Newbie looking for 1st motorhome (1 Viewer)

Woodbine

Free Member
Sep 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Hi. We're a retired couple looking for 1st motorhome for new adventures. Budget around £25k. Mostly just 2 of us travelling ... But occasionally with 3 grandkids. Have browsed your forum over a few months ...found it friendly and useful thanks.
Found plenty of 2 berth vans to suit us. But factoring in grandkids is less straightforward as we'd prefer to keep van reasonably small. Options considered for far ... Older hymer b544, chausson flash 03, chausson 22, elddis 180. Which would you recommend please .. Or are there other better contenders.
We did wonder if a smaller van (e.g. Elddis 130) might do as some of these are advertised with 4 travel seats around dinette (lap belts on rear facing seats). But not sure if the lap belts factory fitted / approved. Any thou the is be more appreciated. Thanks.

Jan 31, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
CI Cipro 85
Exp
im a newbie
Hi, welcome to M/H fun. I have our CI cipro 85 advertised on here 2/3 birth.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
while taking the grandkids sounds like a great idea, in reality its better to get a van that suits you first.

start by deciding whether you want a fixed bed (in our view the most important) then size of fridge, do you need an oven etc, how and where you will use it will also dictate what on board facilities you will need.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
My boys (older) prefer to take over the awning/gazebo with camp beds......
Buy the MH for you first and fit them around you?

OP
OP
W

Woodbine

Free Member
Sep 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Sound advice thanks ... I think we'll do as you suggest and buy something to suit the two of us. Will try a few out for preferred layout.

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Hi woodbine, I agree with others, I'd get a fixed bed mh or van and put the grandchildren in tent or you'll end up with overly large and for your budget old vehicle.

Tea break

Free Member
Jul 28, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
:hiya2: :pink::wine:Buy what you want for yourselves and don’t worry about any body else

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi and Welcome. It's good to put the grandkids in a tent outside to give them their first fun of camping but you will still need five belted seats to take them on holiday. Agree with above comments to purchase a van / motorhome to suit the two of you.

OP
OP
W

Woodbine

Free Member
Sep 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Thanks for all your advice. I'm relaxed about having limited number of berths on-board as i like your 'camping outside' ideas.

Finding a modest sized van with 5 belted seats may be more problematic. Saw a few 'dinette layout' vans with 6 belts (often lap belts on rear facing seats) which might do ...also I think I've seen a chausson (best of 22?) Which had fixed bed and nice front lounge with 5 belts ..Which would suit us nicely. Any other options (other than leaving kids at home)?

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Hi and welcome, we too have just embarked into the motor home world, also wanting to bring family/ grandkids, we got ourselves a hymer camp 546 2003, 5 berth, was looking for seatbelts aswell, our layout over cab, large double, dinette becomes double, then also has long side bench which folds out, definitely not what either of us were originally looking for, but we saw it, loved it, on out 1 st solo trip this weekend, good luck sure to just look at all configurations ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back