Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Hello from another Sue, also new!
Planning to buy a motorhome soon and to have great adventures in our retirement. Have done caravans, but hubby wants a motorhome despite our total novice status. We need all the help we can get and will be looking for lots of tips and hints from the site. Any suggestions on the best fixed bed motorhome ( in your opinion) will be well and truly welcomed

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Welcome Sue we are just on the far edge of west Yorkshire in Todmorden and like you are retired and the best decision we made was buying a motor home and escaping the pennine winters

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Thank you, what kind of van do you have and where have you been?...and yes the thought of escaping yorkshire winters ( we are in Holmfirth) is a dream

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hello from Wrenthorpe , anywhere near us ?
:welc:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Thank you, what kind of van do you have and where have you been?...and yes the thought of escaping yorkshire winters ( we are in Holmfirth) is a dream

Hi we have a Rapido but it really is a personal choice, you need to get around as many dealers as possible and take your time even if you have to pretend that you are living in it, just do not be rushed by a salesman trying to obtain his commission.

We usually set off in September and slowly head down France to my sisters and then head to Spain or Portugal for winter, the Algarve being our favourite, and then slowly head back up France in Spring. You will not believe just how many people our age do a very similar trip and I mean thousands.

One word of advice, do not go for a too small van as a starter the odd extra foot or two make no difference whatsoever after the first few miles

Good Luck in your choice

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
Hi Sue,
My suggestion is try and buy local as you usually get teething problems regardless to it being new or used.
You do not want to be travelling miles to get it put right.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Looks like you got it right in first go (y)
Click quote then type in comments
Don't worry if you make a mistake we don't bite only laugh:whistle:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
No idea where around you
But I would suggest that you find one and then check with your insurance company before you book it in as I know some storage sites are NOT insurance approved

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
:welc:

What suits one person / couple will not suit another.

My suggestion is that you make a list of everything that you think is important to you and try to rank these "wants".

For a start:
Layout
Payload
Travel Seats (number of)
Berths (number and configuration)

Then look at magazines, go round dealers, attend shows.
We spent 6 months looking and bought one of the motorhomes we had seen during the first few weeks of looking. When we first saw it we didn't have the money for it but when we came to buy we'd saved a bit more and with a bit of negotiation both salesman and we were happy.
There will always be compromise...... but we love our van!

SharonL

Free Member
Apr 14, 2013
Rossendale
Funster No
MH
Him RV - me Bongo!
Exp
Just starting

Lovely part of the world, welcome :welc: I'm also fairly local to you, although I think I just drop off the edge of the West Yorkshire map, here in Bacup :whistle2:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Hi there, just seen this , we keep ours at Castelford caravan storage. Gold award insurance approved. It's on the way to most places we head to . We always seem to go north , from Wakefield.

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Hi there, just seen this , we keep ours at Castelford caravan storage. Gold award insurance approved. It's on the way to most places we head to . We always seem to go north , from Wakefield.
Thanks for letting me know. I have found storage now, definately not as good as yours (it's on a farm) but it's less than 10 mins away and I pass it regularly so can keep my eye on it. I really wanted it close by. Are you off anywhere nice soon?

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Ee. Another lass from Yorkshire. God's own country.

I miss the place but am doing very important missionary work darn sarf.

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Ee. Another lass from Yorkshire. God's own country.

I miss the place but am doing very important missionary work darn sarf.
Actually I am from Lancashire and was brought kicking and screaming over to Yorkshire by my hubby , who, thinks , like you that this is deffo Gods own country!

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Glad you got yourself sorted Sue.
Well were doing nothing this weekend , Motorhome wise. I'm working today, we shall be doing something tomorrow.
BUT we are in for a no doubt very loud, very late,very gamey singsongy and instrumety, very boozy , very stinky ( as in cheese!) rally next weekend . With the Hagnaps.

Totally opposite of what we usually like on a rally or meet. We peace and quiet relaxing weekends usually , like a field in a nice village with a good pub in walking distance.........

But Paul and Niki really know how to throw this sort of rally . If you know what your letting yourself in for , you know your going to have a right laugh, and do doubt a very sore head , and ringing ears , Sunday morning....

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Actually I am from Lancashire and was brought kicking and screaming over to Yorkshire by my hubby , who, thinks , like you that this is deffo Gods own country!
Aha. Another convert. Welcome my child :)

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Hi and welcome.
Lancashire lass living in that Yorkshire???

You're a missionary, then?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back