Newbie goes North with advice (1 Viewer)

firebird123

Free Member
Nov 9, 2013
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
i am a newbie
Hi I am a Newbie Motorhome being delivered on Wednesday 16th July, I have never owned one before, and as we are now retired, I thought it would be a good idea to own one, especially with all this time on our hands !

We intend within the coming weeks to head North, from Mansfield Nottinghamshire, towards, first the Lake District, and then on to the West coast of Scotland, can anyone recommend a route with suitable stop-overs, wild or otherwise ?

We would prefer smaller sites to large ones, and obviously Coastal sites.
It is a case of "Suck it and see" as we have never done this before, so...... any advice would be welcome

Cheers Bruce and Pat

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
How far up the west coast of Scotland are you planning going and how long have you got ??
As this is new maybe best to use campsites at first rather than wild camping

Upvote 0

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hi, lucky you, I'm not far from you but we're still looking (we've had a caravan years though).

Have you thought of joining either the caravan or caravan and camping club for a year just whilst you are finding your feet? They both have their own sites but both run a 5 van scheme ( known as certified locations /certified sites respectively) This is where private individuals open their land. Facilities vary to mini club like sites to a basic field and tap.

The cc&c website has quite a good campsite search on it, you don't have to be a member to get access and it shows all sites, inc. commercial ones, but not the cc sites. Lots of members have motorhomes.

I also use ukcampsite.

Enjoy!

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Welcome to fun, good advice I would think of joining the CCC, would be handy for the CL's as well as the odd site. Have you got a 3 Mifi very handy for keeping on the Internet whem travelling.

Have a few odd days away in the van to find your way around it, Vacarious books have a nice book with camp sites with sea views or on the beach.
Wild camping is a lot easier in Scotland and definitely worth a go.

Enjoy your new Motorhome, ask all the questions you need.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
:Smile:
Thanks all, but what is a 3 Mifi ?

A Mifi is a much more modern version of a dongle, you can run yo to 5 devises from it on wifi mover it any where in the van to pick up a better signal, you can get them PC world or 3 shop. Sim only or contract.

There was a very good write up on them from Minx a while ago and a deal in PC world, and I seen our local PC World had some left a couple of weeks ago , if you put Mifi in the search at the top I am sure you will get more info. Or if anyone could link Minx's thread.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back