Aug 12, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 yr
Hi all,

Just joined the forum as are currently in the process of selling our caravan which I REALLY hate towing so we can buy a nice new to us motorhome lol!
Have had a caravan for about 10 yrs of various sorts but have now seen the light so am after advise on buying a MH now.
I ( the girly bit of the family) am intending to drive it myself with kids to get away when OH is working so not too keen on a huge beast.
finances are whatever we sell our van for so about 12K and currently am keen on am old Hymermobile maybe a B644 although OH fancies a tag axle B694.

Any advice on either of these two please and generally on older Hymers.
looking forward to buying one soon.

Thanks Caz :Smile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I have an American RV and a caravan.

Caravaned for years then ended up with 2 Great Danes that were 30 stone and 8 wheel drive so furniture just buckled and snapped as they run along the centre isle.

Sold the 3 month old Bailey senator and bought the RV.

Divorce came along now I just have one Dane

Since then bought a little 2 berth van i can keep at home so can go away instantly whereas the RV is in storage miles away so have to plan trips.

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi all,

old Hymermobile maybe a B644 although OH fancies a tag axle B694.

Any advice on either of these two please and generally on older Hymers.
looking forward to buying one soon.

Thanks Caz :Smile:
Hymers are great and keep their value well, most are LHD, only big bit of advice don't buy from Brownhills if you expect any sort of aftersales service.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Hi and welcome to the Funster site Caz ::bigsmile:

flyingwelcome

Your choice of motorhome may depend on how many kids you have and their size & age. If you go for a van that is too small you will be inviting trouble :Smile: You need to look at as many motorhomes as you can

OP
OP
Travelbug1

Travelbug1

Free Member
Aug 12, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 yr
Thanks for replies so far- I should have said we have 2 children age 4 & 6 both seasoned campers and a small dog.

Brownhills I know about as well as Lowdhams - both have branches close to me and no I won't buy from either not just due to them having nothing under 25k !

I have looked at Ikonickampers & Deepcar as well as private as do favour the hymers, both mentioned layouts have overcab pull down bed, rear u shaped lounge & side dinette so ok on space for kids, main difference is seperate shower cubical in tag axle which I prefer but not sure if size is too big? Any thoughts?

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hi there,
Welcome to MHF
We are x tuggers too. All i can say is look in as many as you can. If you have kids , take them with you too. :Eeek: And get something with bunks:winky:
This may sound mad but you usually have less room in MH's compared to the big caravans. Imagine being stuck in on wet dark evenings and where you'd all lounge , sit. Having them with you , brings reality back with a bump. Especially if everyones milling around in it:winky:
We managed to get it right first time , with being x tuggers , many dont:winky:
We started off with a budget , but couldnt find anything suitable , anywhere for it.
We felt like we were taking a step backwards, not forwards. The build quality, furnishings and layout were not to our taste . We upped our budget , and upped it again. Kept going back to the same model. Which we eventually purchased. We got a good price for the caravan , traded in , and paid a good price for our MH.
Our ISA's are empty , but you only live once. Plus you hear of so many getting to retirement age , and dropping dead:whatthe: , or becoming housebound.
Its happened to too many people we know now. So ces't la vie.
We have seen the same model for a couple of grand more , than we paid , nearly 1 year later.
We have not regretted it one bit , and are away most weekends rallying in it ,just as we did with the caravan.
We took it to the I.O.W in May and are going up to Aviemore for a week over the New Year. We dont intend to use it abroad (at least with the kids ) until we can do 1 month at least. So that will be something to look forward to as we get older.
Bev
We got ours from Danum leisure near Doncaster. Cant fault them. Only had 1 problem , with the fridge which they sorted out .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I forgot to welcome you to the forum, how remiss of me. Why not join us at a rally or six when you get your new van, plenty of them in the Rallys and meets forum. we also have an active chatroom here, and run a quiz every thursday evening, all welcome.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Do so agree with Ralph-n-Bev on this my advice is always make haste slowly.

It's so easy to get it wrong, and can be costly so look hard and long.

I always think that you will know the van for you when you see it, don't know why you just do.

Wish you well in your search, and welcome you to MH Fun. You can always find the answers to any questions on here so ask away.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back