Newbie - New Routines for MoHo (1 Viewer)

AllyMoHo

Free Member
Sep 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class Pilote
Exp
I’m a newbie
Evening all, having been a trailer tenter for 25 odd years, with my own pitching routines, I wonder if folk have arrival and departure routines for MoHo’s once on the pitch. Still getting used to the array of facilities on our Auto Trail Excel. Still working my way through the “Bag of Books” that arrived with the MoHo. Setting up, levelling, switching on, switching over, filling up, emptying etc. All normal everyday things but you gotta do the lot yourself!! Anyone got any routines to share!!! Cheers.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Find a spot. Pull handbrake on. Put the kettle on. We very rarely bother with levelling most pitches are reasonably flat.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We spotted one guy on a C&MC site. He parked up and got out. Then got his ramps out. The ramps were first placed under the front wheels and MH was checked. Then they went under the back wheels and MH was checked again. Then he got a second set out and used three under the wheels. Finally after a lot of mucking and messing about he had one under a back wheel on the first part of the ramp so wheel was about 25mm off the floor. He must have been using a spirit level inside the number of times he went in and out. Probably an ex-caravaner or someone with OCD.

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
animated welcome group purple.gif

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Find a spot. If you're on EHU plug in. Put the kettle on. We always say the difference between Brits and French parking up is within seconds Brits have the kettle on and the French have the satellite dish up :D If its nice weather put your chairs out. Simples.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
Find your pitch. If in Europe check where the sun will be at mid day and decide if you want that at the hab door or the other side and orient the van that direction. If in UK don’t bother(?).

Check your EHU cable will reach the nearest point, and that point actually works.

Level the van if well off level, plug in an have a cuppa.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
In France using the Aires we try to make sure the front of the van doesn’t get a lot of sun PM as our bed is a drop down over the cab and can get very warm by bedtime!
Apart from that we park, if it’s near to level that’s it, kettle on-cuppa!

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Normally it only takes us less than 5 minutes until first beers come out of the fridge.

You will develop an eye for the lumps and dips in a pitch. It's easy to position your MH wheels on those irregularities to make small levelling adjustments. Sometimes it takes a little bit of to-ing and fro-ing. Almost level is usually good enough for us. I have only used levelling blocks twice this year, on very sloping pitches. This week we were on a site with dead flat pitches, absolutely perfect for us, but saw several MHs on levelling blocks. OCD appears to be more common than you might expect.

Distance to the nearest EHU post and whether we are under tree branches would be more important to us. I prefer to only use a short 10m EHU cable if possible.

If you have the option, select your MH orientation according to the sun and wind direction. Best to have the fridge on the shady side. Roll out awning on the downwind side if it is breezy. Not always possible to have both advantages.

Not having a TV means we are not bothered about getting a satellite signal. I've watched some MHers (especially the French) changing pitches several times, raising the sat dish in vain, repeatedly trying to find one where the signal is not obstructed by trees.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Pull up, handbrake on, press button on air suspension to level, swivel seats, get a beer out of the fridge. Some people fart about too much but it does give us sensible people a cabaret to watch.
Service when we leave the Aire if needed, so we have full water & empty waste ready for the next stop.

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
Same as most of the above.
Park, Plug-in, Chairs out, Drink in hand. If it takes longer than 10minutes to get to the "Drink in hand stage" you're doing it wrong.

Watching Caravan Awning pitching antics is the motorhomers favourite pastime! Practice shaking heads and making sucking noises beforehand and remember not to laugh to loudly when it collapses on top of the combatants!

Upvote 0

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
We need a slightly sloping pitch as our back axle holds the back of the van higher than the front.
Level pitches no good for us.
Then handbrake, key in it’s place, door open, tea/ wine: g&t or beer whilst pilot gets chairs table sorted . Barber always an option.
If raining , chairs stay in, big decision is games or books.
leccy stays on whilst we drive so no worries there. Dog might need a walk though. So sus out where water and dump are. Check on neighbours.!
Food out of frezer.

Upvote 0

Sucoz

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
‘A’ Class
Exp
since 2011
Out routine is more for when we leave. We have a list so we don't forget to get off the levellers, unplug the ehu, close the windows, f r idge, cupboard doors, then turn off the gas, pull in the step etc.
Because we don't always use electric, levellers it's easy to forget.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The list is a bit longer when leaving.
Disconnect ehu if used, check nothing left behind. Check all lockers, roof vents closed especially the fridge. Fill up water and dump grey and black. Check gas in case it needs topping up on the way. Secure dogs. Go.

Upvote 0

Grapheneman

Free Member
Sep 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Two people have said that they fill up water before they leave a site. As an absolute newbie (I'm picking up my first Mh in two weeks) may I ask some advice on this. I'm getting a Pilote P740FC and the specification lists maximum clean water capacities as 130 litres and 20 litres when driving. Should I adhere fairly strictly to the 20 litres?

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The list is a bit longer when leaving.
Disconnect ehu if used, check nothing left behind. Check all lockers, roof vents closed especially the fridge. Fill up water and dump grey and black. Check gas in case it needs topping up on the way. Secure dogs. Go.

Only last week I've seen 2 MHs driving on the motorway with front roof vents raised wide open. How can they not notice the deafening wind noise? Also, going along a country B road an AS Trooper with the elevating roof in the raised position. Unbelievable.

Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Two people have said that they fill up water before they leave a site. As an absolute newbie (I'm picking up my first Mh in two weeks) may I ask some advice on this. I'm getting a Pilote P740FC and the specification lists maximum clean water capacities as 130 litres and 20 litres when driving. Should I adhere fairly strictly to the 20 litres?

We always try to travel will full fresh water tank (220 litres) as we don’t stay on sites. If you were always on sites I suppose you might want to travel with less or if you’re at the limit weight-wise.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
On leaving I always come out of the hab door and walk around the perimeter, touching everything. hook up cable stowed, Electric hookup flap clicked down, dog tie out leads stowed, fridge vent covers secure, gas point off, cap on and flap clicked down, rear window shut, rh garage door locked, bike rack secure, steadying jacks packed away, etc, etc If you come across something that needs doing / interrupts the walk around start again at the beginning.

Reactions: GPW
Upvote 0

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
I'm not bothered with arrivals, although I usually like the front on higher ground as the back of the van is slightly higher, it's leaving where the damage can be done so I have a checklist, something like

1. Turn Truma off
2. Lock all skylights and windows
3. Stow all gear - check tabletops
4. Lock all cabinets and doors
5. check the loo is closed and sorted
6. EHU removal
7. Gas off (fridge onto 12V)
8. Chairs etc all ready.
9. After Truma is off switch off domestic power

etc.

The only problem is one has to glance at this even if moving a few yards as drawers and doors have a mind of their own!

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Spy the white post, park according to rules unless the view is better, then sod the rules. Tell mother to get the dinner on.
Get out, clamber in the garage and rummage for the ramps, level up. Clamber back in the garage and rummage for the EHU cable... Untangle it from all the other crap in the garage.
Plug in... Wonder why it isn't on, spend ten minutes faffing with the van only to realise I've forgotten to twist the plug in the socket. Shout to mother to switch the fridge over.
Open the doors, swivel the seats.
Clamber in the garage and rummage for the groundsheet
Clamber in the garage and rummage for the pegs
Clamber in the garage and rummage for the chairs
Clamber in the garage and rummage for the table.
Clamber...... Oh sod this... MOTHER throw me a beer. I'm done.

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
I'm not bothered with arrivals, although I usually like the front on higher ground as the back of the van is slightly higher, it's leaving where the damage can be done so I have a checklist, something like

1. Turn Truma off
2. Lock all skylights and windows
3. Stow all gear - check tabletops
4. Lock all cabinets and doors
5. check the loo is closed and sorted
6. EHU removal
7. Gas off (fridge onto 12V)
8. Chairs etc all ready.
9. After Truma is off switch off domestic power

etc.

The only problem is one has to glance at this even if moving a few yards as drawers and doors have a mind of their own!

We are the opposite, prefer the front slightly down. Our beds are longitudinal and front down stops blood running to head, also water runs off down the windscreen which helps me not getting drenched when OH pulls away while I am outside waiting to check nothing has been left around or under the van.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Travelling with full water is something we always do. You cannot garauntee water will be available at your next stop, even if you stay on sites. We have experienced water unavailable at a CCC site because the pipes were frozen.
We will always ensure a full tank when travelling from France into Spain. French water makes good tea, a lot of southern Spain has pretty horrible water, safe but undrinkable.
Also a part filled tank slops about when moving, a full one doesn't.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back