have been Hymer, Mobilvetta, Burstner
I appreciate that we are extremely naive so happy to take any advice as to where to buy, (home or abroad), left or right hand drive, or basic stuff like what we should expect to be included when we clinch the deal!

Apologies in advance for any mistakes I make !

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
:welcome3: Hi - sounds like you've already got a good idea of what you'd like to buy.

Personally, I'd say there's much advantage to purchasing from a dealer that isn't too far away from you. There will invariably be the odd thing (hopefully not too much) that will require sorting; and it's a right pain if you need to travel half way across the country just for a small job to be undertaken. Unlike cars, it's frequently only the supplying dealer that will be willing / able to provide warranty support.

Whatever you decide, have FUN! (y)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nevis

Nevis

Free Member
Sep 24, 2017
Scottish Borders
Funster No
:welcome3: Hi - sounds like you've already got a good idea of what you'd like to buy.

Personally, I'd say there's much advantage to purchasing from a dealer that isn't too far away you. There will invariably be the odd thing (hopefully not too much) that will require sorting; and it's a right pain if you need to travel half way across the country just for a small job to be undertaken. Unlike cars, it's frequently only the supplying dealer that will be willing / able to provide warranty support.

Whatever you decide, have FUN! (y)
Many thanks indeed mikebeaches - makes perfect sense. An argument for not buying abroad!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Nevis

Nevis

Free Member
Sep 24, 2017
Scottish Borders
Funster No
Thanks all for great welcome to the forum.
First question - anyone suggest a reputable dealer in Scotland or Northern England?

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks all for great welcome to the forum.
First question - anyone suggest a reputable dealer in Scotland or Northern England?
w2f

I have purchased 3 vans from Marquis NE, just off the A1 Western Bypass at Gateshead and have had no issues with sales, after sales servicing, warranty or customer care.
If you do venture down to them, ask for Nick Condon in sales, but unless they have a part exchange in stock, they don't sell the marques you mention from new.

Good luck with your search.

OP
OP
Nevis

Nevis

Free Member
Sep 24, 2017
Scottish Borders
Funster No
That's really helpful Ken, not least because I come from that part of the world originally and pass through Newcastle/Gateshead quite frequently!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back