Newbie - changing from a caravan (1 Viewer)

Birchgra

Free Member
Aug 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
Looking to Buy
Exp
Caravanning 10 years
Hi All
Although I had an old campervan many years ago, for the last 10 years we have been keen caravanners and enjoyed many family holidays. Now that our daughter is off to Uni, we thought that we might treat ourselves (and the dog) to a Motorhome, so that we can get away a little more often. I've even agreed to sell my Lotus (which I restored a few years ago), to ensure that we can get something a bit more luxurious than the caravan - probably a German A-class.
Does anyone know if there are many site restrictions in the UK on Motorhomes of about 8m in length as that was about what we were looking at getting?
Looking forward to getting some good advice from people who have 'been there, done that' as we set off on our new adventure.
Thanks
Graham

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi.gif
and a warm welcome from us. Sorry, don't know about problems with length restrictions as our low profile is less than 6m. However, I would say that with an 8m it would be more difficult to access the entrance to some sites as the turning circle could be tight.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Birchgra

You should be fine with 8 metres (y) any length restrictions seem to start at over 8 in my experience, after that a lot of access comes down to how you drive it.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Birchgra

Free Member
Aug 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
Looking to Buy
Exp
Caravanning 10 years
Thanks for the welcome and comments. Nice to know that some of you with MH's around the 8m mark have not had too much difficulty! Now that its just going to be the 2 of us (plus dog) we were hoping to enjoy a bit of comfort and a reasonable amount of internal space without the need for erecting any awnings etc which we have been putting up/taking down for many a year with the caravan! Looking forward to not having to do that again!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for the welcome and comments. Nice to know that some of you with MH's around the 8m mark have not had too much difficulty! Now that its just going to be the 2 of us (plus dog) we were hoping to enjoy a bit of comfort and a reasonable amount of internal space without the need for erecting any awnings etc which we have been putting up/taking down for many a year with the caravan! Looking forward to not having to do that again!
We had a caravan for a lot of years so know where you are coming from with that, we have a fixed bed and large garage so are happy bunny's.

Martin

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Welcome

Were were previously 8.5m and now with the new van 7.5m plus 0.5m for the bike rack. Never had issues with either here or abroad.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Take your time doing your research before buying. I think the percentage of motothomers who change their van within the first 18 months is quite high.

Have fun and enjoy !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back