Newbie help Needed Please - (1 Viewer)

S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
Hi all,

first time abroad next year. Will be going in school holidays from the 9th to 25th August. How easy is it to get overnight sites. Do you have to book in advance or just turn up> We favour as much flexibility as poss and just go with the flow...

And, if booked up solid, can you pop in to sites during the day and use their toliet disposal facilities?

Sorry for dumb questions..

PS, plan is to go Hook of Holland, Holland, Belgium, Lux and retrun via calais.

OP
OP
S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
Are we allowed to bump our questions up to the top if no response?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Stu,

It really depends on what you want to do. Some people with children would not dream of going to another country without having everything pre-booked. But it can be hard to find a pitch in some areas in August.

It sounds like you might be thinking of wild camping with your reference to just popping into a site to use the facilities during the day This is hardly ever planned, you just go where you fancy, and explore. Many wild campers book into a site every now and then just to use the facilities, say wildcamping for 3 days and using a site for just one or two.

As this is your first time away I would advise that you do try to make an itinerary for yourself, look at the guide books, Link Removed and book a couple of sites at least. I rarely plan and go with the flow, but some say that planning is one of the best bits and plan each trip meticulously

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Hi all,

first time abroad next year. Will be going in school holidays from the 9th to 25th August. How easy is it to get overnight sites. Do you have to book in advance or just turn up> We favour as much flexibility as poss and just go with the flow...

And, if booked up solid, can you pop in to sites during the day and use their toliet disposal facilities?

Sorry for dumb questions..

PS, plan is to go Hook of Holland, Holland, Belgium, Lux and retrun via calais.

Hi Stu,

You will usually find a pitch, it might not be what you want but as long as you don't leave it too late in the day you should be OK.

If you plan to visit a very popular area I would suggest you book in advance and then play it by ear for the rest of the time.

It is almost impossible to wild/free camp in the Netherlands so don't even think about it.

I don't know your route but if you look out for the Aires/Stellplatze you can usually empty your tanks there.

Sites are not usually keen on motorhomes using their facilities if they do allow it it might be expensive.

Safe travelling

Don

Geoff

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Evesham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on & off for 20 yrs
Hi Stu. All I can say is go for it. Can't help much with Holland & Belgium, but we went last year for the first time, including 11 yr. old son and 6 mth old daughter, didn't book anything exept the ferry and had a great time, however we went via Germany to the alps and back via Italy and France, used very few sites, but found where we went to be much more M.H. friendly than overhere, with plenty of dumps, water filling points and Aires. I must add that we are probably quite mad :Wacko: as we went again this year, (went as far as Hungary (wouldn't rush back) and back via Slovinia (Magic place)). Can recommend Aire at Gravelines, between Dunkirque and Calais, only about 20 mins from either port, for an overnight stop either on the way out or comming back. We also traveled with Norfolk Line both times and found them very good. Have a great time and ENJOY. Regards Geoff.

OP
OP
S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
Thanks All, good to know.

Er, what is an Aires? :Blush::Blush:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
They are a network of stopping places specifically designed for motor homes or camping cars as the French call them.They are often run by the local town council but some are private. Link Removed

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Thanks All, good to know.

Er, what is an Aires? :Blush::Blush:

Hi Stu,

Many motorhome owners who have been to mainland Europe will have come across, and maybe used, the excellent network of 'aires' set aside for motorhomes. Those who know about this will not need an explanation, but for those unfamiliar with the setup, here is a brief description of how it works in France, there are similar setups in Germany (Stellplatz) and Italy (Sostas).

Basically, an 'aire' in this context is a place set up, usually by a local community, where there is a facility for motorhomes to replenish fresh water and empty grey and black water, sometimes there is an electric hook-up available. Sometimes the facilities are provided free of charge, sometimes there is a fee of a few Euros. In addition there are sometimes overnight parking places provided - again sometimes free and sometimes a small fee is charged.

The network is well used by motorhome owners across Europe and brings benefits to the communities that set them up, since it brings in visitors to spend money with the local traders. Indeed at some of the more popular locations there is a delivery of fresh croissants and baguettes for breakfast every morning!

Most 'aires' are listed in annual publications, Vicarious Books http://www.vicariousbooks.co.uk./ stocks most of the guides for Europe and have also published an English language guide to the French aires.

Also http://www.eurocampingcar.com/index2.php3?lg=uk&cat_id=0
http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm These sites contain a wealth of info on stop overs in Europe.

These town/village aires must not be confused with the French motorway service stations also called aires. I personally would recommend that you do not over night on the motorway aires.

Safe travelling

Don

Zozzer

Free Member
Nov 4, 2007
Leigh, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Not Long Enough
I did my first trip abroad in July 2006 and had no problem getting on a site each.
I was advise (on another group) to always try get to your chosen site early rather than late. Also, have 2nd site close by, just in case the 1st is full of or not to your liking.

Take a look here:
Link Removed

I can thoroughly recommend the book and DVD.

Buy it in the UK, dont do as I did and get it from the little stationary shop opposite the catherdal in Ypres. The book is in BELGIAN. :whatthe: ( Not quite the bargain I thought ) :Doh: The DVD is in English.:thumb:

Enjoy your trip.

We can't wait for next year to go again. Wonderfull experience the first time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back