Newbie numpty buying privately - help! (1 Viewer)

Apr 3, 2016
clevedon uk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since Feb 2018
Hi all you lovely knowledgeable people. Me and SWMBO (Bob and Lyn) are going to have a look at an Autotrail Cheyenne 840D (2009) on a private sale very soon but as this will be our first motorhome are not sure what we should be looking at or what questions we should be asking!! Your guidance would be warmly welcomed and if any experienced people are about in the Bristol area .........?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
My mum and dad had one of those...my mum still says to this day it was her favourite van

.............Saw how you did that......very good........(y)

OK, OK .........so I'm a lot older than you............:D

1600cc petrol, coach-built, no toilet or passenger seat belts, family of 5 over the Massif Central (saw the Millau Bridge being built), struggled uphill, scared me to death downhill (drum brakes) but got us there(y)

Upvote 0

Musicboy

Free Member
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7096+
Exp
fulltiming since 2003
I had an 840d on a 2008 plate & it was just three years old when I took possession .
Check offside lounge widow ,at the corners,as the outside alloy cracked . This was an Autotrail fault as window was too big for the frame cutout . After a while the stress caused the crack.
Main recall for this problem ...
Also ..check the small garage for damp ... & ... all furniture fitments to the bulkheads as a lot of screws don't even engage as drilled on a slant ... Just grab & wiggle ... Ya will soon find out ... Good luck with the van ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Springer2
Apr 3, 2016
clevedon uk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since Feb 2018
I had an 840d on a 2008 plate & it was just three years old when I took possession .
Check offside lounge widow ,at the corners,as the outside alloy cracked . This was an Autotrail fault as window was too big for the frame cutout . After a while the stress caused the crack.
Main recall for this problem ...
Also ..check the small garage for damp ... & ... all furniture fitments to the bulkheads as a lot of screws don't even engage as drilled on a slant ... Just grab & wiggle ... Ya will soon find out ... Good luck with the van ...

Tanks for the heads up on that :)

Upvote 0

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Check offside lounge widow ,at the corners,as the outside alloy cracked .

Hec, I did not know I could get one with it fitted. I have been looking for a rich indulgent one for ages.

Clive

I seem to have quoted myself, no wonder I have been unsuccessful

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
.............Saw how you did that......very good........(y)

OK, OK .........so I'm a lot older than you............:D

1600cc petrol, coach-built, no toilet or passenger seat belts, family of 5 over the Massif Central (saw the Millau Bridge being built), struggled uphill, scared me to death downhill (drum brakes) but got us there(y)
Ha ha that's not what I meant...believe me I may be younger but I've had older vans than that one ...in fact my first vw camper was actually 8 years older than me when I owned it.

No my mum loved her Toyota hiace motorhome ..it was a 4 berth with 2 6ft long benches that made singles or a double and the overcab bed....even on a 1978 it had an oven and a paloma hot water heater and the corner toilet compartment.
Was a bit of a struggle climbing through from the cab to the back with the mid mounted engine but could be done.
They sold that because sourcing parts was becoming harder and they bought dare I say it a Ford transit canterbury

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Springer2
Apr 3, 2016
clevedon uk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since Feb 2018
Did you not get that Autotrail Savannah you put a deposit on back in July?
If you just want an extra pair of eyes I am willing to come but I don’t have any experience of coachbuilts only having owned PVCs.

Hi Riverbankannie,
The purchase of the Savannah depended on the sale of a property, unfortunately that didn’t happen as we’d hoped (our buyers buyer pulled out last minute) and we lost the deposit and the Moho :-( so we are still looking. Can’t really fault the dealership they held on for quite a while for us waiting for the sale to go through. Guess it was just not meant to be.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi Riverbankannie,
The purchase of the Savannah depended on the sale of a property, unfortunately that didn’t happen as we’d hoped (our buyers buyer pulled out last minute) and we lost the deposit and the Moho :-( so we are still looking. Can’t really fault the dealership they held on for quite a while for us waiting for the sale to go through. Guess it was just not meant to be.
That’s a shame but it sounds as though you are ready to move forward now.

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
We looked at several Auto Trail Comanches most of which had damp probs. We got a good one in the end though! Take a damp meter and check all framework if coach built, especially under seats. DO get a HAB check done. Have Fun!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back