Free Member
Aug 19, 2019
Corsham Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class LMC 1988
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi people. I've just purchased a 1988 LMC Liberty (560?) with the intention of touring Europe next year as I've just retired. Still have lots to learn; I'm intending to trace all the electrical wiring and plumbing to ensure I know how it all works, and to add another solar panel and a few Cameras. I'm also trying to find how these 'Aires' work and what the regulations are, as I'm intending to Wild Camp when possible but use Aires if I can't find a decent place, with a once a week stopover at proper 'paid for' sites. I'm looking forward to the adventure.

OP
OP
postic17

postic17

Free Member
Aug 19, 2019
Corsham Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class LMC 1988
Exp
I'm a newbie
and to clarify, my name's Steve and I'll be travelling alone, so the small MoHo should be sufficient for my needs.
Many thanks for the welcome!

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hello and welcome from another Wiltshire boy, currently living in Hampshire though.

Downsizing1_800x533.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi.gif
Steve, and a warm welcome from us.
The majority of 'aires de service' are free to stay overnight, though it's becoming more common that some will ask for a fee.

Most will offer:
  • An off-street parking area
  • A means of waste water disposal (i.e. chemical toilets and grey water)
  • Rubbish disposal (poubelle)
  • A water fill point (eau potable).
Waste disposal almost always seems to be free. Water refilling, when charged for, is usually a flat fee for a specific amount or time e.g. 2 Euros for 100 litres or 10 minutes of fill.
Sometimes there is a low amperage electrical hookup available, again usually with a fee.

If staying during the day, you should not put up awnings or chairs outside your van. The aire is for parking only and for sleeping during the night. Don't confuse these aires, which are usually within walking distance of villages or small towns, with the aires alongside motorways. These motorway aires are for a quick trip to the loo or to buy a sandwich etc or to stop to make a cup of tea/coffee but are notorious for thefts overnight. Look for this sign: -
car-camping.png
which indicates a village/town aire. Hope this helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
postic17

postic17

Free Member
Aug 19, 2019
Corsham Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class LMC 1988
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you all for your advice and comments.
One worrying thing, having looked at all the posts on axle weights etc, is my Maximum Vehicle weight is just 2800Kg. Should that be enough for a single person and kit (2 solar panels and 2 leisure batteries, plus all the usual stuff). I intend to get it through a weighbridge at some time soon - but it does have me worried as it is an old vehicle and probably didn't have the lightweight technology we now see deployed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back