Newbie Electrics Confusion (1 Viewer)

Andystaffs

Free Member
Sep 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Vivaro Van Conversio
We have acquired a 2015 Vivaro conversion with a Sterling B2B . So after a day or two off grid ,the voltage is down to 12 and below(even down to 11) . Research seems to indicate that this is bad news for the battery . Does this mean I have to leave my pitch every other day and go for a drive to get the battery charged again ? Whats the lowest I should let the leisure battery drop to ? I also have a ehu but when ive connected this up on a larger site it seems to make no difference . Had assumed ,once connected, it just takes over all electrics in van and when disconnected van reverts to leisure battery .

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Your assumption about EHU is correct. Either something is not switched to the correct position or you have a defect, multimeter time.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Thats not quite what I understood from various threads about this. From what I have read, on EHU the 240 v sockets become live and the 12v leisure battery charger kicks in to top up/maintain your leisure battery, but 12v habitation outlets still use the leisure battery to power. Others with a better electrical knowledge on this may shed some light on this.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Depending on who did the conversation it's just possible that they only fitted some mains sockets and never added a battery charger.
The B2B only charges (afaik) when the engine is running, so they may have planned / assumed the user would drive every few days or start the engine.
Just my view on it. đź‘Ť

If the battery is down to 11v it's almost had its day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Those little electric mice running along the wires from the charger are stronger than those in the battery so they hold back the battery ones and go to your 12v outlets. Some strong mice do force their way into the battery and only come out when no more are coming from the charger. Then the strong mice leave the battery first followed by the next strong etc until you are left with only puny mice who cannot do much.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Most chargers have sufficient output to both charge the leisure battery and power the van. Yours will be in this category. Without EHU or solar panels your leisure battery may only last a day. Exactly how long it will last depends on its size, its condition, and your usage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back