Newbie Challenge Carthago C Line 2021 (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
carthago c line
Engine Battery died completely yesterday after 36 hours not mains connected and not driven - Jumped it successfully . The next morning Domestic Batteries totally disconnected from Van .
No power to control panel - NADA - ZIP - the whole van is MORTE ! Went to bed - woke up. GONE. No physical activity overnight - reading light only consumption . Except now the engine battery had enough to start engine .
Running Blind with no access to Control Panel INFO ? Isolated ( storage mode) and reconnected domestic master switch - Nada impression ?
Help please - away from home in Spain.
Joined this forum for this reason New Newbie šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

Solution
The ā€˜systemā€™ has most likely disconnected/isolated the leisure battery (due to low voltage) to protect it from damage. Iā€™d suggest that you get to somewhere with EHU to get things charged up and take it from there.

Ian

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
The ā€˜systemā€™ has most likely disconnected/isolated the leisure battery (due to low voltage) to protect it from damage. Iā€™d suggest that you get to somewhere with EHU to get things charged up and take it from there.

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 2
Solution

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Answers to the following questions might help.
How long have you had the van?
Is this first trip out?
Did you charge from hookup or do a run after jumping the engine battery?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:

If you have a Pioneer head unit and you were using it, if you didn't turn off the media switch on the control panel it will flatten the starter battery overnight. A standard feature of Carthago's.

Hab battery may not have been fully charged before your trip & how many hab batteries have you got?

Upvote 1
OP
OP
C
Nov 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
carthago c line

Ian
Donā€™t seem to able to retract step ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Nov 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
carthago c line
Is this first trip out?
8 weeks
Yes 1st trip out - to deepest Europe šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø
No charge or run since jumping engine battery .
Engine starts fine today

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Nov 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
carthago c line

If you have a Pioneer head unit and you were using it, if you didn't turn off the media switch on the control panel it will flatten the starter battery overnight. A standard feature of Carthago's.

Hab battery may not have been fully charged before your trip & how many hab batteries have you got?
I do -have Pioneer and itā€™s never worked . Had to jury rig AUX connection to Get audio to TV. Apple car play doesnā€™t like to work - 4 out of 5 times .
This feels like an answer to Vehicle battery problem ( who knew) . Thanks . Every day is a school day - it seems . Pioneer runs off domestic power AND Ignition power ? Does it not? Could be the ENEMY - pile of 1970s UI crap imo. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø
Just not designed to integrate or badly installed by Dealer ? Or is it factory fit .
I had ton of extras installed pre departure -
Solar 2X 250 w - not working
Air Con - works but gets tired after 30 mins
2 Li-ion domestic batteries ? Ā£1500 !
Sat TV - seems a waste in southern EU.
Ordered Inverter but Dealer said donā€™t do it?
Thanks everyone for your combined experiences.
Is this first trip out?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Nov 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
carthago c line
Is this first trip out?
I ran it on Tickover for an hour - but no trip out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Nov 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
carthago c line

I had 2 new Li Ion installed pre departure .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Nov 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
carthago c line
I do -have Pioneer and itā€™s never worked . Had to jury rig AUX connection to Get audio to TV. Apple car play doesnā€™t like to work - 4 out of 5 times .
This feels like an answer to Vehicle battery problem ( who knew) . Thanks . Every day is a school day - it seems . Pioneer runs off domestic power AND Ignition power ? Does it not? Could be the ENEMY - pile of 1970s UI crap imo. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø
Just not designed to integrate or badly installed by Dealer ? Or is it factory fit .
Van is new - 8 weeks ago. This is first trip - all 3500 miles šŸ¤”

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
If you have 500 watts of solar and two lithium ( how big ) and you run into problems without a heavy load , something is not right, do you have a battery to battery charger? Who installed your new kit? Phone him and ask for authorisation to have it looked at in Spain by a recommended supplier and let your UK installer have the invoice?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The Pioneer is a factory install that's why I said the flat starter battery is a standard feature.

If it's hab or cab aircon? you should only run hab aircon when on EHU.

Sat - you can't get Astra 2 after about 3/4 down through France apart from a few odd places in Spain, that's why most of us stream these days.

Alphatronics TV's are a nightmare to set up, spent a couple of days helping my neighbor with his Carthago to get his going so it would play DVD's via the head unit, also some features are disabled on them due to German data protection laws.

With Lithium batteries you can run quite a decent size inverter without problems.

Solar not working or just not enough output to cope with your use at this time of year?

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
On ours there's a small switch on the back of the TV that you have to change depending on the source,
i.e. TV to head unit or head unit to TV.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Many lithium batteries have a built-in Battery Management System (BMS) that cuts out if the voltage is too low or too high.

When the engine is running, there will be a method of charging the leisure battery automatically. Because it's a new MH, it most likely has a 'Battery-to-Battery' (B2B) charger, which is a battery charger powered by the alternator. That's why you were asked if the leisure battery power works when the engine is running. So, do the habitation electrics work when the engine is running?

Upvote 0

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Are you trying to run a hab aircon unit off your batteries - if so no wonder your batteries are flat.

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Are you trying to run a hab aircon unit off your batteries - if so no wonder your batteries are flat.

How to flatten a battery in one (quick and) easy lesson!

That certainly looks to be the root of the issue and then the lithium BMS has kicked in to isolate the battery on low voltage.

Ian

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
If the distrbution unit has turned off due to low volts you will probably have to reset it before it will power up. I'm not familiar with CBE systems, Clarky or Pausim may be able to help.
It has not happened to me but I believe it cuts out at 10V and should automatically reset when back up to 12V. My CBE manual is with my motorhome in storage. My Carthago came with a bag full of manuals, including the CBE one, so probably worth checking through all your literature CookieUK .

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
There seems to be something odd about your Pioneer. I have a Pioneer unit and the Apple CarPlay has been 100% reliable, perhaps the USB (back of unit) to Lightning lead is defective or not properly plugged into the unit.

When not needed I always do a full shutdown on the Pioneer and turn the media circuit off as said by Lenny HB .
What make of battery? I recently read about another Carthago owner who had trouble with a dealer fitted Li battery. Perhaps the same dealer?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Nov 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
carthago c line
There seems to be something odd about your Pioneer. I have a Pioneer unit and the Apple CarPlay has been 100% reliable, perhaps the USB (back of unit) to Lightning lead is defective or not properly plugged into the unit.

When not needed I always do a full shutdown on the Pioneer and turn the media circuit off as said by Lenny HB .

What make of battery? I recently read about another Carthago owner who had trouble with a dealer fitted Li battery. Perhaps the same dealer?
Chelston - Somerset . Replaced Lithium with 2 big lead acid - as a temp fix - which seems to have worked - thanks for input everyone.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Nov 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
carthago c line
The Pioneer is a factory install that's why I said the flat starter battery is a standard feature.

If it's hab or cab aircon? you should only run hab aircon when on EHU.

Sat - you can't get Astra 2 after about 3/4 down through France apart from a few odd places in Spain, that's why most of us stream these days.

Alphatronics TV's are a nightmare to set up, spent a couple of days helping my neighbor with his Carthago to get his going so it would play DVD's via the head unit, also some features are disabled on them due to German data protection laws.

With Lithium batteries you can run quite a decent size inverter without problems.

Solar not working or just not enough output to cope with your use at this time of year?
Dealer declined to fit an Inverter - ā€œIt will toast your batteriesā€

Solar not working - never has - despite 2 new 250w panels . Solar Control unit inaccessible unless you are an acrobatic mouse? Thanks for your reply.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Dealer declined to fit an Inverter - ā€œIt will toast your batteriesā€

Solar not working - never has - despite 2 new 250w panels . Solar Control unit inaccessible unless you are an acrobatic mouse? Thanks for your reply.
Inverter it's down to the size of the inverter and how many batteries you have so he could be correct.

Being a physic :giggle: I can probably tell you what's wrong with you solar if it wasn't factory installed:-

The pre-fitted solar cables run from behind a top locker to the battery area - only they don't. The cables from the roof terminate under the double floor on the front passenger side (LHD or Drivers side if RHD) near the dash, this is where Carthago fit the controller in a factory install, another pair of cables runs from there to the battery area.
A common mistake made by installers is to connect the cables in the battery area to the controller then fit a pair of cables from the controller to the batteries. Looks like it's working because the lights on the controller are working from the battery voltage but they haven't actually connected the panels to anything.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Solar not working - never has - despite 2 new 250w panels . Solar Control unit inaccessible unless you are an acrobatic mouse?
With 2 x 250W panels it must be an MPPT type controller, not a PWM type. What make/model is it? Does the solar controller have a Bluetooth app to see the state of it? Many of them do, and if it's inaccessible then that must be a good idea.

Solar is not complicated - two wires in from the panels, two wires out to the battery. It should be easy to say if the problem is the panels, or the battery wiring, or the controller. The panel voltage will be between 10V and 40V, the battery output should be between 10V and 15V.

Edit: Just seen Lenny HB's post, that is definitely worth investigating(y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back