Newbie looking for hints and tips (1 Viewer)

janetla

Free Member
Jul 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Never travelled in a motorhome in this country, only in USA many years ago. Have been given the loan of a 6 berth for september, as our planned trip to Greece was cancelled. Looking for ideas for a trip to the Scottish highlands, from South Yorkshire, with only one driver (long story). Hoping this will be the first of many trips as we have been offered the loan of this vehicle, any time we like.

OP
OP
J

janetla

Free Member
Jul 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Thank you. I hope we're going to have a really good week, but as we've not done this in the UK before, we'll probably need quite a bit of advice. We're in the planning stage at the minute, so I have no doubt I'll be back on here a few times before we actually embark on this trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
From S Yorks I would think of an anti-clock tour, that way you can make the most of the A1 northbound from base/home
Worth considering Northumberland on the way for a stopover, some lovely sites/locations. If not then a tad further gets you to The Borders, again great towns and countryside.
You say you have a week so my advice would be donā€™t overdo the travelling bit, as with all regions, Scotland can be toured area by area
Also worth doing a bit of research on times and places for the well documented Scottish Midge
Enjoy

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello GIF by DJ Khaled

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Welcome, main bit of advice, take it nice and steady, short hops rather than marathon mega miles. Enjoy your trip and keepyour sense of humour you may need it.

Dec 16, 2017
AlmuƱƩcar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
The rule of two stood us in good stead for the first few trips, until we got more organised at pitching up, setting up dog leads, connecting electrics, emptying grey & black, filling fresh etc etc:
  1. No more than 200 miles a day
  2. Arrive at your destination before 14:00
  3. Stay at least 2 days.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Remember you are not in a race enjoy a leisurely drive and take in the sights šŸ‘€

Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
:hi2: w2f:cheers: As well as here, have a look on you tube for motorhomer's adventures. Will help you refine your thoughts. Oh, and if you are coming to Scotland, don't forget the "Smidge" cream ( at least until mid September).

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
Here are a few sites to help you start,

Have a safe trip and if your not sure if you can fit down a road, get out and have a look or park up outside the place you want go too and get public transport in

Had a fab vanventure

Danial

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
:hiya:
only one driver is no problem but as you say ā€œwe have been offered ā€œ, I assume a second adult. Use that second person as a co-driver to help look out for obstructions and signs, particularly low bridges and overhanging trees. It can be easy to forget about the bit ā€œon topā€! Donā€™t blindly follow sat nav.

Take your time about everything and ask questions if unsure.
UK motorhomes are made of spit and cardboard so if you want to borrow it again, itā€™s not only you that has to be happy when you return, but the owners too šŸ¤ž

OP
OP
J

janetla

Free Member
Jul 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
I'm really interested in all of your insights. I kind of wondering if we are being a bit too ambitious for a first outing. If it was our only go at it, maybe I'd want to do the scotland trip, but as it's an open offer to use this motorhome again, possibly we ought to consider being nearer to home. We had actually thought of northumberland/durham, possibly yorkshire dales which we love. The route I had looked at did include the no more than 200 miles a day, and stay 2 days, apart from the journey home, which we can take all day over. I can see this is going to take a great deal of thought. If we had both drivers it would be so very much easier, but the DVLA will do what the DVLA does. Which is not a lot currently due to their many issues and problems.

OP
OP
J

janetla

Free Member
Jul 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Fab information thanks all. Will take some time to look at it all when we come to make a basic plan. It's just a nuisance having the one driver. There are 4 of us, myself and husband, daughter and her husband. Daughter only one with C1. My husband applied to get his back but DVLA are so slow we don't know if it will be processed in time. Son in law has restricted licence and I also gave up C1. It's one of the reasons why we wonder if highlands is too ambitious in a week. Much consideration to be given to this methinks.

OP
OP
J

janetla

Free Member
Jul 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
After due consideration, scotland is too ambitious for us this time. Looking to northumberland, much closer to home. Want to visit Vindolanda and Beamish so would want a site between the two to start off with, then moving to the coast. All my google searches for 'motorhome camp sites ...' come up with numerous sites that are not for touring camping at all but more static caravans, lodges and the like. Can anyone help with a website, other than the caravan club one, that only shows the type of site we are looking for. I have found a few from google, but am beginning to be rather worried that everything is booked up now.

Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
We use combination of Pitch Up Camp Mate and Trip Advisor. Works for us!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back