Newbie looking to upgrade to MH with large garage. (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Merdymort

Merdymort

Free Member
Sep 6, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7063f
Exp
Recently changed from Transit Campervan
Do you have any recommendations for dealers with lots of stock so we can go compare styles, preferably no further south than Coventry 😁

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
From reports I've read on here no dealers have 'lots of stock' due to very high pandemic-driven demand during the past 18 months or so. Prices for those available have increased substantially.
I suggest you do a web search (e.g Google) to find dealers and browse their listed stock.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Thank you, def old enough to not worry about weight (only on myself!) I have predominantly been looking at German brands, is it a given that they would have the double floor or do I need to check on each model? In terms of mileage I think it was probably only Rust I was concerned about, how do they fare, are any extra precautions taken compared to say a Sprinter?
Some German brands do not have double floors, the EuraMobil’s are all built with double floors with the tanks in between the floors. Look around and take you retime to get the make/model that suits your own needs. Rust is not the big issue for most builds these days except on the base vehicle, eg the Fiat Ducato part as they are all built with weight being kept low with light weight but strong materials. Much that looks wood like is actually aluminium covered to look like wood!. Internal walls are often hollow so the fixings may not be as robust as you might hope.

Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
Welcome from Cheshire east. We are shortly collecting our 2005 Niesmann and Bischoff Arto 69gl with a double floor, fixed rear bed and drop down over cab bed. Have fun! It's addictive on here!

Jan 3, 2021
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
majestic 194 elldis
Exp
since 2003
Hello try a elldis yes they are a cheaper motorhome but you get more for your money, for a large garage try high single beds ie 194 which is a new layout from elldis thankyou

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Some German brands do not have double floors, the EuraMobil’s are all built with double floors with the tanks in between the floor
True, our Hymer Mercedes 2006 vintage is rear wheel drive so the drive shaft gets in the way. However the floor is well insulated and the fresh water tank is in board whilst the grey tank is within an insulating cover with heating supplied to the cavity round the tank from the air blown heating system so it's not a problem in practice.

OP
OP
Merdymort

Merdymort

Free Member
Sep 6, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7063f
Exp
We have a Laika 4009 which has a large garage can fit 3/4 bikes depending whether all MTB, Road bikes or mixed. Having a large door on either side makes loading/unloading easier as you have bikes facing different directions to load them all. Worth measuring and trying out the garage space as it's like Tetris trying to fit everything in.
WHat do you recommend as minimum dimensions for garage door for MTBs please?

OP
OP
Merdymort

Merdymort

Free Member
Sep 6, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7063f
Exp
There is a lot of choice out there... well if you are down south it seems, every one I look at is 200 miles away :D

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
WHat do you recommend as minimum dimensions for garage door for MTBs please?
Without being flippant depends on how big your bikes are, it seems to be the ceiling height and any cross-members that might cause problems. We have a Dutch-style sit up and beg bike which is the main problem due to height and I am loathe to remove wheels and handlebars each time so that has to go in the tallest spots but the kid's MTB and my road bike will fit in most places in the garage.

Having a good sized door either side makes for easier loading and unloading.

The dimensions on our Laika doors are right 117×96 cm, left 122×65 cm

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
As for the weight. This Garage used to contain a Racing Motorbike with ALL mechanics gear. We have chairs a table and 2 E-Bikes.
Our Kampa Awning sits mid Moho when travelling.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
I was past a dealer the other day somewhere between the A39 turn off for Matlock and Baslow or the M1Tunr off for Chesterfield and Baslow, In fact, i think it was the latter. There seemed a lot of vehicles parked there. Do not ask the locations as I was on my way taking my wife to a course.

Oct 24, 2022
Kings Lynn
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
about 5 years
Hi all, I've done my stint with a transit campervan and now am hoping to upgrade, nothing crazy money, around 30k I expect. Main considerations are large garage for bikes and cruise control! Anyone fit 4 bikes in their garage, or use the over cab bed for bike bags? :)
Ideally looking for 4 berth but so long as 4 travelling seats it's acceptable. I am wondering at the difference between the van based chassis and 'brick' shaped fish bowl A class ones... I don't really want anything beyond 7m but this is based on what I feel might be practical and the airy feel of that fish bowl cab is appealing.
I'd love to hear some pros and cons from owners, including economy, does it make a big difference the shape you go for? Also, year round use, what should I be looking for if I want to use in winter too. Any advice and thoughts greatly appreciated, thank you for reading :)
Well we're fairly new to motorhoming and I can share my personal thoughts with you on types of vans, coach built vans out number A class vans economy does vary by the shape A class are more aerodynamic than coach built ie fuel consumption, most are fully winterised, engine wise better of with cam chain motor, length of van is the difficult one the long vans have there problems in towns parking up etc, but you obviously have more internal space for better layouts I prefer A class vans and they are all I think European and some older ones are great buys and fantastic quality, spend as much time as you can checking out as many vans as you can to see what is right for you as it will save you much cash in the long run, best of luck.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
This is an old thread,I think the OP bought a Rapido 7063f last year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back