Newbie have I made big mistake? (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Good tip about the tyres. We ring Glossops tomorrow to get a date to pick the Hymer up. Can't wait to have our first trip out!
Just one other tip for when you pick it up. If you come back using the A628, leave Glossop on the A57 to its junction with the A628 at Hollingworth rather than either of the two other alternatives the sat nav might give you because they are both awkward junctions to the A628 in a large vehicle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Good tip...

when I inspected the tyres on the Hymer they were date coded .. 0806 .. plenty of tread left but well past the safe use by date..
for those who don't know.. the date code is on the edge of the tyre near the rim just after the DOT code..

The first two letters are the week of the year, and the second two numbers the year.

As soon as I pointed this out the dealer agreed to fit four new.. I doubt very much if they would have changed them otherwise, as it had just passed an MOT .

Picture1.jpg
how do you know the safe use by date, please?

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Hello
We pick up our motorhome on Tuesday from glossop caravans.

Very nervous as new to this game, but I can share our experience with Glossop so far:
Once the sale is made, the salesmen are really really not interested in you anymore.
However, the dispatch team have been very helpful and lagely answered all my queries promptly. They certainly give the impression they want to help.
They are very busy at the moment, so taking longer to get back to me with any queries I have.
I have arranged an independant inspection when we pick it up ( get the impression that hasnt gone down too well)
Tony ( independant electric man!) does work for them and has been very helpful

BUT all in all so far I feel ok about them. I will let you know how it goes when we actually go to pick up the mh!

OP
OP
Tinty
Mar 29, 2015
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Sue thanks for letting me know. I hope everything goes well on Tuesday, who have you got to do an independent inspection? As I'm having trouble finding someone in that area. We pick the motorhome up on the 24th. So excited and nervous as very new to this but so glad I've found this forum.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Hi there and welcome to MHF(y)
Brian & Jo

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
how do you know the safe use by date, please?
It depends a bit who you ask & it does depend a bit on how & where the vehicle has been stored & used.

However, almost everyone will agree that up to five years old is fine. Equally, most will agree that anything over seven years is definitely due for a change.

Between five & seven years, more frequent careful checking for cracking of the sidewalls is sensible - not forgetting to check both sides. The trouble is, not all age related deterioration is visible from the outside, but you would consider yourself unlucky to have an age related failure at under seven years.

EDIT: I've just read that back & it sounds as if I know what I'm talking about. :ROFLMAO:
Actually, it's just repeating what a lot of people on here have said before. But I think it's a fair representation of the general view.

Reactions: Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
I had major issue with Glossop and would never deal with them again on principle (major damp in a 2 year old van )
but in fairness to them the staff were very good with us and did try to help I only fell out with the sales director

it seems you are happy with the van and price
my advice would be
make sure your warranty is in order
ask for a copy of up to date damp check report (a must in my opinion)
check the van yourself and take your time doing if you see anything you do not like or are unsure about get them to either fix it then
or make them (not you) make a record of your concerns in handover log

most of the time people end up with a first class van
and lets face it hymer are about as good as you can get

now load up (bet you forget something:rolleyes::whistle:)
bugger off somewhere nice and enjoy yourselves life's too short
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)
just found out the van we were due to collect on tuesday has major damp problems (also glossop). did you get yours fixed and can you give me any advice based on your experience with glossop?please pm me if you think thats more appropriate than replying tnrough this thread. thanks

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Thanks again!

GJH worse than that I chose to live there lol moved from Middlesbrough!

I was going to email the sales guy and raise my concerns ask what my warranty covers and ask about the seeing the damp check report before we go to collect the van, do you think that's fair? I though it would be good to have an email as well with my concerns. Have also invested in a non invasive moisture reader, I thought it best to stay on there site over night so we could do all the checks. Finger crossed all will be fine.
you are doing everything we have/ will do.
sales team wont reply...go to dispatch, and keep a record of all correspondence. looks like we may need it now with the recent major problem unearthed just 5days before we are due to collect!

Paddocker

Free Member
Mar 25, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit Dethleffs
Exp
Newbies
Dealers are dealers are dealers. Bought ours from Lowdhams Huddersfield last October. New MOT and supposedly serviced. Less than 6 months later I've put her in for service and been stung for discs/pads all round and a wheel bearing £££££££

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
just found out the van we were due to collect on tuesday has major damp problems (also glossop). did you get yours fixed and can you give me any advice based on your experience with glossop?please pm me if you think thats more appropriate than replying tnrough this thread. thanks
See pm sue
I ain't getting into a dealer slagging match on open forum

Reactions: Sue
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp

Have you paid If not I would walk away, might even walk away and loose a deposit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back