Newbie! Have a campervan conversion, but looking for a motorhome! (1 Viewer)

Lateagain

Free Member
Feb 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Hi everyone! , we are a family of four - 2 adults and 2 kids age 16 and 11 and we've always camped. Four years ago we bought a Vauxhall Vivaro van and had it converted with a pop-top etc. Drove to Italy via France, Luxembourg and Switzerland in it and loved it. However, having to put the awning up at every stop did become tiresome and now our eldest is too big to fit in the pop top bed area, we've decided to get a motorhome.

We first started researching last January and I soon got an idea of prices - then covid hit. Since then I've watched as prices have increased and now we're looking at getting a lot less for our money. I was reading the guides on here yesterday about haggling - is there any point trying to haggle at the moment? I'm on a few facebook motorhome pages and reading on there, it looks like they are in short supply and that people are demanding really high prices for them as a result.
We are wondering whether to just sell our camper this year and then bank the money and wait until prices reduce back to how they were on motorhomes. Trouble is, we are then back in a tent until we can source one!

any thoughts?

OP
OP
L

Lateagain

Free Member
Feb 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
I should add, budget wise, it would depend on what we could get for the camper, but I would say up to approx Ā£27k..

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Hi everyone! , we are a family of four - 2 adults and 2 kids age 16 and 11 and we've always camped. Four years ago we bought a Vauxhall Vivaro van and had it converted with a pop-top etc. Drove to Italy via France, Luxembourg and Switzerland in it and loved it. However, having to put the awning up at every stop did become tiresome and now our eldest is too big to fit in the pop top bed area, we've decided to get a motorhome.

We first started researching last January and I soon got an idea of prices - then covid hit. Since then I've watched as prices have increased and now we're looking at getting a lot less for our money. I was reading the guides on here yesterday about haggling - is there any point trying to haggle at the moment? I'm on a few facebook motorhome pages and reading on there, it looks like they are in short supply and that people are demanding really high prices for them as a result.
We are wondering whether to just sell our camper this year and then bank the money and wait until prices reduce back to how they were on motorhomes. Trouble is, we are then back in a tent until we can source one!

any thoughts?
Welcome

We did the same

We had a converted T5 with pop top. Loved it but the missus wanted a toilet and shower and also we got fed up of setting up the bed/awning/sliding door/ nowhere for your stuff/no good for Aires etc.. So we bought a 6m Motorhome. Again it was great and I was happy because you could still park in Asda etc and I could pretend it was still a campervan really and I was still young and cool.

But then we saw a 7m Motorhome with a fixed Island Bed/Garage/Big fridge and we swapped to that. No regrets. I can still go to Asda, just have to be creative with parking.

Now the missus is looking at 8m motorhomes.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Welcome

We did the same

We had a converted T5 with pop top. Loved it but the missus wanted a toilet and shower and also we got fed up of setting up the bed/awning/sliding door/ nowhere for your stuff/no good for Aires etc.. So we bought a 6m Motorhome. Again it was great and I was happy because you could still park in Asda etc and I could pretend it was still a campervan really and I was still young and cool.

But then we saw a 7m Motorhome with a fixed Island Bed/Garage/Big fridge and we swapped to that. No regrets. I can still go to Asda, just have to be creative with parking.

Now the missus is looking at 8m motorhomes.
An RV is the next stop! :LOL: ;)

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Greetings peeps welcome from Bexley

Put your money into Premium bonds. Then buy when prices fall. You ainā€™t going anywhere just yet. You never know you might win the big one then you van afford a much better MH.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Hi Phil, what is the motorhome in your profile picture please? It's lovely!
Itā€™s a Winnebago warrior, 7.5 ltr V8. We bought it to tour the USA from a couple of Aussie Funsters, now our friends. Our plan was to store it and use it for a few years, the first trip started well enough, Vegas, Grand Canyon, monument valley, and most of Arizona, probably the best weā€™ve ever done until covid kicked in, then the fun started and everything closed down. We managed to get home after flight cancellations but after a time it was obvious that we had to sell it and luckily we did. We really remodelled her during our lockdown in California and the lady that bought it has a lovely looking classic.
Phil
7DE8D928-6B74-4F9F-A2A4-B6BDFBAC6D0F.jpeg
DFABCD5B-8BDD-4E2E-8698-EC54E0B2D923.jpeg

Aug 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Traveller 545
Exp

any thoughts?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Traveller 545
Exp
Did you manage to get a motorhome?
I have a friend who is looking to downsize..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back