Mar 12, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Newbie but as a youngster
Hi everyone,
My names Paul im 24 and looking at buying my first motorhome.
I recently thought of the idea to live in a motorhome after amountless bills and rent from my flat. I have researched all the reason TO and NOT to live in a motorhome and stilll cant see a reason not to so to be honest ive grown up doing it most weekends and will love it so im going to live my dream anyway and crack on regardless.
What im wanting to know is some recomendations on the best camper to buy for myself and possible girlfriend now and then to live in with a garage to fit a Motorbike in and a good Diesel Engine.
Can anybody point me in the rite direction as i know Salesmen have our pants down these days so any help would be appreciated.
Many Thanks
Paul :thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Living in a Motorhome

Hi Paul,

yes you can certainly live much cheaper in a motorhome than paying rent for a regular house. But the initial cost of purchasing a Motorhome can be high, and it's well known that most people buy three Motorhomes before their finally happy, that can prove to be VERY expensive. The main reasons for the multiple purchases, more often than not, is the internal layout does not suit. People just don't do their homework. They buy while excited and overwhelmed and then regret it.

You need to sit in a LOT of vans, there is so much choice. Panel vans are fantastic and really are great for touring, but... A coachbuilt just a few inches wider makes a massive difference in useability. It really does depend on what you want and the type of touring you will be doing. Go to a show, (there are one or two every month from March to Nov) and sit in as many as you can, sit on the loo, stand in the shower, lay on the bed and lounge on the sofa. Imagine yourself, using the kitchen, where are the breakfast cereals stored, where will you keep a muddy pair of wellies ect ect.

Do your homework, become an expert in the models you seek, it's certainly not time wasted. See the link in my signature for the buyers guide, it will save you a fortune. Best of luck, I wish you well in this new and exciting chapter

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi there Paul,

Welcome to FUN. :Smile:

There's not a lot that can be added to Jim's good advice above, in the way of help, however, it is very important that you buy with the head, and not the heart.

All the best with your quest for "freedom". :thumb:

Jock (& Rita).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
:welcomefunster: to the mad hse
jim has answered nearly all your questions and the weight can be a issue stay within the 3.5ton we looked at buying a motorhome and was viewing them for nearly 2 years and even though we are really happy with what we have we will be changing it in possible a year or 2 i dont think anyone gets it right 1st time but as we bought used we wont lose much if anything when we trade it the advice we was given was used means no vat and also any problems are norm ally sorted by the previous owner good luck and safe roads to you

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi Paul and welcome to MHFun..from a fellow Yorkshireman (Doncaster)....
Us Yorkshire men always have something big...so I have had a good scout around for...you did say it was for just you and maybe the girlfriend....Mmmm well I think this will suit your purpose:thumb:

Broken Link Removed

Mel

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Hi Paul and welcome to MHFun..from a fellow Yorkshireman (Doncaster)....
Us Yorkshire men always have something big...so I have had a good scout around for...you did say it was for just you and maybe the girlfriend....Mmmm well I think this will suit your purpose:thumb:

Broken Link Removed

Mel

'As tha nowt bigger lad ? :winky:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Broken Link Removed

I will have a look ??:Doh: Mmmm I thought it might be just big enough for a single guy and his girlfriend

Mel

I was thinking about all the "best mates" he will suddenly have that want to party and stay for a few nights. ::bigsmile:

AndyPandy

Free Member
Jun 14, 2012
Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Paul and welcome along.

Your plan sounds brilliant and im sure you will get the right van for you. To that end theres a couple of motorhome shows comin up soon which you and the missus could go and have a good look round.

Harrogate is 22 to 24 this month and York after that. Theres loads of others too but they are north and not too far from you.

Happy hunting

Andy

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Paul and wecome :thumb: you said 24 rs old, make sure you can get insurance :Eeek: lot's will not insure under 25s :Eeek: although a member came on a few months back at 17 and said he got insured by Aviva :thumb:
Like Jim says sit in as many vans as possible etc etc To have a garage you may have to look at sports home type vans.You don't say what your budget is so it's hard to say what /which van:winky: Good luck on your search :thumb:
Terry

OP
OP
P

P5MXR

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Thanks to everyone for your comments. I sure would love to own that big truck its so sick! Is there any photos of the inside?

So i have taken all your comments on board, i am going to do this when im 25 as i have found a company called Anthony D Evans who insure drivers 25+ and its real cheap if any of you are due to renew yours go check it out on google.

I do want a coachbuilt camper with a garage to fit my bike, tools and powerwash in. Prices to be honest doesnt matter i want something that works for me and will be treating it like a mortgage as im paying £500 rent at the minute and getting nothing its silly not to put £500 into a camper that then will be mine. I dont want to own a house so this for me is the best option out there i CANT wait.

So does anybody recommend of have some comments on a good Coachbuilt with a garage? I am looking aswell, i just would like peoples opinion with experience instead of a salesman on commission.

Thanks again :thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Thanks to everyone for your comments. I sure would love to own that big truck its so sick! Is there any photos of the inside?

So i have taken all your comments on board, i am going to do this when im 25 as i have found a company called Anthony D Evans who insure drivers 25+ and its real cheap if any of you are due to renew yours go check it out on google.

I do want a coachbuilt camper with a garage to fit my bike, tools and powerwash in. Prices to be honest doesnt matter i want something that works for me and will be treating it like a mortgage as im paying £500 rent at the minute and getting nothing its silly not to put £500 into a camper that then will be mine. I dont want to own a house so this for me is the best option out there i CANT wait.

So does anybody recommend of have some comments on a good Coachbuilt with a garage? I am looking aswell, i just would like peoples opinion with experience instead of a salesman on commission.

Thanks again :thumb:

Look out for a German motorhome....not always new is the best....some of the older 4 to 9 year old are better and stronger made...try and find a well maintained low mileage motorhome, quite easy to find in the Uk as many persons do not have the time to use them to there full..and may only do from 2000 to 4000 miles a year...for many reasons, either work, family commitments, ....or just the cost of running in the uk which can be on the expensive side.
Have somebody check it out for you if possible....check for damp..habitation checks...check for cam belt changes if its a Fiat...I think a merc engine is chain...make sure the Oil & Filters has been changed every year...check the tyres...there should be a date on them...rule of thumb around 6 years...it's the weight being on the tire walls all the time....

Mel

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I do want a coachbuilt camper with a garage to fit my bike, tools and powerwash in.

Hi Paul and welcome to the Fun! :welcome:

Re garage: be careful about load carrying capacity of vans with garages. Just because the garage is large enough to take a motorbike doesn't necessarily mean that the van can cope with the weight. It's to do with overhang behind the rear axle. Somewhere on here there's a thread that does the maths on this. :Smile:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Before diving in you need to check out the insurance situationfrom what ive heard anyone under 25 can have trouble insuring a motorhome and full timing can also be dififficult adding the two together may make your dream unatainable for now

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Hi Paul.... welcome to The Fun..... lots of folks on here happy to help!

I'm still a newbie myself, but your mention of wanting space for your powerwash struck a cord.... I may be being a bit naive and paranoid, but I have been warned about powerwash's and motorhomes... they can apparently cause damage to seals (leading to damp problems) and delicate decals.... so do take care! (go on, tell me the powerwash is for your motorbike and you wouldn't dream of turning it on your MH!)

Simon
:thumb:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi everyone,
My names Paul im 24 and looking at buying my first motorhome.
I recently thought of the idea to live in a motorhome after amountless bills and rent from my flat. I have researched all the reason TO and NOT to live in a motorhome and stilll cant see a reason not to so to be honest ive grown up doing it most weekends and will love it so im going to live my dream anyway and crack on regardless.
What im wanting to know is some recomendations on the best camper to buy for myself and possible girlfriend now and then to live in with a garage to fit a Motorbike in and a good Diesel Engine.
Can anybody point me in the rite direction as i know Salesmen have our pants down these days so any help would be appreciated.
Many Thanks
Paul :thumb:

You may struggle to find something under 3.5t with a big enough garage with the weight capacity for a motorbike and yet still comfortable for full timing, which would be much more pleasant with a fixed double and separate lounge/diner.

You could take your C or C1 test which will give you a wider choice. The problem then is that the garage can make anything over 3.5t count as a "living van" requiring lots of HGV related nonsense.

Is the bike something special that needs a garage? If it is just a runabout so you don't need to drive the thing to the shops, you could probably find something very comfortable for full time living that would take the bike on a rack (check the rear axle loadings will cope first). However, you probably don't want an S1000RR stuck on the back, ready to be nicked.

Make sure it has, or can be fitted with, a fixed underslung gas tank for living. You don't want to be changing bottles every couple of days.

Also, don't discount petrol. With an LPG conversion at 70p a litre, it is significantly cheaper to run than a diesel, even if the fuel economy per litre is a little less than diesel. The need refill the LPG driving tanks regularly means your underslung tank stays topped up, too.

OP
OP
P

P5MXR

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
You may struggle to find something under 3.5t with a big enough garage with the weight capacity for a motorbike and yet still comfortable for full timing, which would be much more pleasant with a fixed double and separate lounge/diner.

You could take your C or C1 test which will give you a wider choice. The problem then is that the garage can make anything over 3.5t count as a "living van" requiring lots of HGV related nonsense.

Is the bike something special that needs a garage? If it is just a runabout so you don't need to drive the thing to the shops, you could probably find something very comfortable for full time living that would take the bike on a rack (check the rear axle loadings will cope first). However, you probably don't want an S1000RR stuck on the back, ready to be nicked.

Make sure it has, or can be fitted with, a fixed underslung gas tank for living. You don't want to be changing bottles every couple of days.

Also, don't discount petrol. With an LPG conversion at 70p a litre, it is significantly cheaper to run than a diesel, even if the fuel economy per litre is a little less than diesel. The need refill the LPG driving tanks regularly means your underslung tank stays topped up, too.

I am considering taking my C1 so i have a wider variety but like you say need to meet other requirements with the law.

I have been looking ar Dethleffs Espirit.

Does anybody have good or bad comments about one of those, I know i have seen quite a few around the race paddock so could be ideal for my bike to be in the back as people currently use these.

I am very interested in the Fun Movers due to the huge garage and living space but know i cant drive this on a normal licence, ive heard lots of problems with them and they are either big V8 or V10's with rubbish fuel consumption.

Is a Fun mover not the rite direction and maybe a Dethleffs type of MH?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
You will have great difficulty in getting finance with no fixed abode and if you did, £500 a month repayments on a five year term will only get you around £25k of finance plus you will need a reasonable deposit.

Peter

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I am considering taking my C1 so i have a wider variety but like you say need to meet other requirements with the law.

I have been looking ar Dethleffs Espirit.

Does anybody have good or bad comments about one of those, I know i have seen quite a few around the race paddock so could be ideal for my bike to be in the back as people currently use these.

I am very interested in the Fun Movers due to the huge garage and living space but know i cant drive this on a normal licence, ive heard lots of problems with them and they are either big V8 or V10's with rubbish fuel consumption.

Is a Fun mover not the rite direction and maybe a Dethleffs type of MH?

The Fun Mover looks ideal, but you'll probably fall foul of the "living van" rules.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
You will have great difficulty in getting finance with no fixed abode and if you did, £500 a month repayments on a five year term will only get you around £25k of finance plus you will need a reasonable deposit.

Peter

Ah but he will have an address when he takes out the finance:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back