Newbie MH holiday advice, please? Dazed and confused :) (1 Viewer)

Batty Matty

Free Member
Jun 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im a newbie
Hello people

Thanks for having me in the forum.

My Thai wife and I are thinking about moving back to the UK next year - we live in Thailand and have done for years - we are thinking about buying a motorhome when we move back for holidays and what have you. But first off we would like to rent one for our holiday back to the UK in August, to travel over Europe for 10 days (France, Switzerland, and Italy) mostly for the adventure, but also to gauge if owning a motorhome might be for us or not.

I have been on Google and searched for motorhomes to rent but there are a ton of websites to choose from. I was thinking you experts might be able to point us towards the best company/website to use? There are just two of us, but we would like a 4-6 birth so it is nice and roomy and would like something with insurance and roadside assistance as part of the deal. It looks like some companies are fine with international rentals and others are not so again, if you guys have any advice on where to look that would be really helpful.

Camptoo seemed like a good option as it is privately owned rentals only? I guess that makes it priced a bit cheaper than renting from a company, but I dont know if private owners will like the idea of a newbie driving accross Europe and if they include insurance etc?

On that note I am ok with the driving - I used to drive a 7.5 wagon for UPS back in my 20's so I can handle a motorhome across Europe no problem. Touch wood.

One option might be to actually buy a motorhome right now and if we decide this is not for us, we could always sell it. But I prefer the idea of renting one to begin with as we are not 100% decided if we will move back or not, and I don't want to spend any time on our once a year holiday back to the UK with the hassle of selling a motorhome.

Also, do we need to plan for campsites across France, Swiss and Italy and book in advance or is it something you can just play by ear as you are driving? Im assuming there must be plenty of places to pitch up for the night in those countries and its probably not something you need to pre-plan in advance?

Any advice here is massively appreciated. I figured a few hours on Google would do the trick but I am feeling a little lost here, some expert advice would be great!

Many thanks

Matt

OP
OP
B

Batty Matty

Free Member
Jun 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im a newbie
Upvote 0

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
Rethink your itinerary as well, 10 days to do UK-France-Italy-Switzerland-UK is way too much unless all you want to do is drive every day all day.
MH’s are all about layout to suit your needs, I’d recommend hiring what you think you would like as a “try before you buy” approach (Disclaimer....that’s not the path I followed :blusher:)
Rgds
Jim

Upvote 0

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Across Europe you don't need to use costly campsites. There are always places (off the motorways) in most towns villages and by beauty spots especially designed and built for camper vans and motorhomes called Aires. (Aire de Camping Car in French, Autocaravanna in Spanish Stellplatz in German) Mostly free with water, and waste, and some have free electricity all provided by the local community.

Tons of info on here and on Google about them. Beats campsites IMHO hands down most of them.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
far too much for a ten day holiday took us five days to get to venice and we were rushing

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
AUGUST !!
When a lot of people are on holiday and everywhere is packed. If you could push that Into early September I think you will have a better experience.
Agree with others. 10 days far to short for such a journey.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back