Newbie help please!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by blueboybrian, May 15, 2012.

  1. blueboybrian


    May 15, 2012
    Hello everyone,
    I have just retired and purchased a 2006 fourwinds Majestic 23 foot from Cruise america in Arizona. We fly out to pick it up on 24th May, after which we then have 3 months in the US and maybe 4 months in Canada.

    Its been a chore, but I hope I understand some of the law surrounding our purchase. Apparently, as we dont live in Arizona and the law has recently changed in that State, we only get a temporary 90 day "tag" from the supplier. As I have obtained a mail drop in California, he advises registering it when we arrive in that State, though we will be travelling through others and can easily get a state drop box address their.

    My intention is to go into Canada at 90 days anyhow, and then export maybe 4 months later, from Halifax NS (Will I have to pay UK duty, as I am paying Arizona tax on purchase?)

    My insurance is sorted with a Florida Company, who have used the temporary tag address and advised me to change to my California drop box, when registered their.

    As you can imagine, Im more than a little confused by the red tape, and just wondered if anyone has any advice on export and internal registration / insurance etc.

    Thanks for any help
  2. slobadoberbob


    Jun 1, 2009
    Kent, garden of England
    Oh dear, oh dear

    Firstly welcome to the forum.

    I read the post and noted you are intending bringing it back to the UK... Are you aware the law changed on the 1st April this year and all motorhomes now have to go through the new SVA test... that means a lot of the RV's cannot comply with the rules... I would have a word with someone like Signature Motorhomes as they have the only VOSA approved test station and they know the rules backwards. I know a few RV makers have made an RV to meet the new regulations but I doubt that one of the ex hire Four winds will get past the test without a lot of work.

    I have imported my own Winnebago so have been through the issues as they were a few years back.

    It was fairly easy in those days.. pay the VAT on arrival and then get an MOT, register it and then the paperwork gets moved around by DVLA so it is not registered on chassis numbers.

    You get great value with the ex hire vehicles, but they do tend to have high mileages on the clock. Though Cruise America do refurbish them back at the factory before they are sold (mostly).. few come with an awning.. that will cause an issue now on the SVA.. some ship them over in side the RV.. or used to... but there are a few suppliers in the UK where you can get all the bits you may want for service and parts. Owning an RV in the UK is not very strange these days... Had my first one 25 years back.

    Anyway, hope you have a ball of a time in the USA.. a few have registered them as LLC (companies) and then used them.. it is getting harder to register them in the USA unless you have an address.. then except for a few tax free states, there is the tax to pay there and here.

    Anyway if you have some questions..p.m. me

  3. chatter


    Aug 3, 2009
    if you ask this question on our sister site which is for american vehicles, im sure one or two will be able to advise, some have bought over there and imported it after touring the states
  4. f6c

    f6c Funster

    Nov 7, 2010

    Welcome aboard:winky:

Share This Page