Newbie from Lancaster (1 Viewer)

Octopusann

Free Member
Feb 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Hi I'm Ann and I'm looking to buy my first MH. Its just for me and I started off thinking I'd buy something small and cheap to test the water eg Fiat Doblo or VW Caddy but would like the height and extra space of a Transporter or similar. I didn't realise how many options there were. Any advice appreciated.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Hi we're from Lancaster too (top of Bowerham Road).
Welcome to this forum.
We've been motorhoming for 11 years. We haven't any experience of the vans you mention but maybe able to help on other things.
Just ask.
Steph

OP
OP
O

Octopusann

Free Member
Feb 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Hi, I'm in Galgate. What sort of van do you have? I'm mind blown by the variety (and quality) of conversions never mind the vehicles themselves.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Its a Swift Firebrand 590 made for Barrons the dealers before they went bust. Its the same as a Swift 590.
We lived in it full time for 3 years and have travelled around Europe a lot in it.
We looked at loads of them before buying it and haven't found anything else we like as much since so have stuck with it.

OP
OP
O

Octopusann

Free Member
Feb 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
That sounds quite a large one. I'm (I think) looking for something small. I spend a lot of time in the lakes and I love camping but my knees are getting past it. I thought that a small MH would be a good way to go - that was before I started looking! Its so easy to get sucked into more than you need and definitely more than you can really afford!

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
We've often looked at the smaller ones and are amazed at the qualiry and what they get inside them. John is 6ft 3ins and we had trouble finding a van with a long enough bed and high enough ceiling so our choices in the end were a bit limited within our budget.
Its fun looking though.
Have you been to Marquis at Preston? They have quite a big stock of vans usually. Don't know what they are like as dealers and you also have to think of after-sales as some dealers are good at selling you something but not at sorting out any problems.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
@Octopusann - Good morning from another Lancastrian. I live near the Hospice. It can be a mind field when looking for your first van and budget will dictate. Could I suggest you have a run through to Bay Motors in Morecambe as they usually have a few vans in stock and some are what I would consider ‘starter’ budgets. A neighbour bought from them and although not an expensive van, their after sales was good at dealing with a few minor niggles. Good luck and welcome.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
There are two or three dealers on the A6 driving between Galgate and Garstang but I expect you've been there Also Preston Motorhomes have a big stock and Ings (past Kendal on the way to Windermere) and Callendars on the way out of Carnforth.

OP
OP
O

Octopusann

Free Member
Feb 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Carol thanks. I did look there before Christmas. They were friendly and helpful but didn't have what I thought I wanted at the time. I'm south of Lancaster so have been looking at John Charles on the way to Garstang.

The problem at the moment is trying to decide whether to go very small eg Fiat DOblo or VW Caddy or bigger ie Transporter but then I don't really like the standard layout as its just for me and I don't need a R+R bed.

OP
OP
O

Octopusann

Free Member
Feb 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Haven't tried the Preston ones but Ings looks expensive. They don't have much under 30k. Haven't looked at Callenders - thought they were just caravans - will look. There's a couple of small ones around Bolton-le-Sands but they don't have much small either. Recommendations are always welcome though.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Good luck with your search and
animated welcome group purple.gif

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Hi Ann and welcome to the Fun!

Make a list of ‘must haves’ in your new van - that will help you decide on the size. For instance, if you aren’t going to be staying on campsites, you will need one with a loo.

Happy hunting :)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
@Octopusann - Ann, you won’t find much at Callenders I’m afraid as they usually only have one or 2, being predominantly a caravan dealer. If you want a day out and to look at loads of vans of varying budgets and layouts I would suggest a visit to Motorlands at St Annes. Not dealt with them but did go with a friend who is looking to buy her first MH and they had loads. What I would say is seriously consider a van with a toilet compartment - an essential in my opinion.!

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Just keep looking while you refine what your 'musts' are. However much you spend it's still important to get it right for you - and everyone is different in their requirements.
e.g. we really wanted a loo and shower we could use easily and somewhere comfortable to sit, lounge about in if the weather was bad.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if you are looking at vw transporter van conversions, be aware they attract a higher price than ford transit or fiat ducato conversions.

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
:welco:Hi, be careful with the dealer on Preston New Rd. Not a great experience, so much so that we have taken our business to Emm Bee in Bury. A longer drive but a world apart in terms of customer service.

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Hi Anne - google Romahome and look at the Outlooks (later versions are R20s). I started out with them many years ago. Go anywhere, do anything in comfort. I imagine there are a few of them running around used. They hold their value well and are very sought after.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back