Jan 22, 2017
Newquay Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi
I am a 65 year old single lady about to retire and plan on buying a motorhome soon ready to tour UK and see all the places I have just passed through in the frantic rush to make the most of time off work.

Friends invited me when they hired a winebago in Vancouver and we drove through the Rockies to Calgary and I loved it but that is the sum of my experience!!

Would be grateful for any tips, so far my I have decided on a rear lounge that can be two single beds and an over cab bed as this will suit taking friends and family on some trips. Budget is about £20k.

Glynis

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
:ello: & :welco:

Some things to consider :

Payload
Layout
Berths
Adequate travelling seats ( with seatbelts )

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
welcome lilac flowers glitter animated.gif

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
IMG_0855.GIF
When we chose our current MH, a panel van conversion, we considered buying one that could occasionally be used by one of our children and their kids. However there is such a compromise to be made on layout versus travelling seats that we opted to get a two berth rear lounge and to buy to suit ourselves.
I know that at 65 you will have the C1 category on your driving licence so you can go over 3500kg in weight, however you may not be able to retain it at 70, which to you will feel a long way away. Just bear it in mind.
Wishing you well in your search.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
hello and welcome!!w2f

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Hi Glynis, welcome, do go and try lots of vans. lie down in the beds, sit on the loo, and take the payload as an estimate not a given, take any you are interested in over a weighbridge, look for a free one, they do exist.
You loved your trip in the winnebago, would suggest that once you think you know what you want, that you hire to make sure, can save an expensive mistake. Lots of females travel on their own, as do many men, (before i get lynched). I get away as often as I can. love it. Make sure you have enough seatbelts, as already mentioned, may be a grey area in law, but travelling without can be a dangerous practice and some insurance companies only insure for the no of belted seats.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hello and welcome to the Fun
upload_2017-1-22_20-16-42.png

Another question you need to have a think about is how you'll use your van - weekends/ midweek trips, a week or two, or months at a time. This will help you decide on how much storage you need, how much lounging room you want, etc. Do you want to move on every night or two, or stay in one place for a week (if staying for a while, you might prefer your 'visitors' to bring along a car for ease of travelling to local attractions etc). Will you use campsites, or just wing it on the road (in which case you might want solar); and if campsites, would you prefer those with all the bells and whistles (underfloor-heated showers, swimming pool etc), or just the basics of a water-tap and somewhere to dump your black and grey waste.

You really don't HAVE to decide on all the questions in advance - we didn't, because we didn't really know the questions were there to be asked! - and we survived and loved it. So have a bit of a think but don't leave it too long - you'll only regret you didn't start sooner :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OP
OP
G

Glynis

Free Member
Jan 22, 2017
Newquay Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Wow! this is the first forum I have been on and am so pleased to get so many replies so "Hi back at you all" and thank you for the suggestions so far.

Seat belts are a bit confusing, a 4 berth van with only two travelling seats confused me. Can I have another one fitted in a rear lounge?

Glyn

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Wow! this is the first forum I have been on and am so pleased to get so many replies so "Hi back at you all" and thank you for the suggestions so far.

Seat belts are a bit confusing, a 4 berth van with only two travelling seats confused me. Can I have another one fitted in a rear lounge?

Glyn
Unfortunately retro fitting seatbelts is not easy as you need the steel base to make them structurally safe, and also fitting them to side facing seats is a no-no ... they cause too much injury in an accident. Its not only the lack of seat belts but your insurer would likely not cover you for more than the original 2 cab seat travellers as it was never designed to carry rear passengers.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Just a repeat of some of the above:

Don't even think about buying anything until you've spent time in an assortment of bodies and layouts. Go visit as many dealers as you can and get inside vehicles. Don't be afraid to ask the dealer to open up locked ones - if he refuses, walk away.

My priorities are always:
Base vehicle condition and reliability. Even with the swishest layout you're going nowhere if the front end lets you down

Layout - you may think you know that a rear lounge is good for you but do look at the others. Layout is where many first timers get it wrong first time.

Payload - if you don't fully understand this then do some research. Very annoying and restrictive if you get it wrong.

Do your homework and you'll be able to enjoy your travels.

Oh, and welcome :)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Seems like madness doesn't it? There are some vans with more seatbelts than berths, and some with more berths than seatbelts. More berths allows for visitors I suppose, or a companion car that's not towed; more seats allows for a smaller van with an awning or tent. But at least you're aware of the potential problem! so you can make sure that you buy what you need.
The back end of a moho is generally some form of plastic, you wouldn't want passengers in there if you were rear-ended.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands.

.... p.s. To get the most from the forum you will need to subscribe. It's well worth £15 and will allow you to continue posting as well as letting you into areas that non members can't access.

Broken Link Removed

Wyn

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
:welco::ello:

I would go to one of one the big shows to see all the possible layouts. I know you are not buying new but it is a good way of seeing what you like and don't like. When at dealers look at all layouts whether they are in your price bracket or not. You may see one you like and if too expensive watch out for an older model. It is easy to be tempted by too big a space when really you may only need something smaller. My sister and BIL did that and my sister was scared of driving it or being a passenger they ended up getting rid of it. Take your time but when you have chosen be ready to buy :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Go to The NEC next week and look at as many layouts as you can,,Welcome,,BUSBY.

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Hi and welcome, we were always advised just view everything with an open mind, we also had something in mind, bought total opposite ?, set yourself a budget, ,totally subscribe as information on everything here is so useful, enjoy finding your m/ h

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Should think she is sorted now..Post was from 2017.BUSBY??

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi and welcome, we were always advised just view everything with an open mind, we also had something in mind, bought total opposite ?, set yourself a budget, ,totally subscribe as information on everything here is so useful, enjoy finding your m/ h
Good of you to try to help Snoopy, it's so easy to reply to older threads without realising how out of date they are, we've all fallen for it at one time or another ... even busby! :giggle:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Good of you to try to help Snoopy, it's so easy to reply to older threads without realising how out of date they are, we've all fallen for it at one time or another ... even busby! :giggle:
Many times,,I never put my brain in gear??.BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back