Newbie looking for first motorhome (1 Viewer)

Wayneb

Free Member
Jul 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
Hi all looking to purchase my first motorhome in the next 12mth are left hand drive cheaper for any reason thanks in advance people

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
LHD are less in demand in a RHD country and vice versa. Probably dearer to insure as well { any reason a prospective insurer can hoof up the premium ? }. After about 20 mins of driving a LHD they become ok to drive. They can and should be cheaper to buy but cash is king. With cash you can buy anyone's van. If you are new to motorhomes do lots of research before buying as there are lots of good vans out there and lots of bad ones too.
I have a German built RHD Dethleffs. Hymers are good. Autocruise look good but can suffer from water ingress along the sides { inside the lockers }.
Best to have a Pre-purchase inspection before parting with big money. Remember 99.9999999% of Motorhome Dealer's priority is the deal and profit margin not to ensure a customer has a bargain. That's my advice.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Lots and lots of advice about buying a first motorhome, including an excellent publication by Jim, the site's owner, free to fully paid up members. Only a couple of days ago a newbie saved £1500 on a van purchase purely from the advice she received. Gotta be worth £15.00

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
8CA1696B-15F0-4409-89C7-085214C2FF6B.jpeg

and Welcome from both of us.

You will get good advice as well as some tongue in cheek responses here.

The usual rule is that your third motorhome is your ideal one as you use them and get to know what is important to you.

Everyone has different preferences, hence PVCs, Coach Built, A Class even.

Enjoy the learning curve.

By the way, we drive our motorhome mainly in mainland Europe and it is RHD. We don’t find any problems.

OP
OP
W

Wayneb

Free Member
Jul 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
Hi and :welcome4:

Any particular reason you ask about left-hand drive?
Not really terry just that I’ve been looking round and left hand drives seem cheaper

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Britewells Auction near Leominster have regular Motorhome Auctions.
eg, has a Dealer van with little interest and will send it there to sell off the forecourt.
Details are normally published on the interweb of auction lots.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I think LHD are cheaper as they have a bigger market, you don't see many RHD on foreign plates but plenty of LHD on UK plates.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi Wayneb and another big w2f I havehad no problem with LHD cars and vans over the years,
My suggestion is buy the van that suits you best and don’t worry about drive side just Enjoy.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Hellow and welcome! :)

We have LHD as we travel outside the UK more than we do in it.

We haven’t found LHD to be cheaper... on the contrary we found them to be more sought after. If you buy LHD you then open a wide marketplace in europe when changing the vehicle. There us no difference in insurance cost.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back