Free Member
Nov 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Under discussion.
Exp
Newbie, tent graduate.
Hi folks,
This is my first MH and I'm worried about making a very expensive mistake.
I've spotted a Hymer B544 lhd at 89000 miles full mot (I've checked the history and it seems ok). The asking price is £8500. It didn't sell on ebay, is this a fair price for a van that's 25 years old? It's located in Windsor so it's close enough for me to inspect.
But, since I don't know anything and I'm desperate to get on the road, I could get swept along by the romance and overlook practicalities.
Any and all advice appreciated,
Thanks in advance
Ceri

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Looks like it is still on eBay, do you want an A class? What's you max limit you can afford?

OP
OP
Deepdale

Deepdale

Free Member
Nov 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Under discussion.
Exp
Newbie, tent graduate.
To be honest £8500 is probably the very top.
I have a son who has lost his twenties to illness. He's 31now and recovering nicely, but must have access to a bathroom and preferably a fixed bed. So I think that pushes me toward an A class?

OP
OP
Deepdale

Deepdale

Free Member
Nov 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Under discussion.
Exp
Newbie, tent graduate.
Thank you Mr Frog.
The intention is to start with Wales, land of my fathers, but i was hoping for a van before I left!!
Seriously what worries me is facing the same lack of knowledge a long way from home. But you've answered the question. Why pay more. Looks like a trip to Wales.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Thank you Mr Frog.
The intention is to start with Wales, land of my fathers, but i was hoping for a van before I left!!
Seriously what worries me is facing the same lack of knowledge a long way from home. But you've answered the question. Why pay more. Looks like a trip to Wales.
Ask lots of questions before travelling, I did a 600 mile round trip to a dealer to look at a Motorhome that was advertised incorrectly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just remember its a 26 year old vehicle its likely to need a fair bit spending on it to keep it going and no matter how well its been loooked after

OP
OP
Deepdale

Deepdale

Free Member
Nov 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Under discussion.
Exp
Newbie, tent graduate.
I'm trying to do as much research as possible. The MOT checker has already proved invaluable.
I presume there is a thread for unlikely excuses for mileage disparities, I've already heard a few corkers.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Some coach builts will have fixed beds.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Do you know a scam on ebay? Hundreds of Motorhome scams are listed everyday, so be very careful, do not part with "any" cash until you've seen the vehicle and checked it's legitimate.

OP
OP
Deepdale

Deepdale

Free Member
Nov 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Under discussion.
Exp
Newbie, tent graduate.
Thank you for the advice and warm welcome.
I'm trying not to rush into anything. Using a dealer may be worth the premium, but I know the second hand arena has more than its own share of crooks, especially when I'm spending less than £10000.
I'll see who I can get to chaperone me on a Welsh day trip. I like to think I'd spot a 'wrong un' but in reality I'm probably easy pickings: no mechanical knowledge, a little money in the bank and a hopeless romantic...

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi Ceri

Best thing to do is keep posting on here and give links so more knowledgeable Funsters can have a nosy online for you.
You may even find a helpful someone to go with you or instead of you if there is something you are interested in and it’s very close.
Good luck

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Welcome Ceri have you read Jim's advice on buying a used motorhome? available free for us subscribers.

Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
Loads of great advice on here...
Remember this is not prime motorhome selling season :D.. so take your time and if it was me I would come back here and post details before buying..

I would also look at both vehicles... take your time..in fact I looked at 6 Mh before I bought mine... some more expensive and some cheaper... its my second MH but peoples valuations of their MH's can be ..
inflated or even exuberant ..
good luck

OP
OP
Deepdale

Deepdale

Free Member
Nov 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Under discussion.
Exp
Newbie, tent graduate.
I'm going to try and get to Caerphilly this week to look at the Hymer suggested above. I've downloaded the book to read before I go.

Living this close to the M25 appears to add £1000 per vehicle, the most attractive feature of the Windsor van is its location, It'll be easier to get second a opinion.

I know a MH is deeply personal but are there any reasons NOT to get a Hymer?

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
If you like a vehicle pay for AA vehicle inspection or someone reputable could save a lot of expense and heartache

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Take someone good at sniffing out damp. I'd lend you my wife but she is too busy sniffing ours :D.

Seriously damp and chassis corrosion are likely to be your biggest issues in a van of that age everything else is likely to be replaceable/repairable.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Before even going ask if it has had a recent 'habitation' check and 'damp' check - two very different surveys and I would not buy without either. There are two aspects with a motorhome - the base vehicle, so yes an MOT, and ( the potentially expensive bit) the motorhome body ie Hymer. Be prepared within your budget for some initial work to be done - see the links related to a other peoples issue buying from both a dealer and privately. Hymer is one of the better models for not having damp issues - so I am told but I am sure I will be corrected!

OP
OP
Deepdale

Deepdale

Free Member
Nov 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Under discussion.
Exp
Newbie, tent graduate.
Thanks Pandas,
I thought a hab check covered damp, so much to learn. If I was a sensible adult I'd hire a MT for a weekend and learn the ropes. But I'm not, and I'd rather use my budget on a van, than holidaying in a model I can't possibly afford.

I've had a brush with the a Caravan club in the past, and it put me off clubs. So glad I've found you guys, I'm determined to put faces to names next year. My youngest lives in Thetford, and I'm sure he must be desperate for me to visit....

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Before even going ask if it has had a recent 'habitation' check and 'damp' check - two very different surveys and I would not buy without either. There are two aspects with a motorhome - the base vehicle, so yes an MOT, and ( the potentially expensive bit) the motorhome body ie Hymer. Be prepared within your budget for some initial work to be done - see the links related to a other peoples issue buying from both a dealer and privately. Hymer is one of the better models for not having damp issues - so I am told but I am sure I will be corrected!
That sort of money you are taking a big gamble vehicle chassis and mechanical condition would be my priority rotten chassis it becomes a scrapper ( welding /mechanical repair costs ) - damp and leaks are repairable may not look pretty afterwards but at least vehicle will be driveable for a few years

OP
OP
Deepdale

Deepdale

Free Member
Nov 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Under discussion.
Exp
Newbie, tent graduate.
Thank you mfw,
I've got 2 grandlings and 2 dogs so I'd prefer a 'doer upper'.
One of my sons is also very handy, and keen to help on the inside.... the sooner I'm on the road, the sooner he can offload his offspring on me! But, like me, he hasn't got a clue mechanically.
I think paying for an independent assessment is the way to go. There is nothing but comedy value in me crawling around on the floor.

If it wasn't for the bathroom and bed issue I'd probably go for a van conversion.
There's no rush. I'm just inherently impatient.

OP
OP
Deepdale

Deepdale

Free Member
Nov 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Under discussion.
Exp
Newbie, tent graduate.
There's a Hymer in Autotrader for £5995, that's only 50 miles away so a trip to Bournemouth may be in order.
I'd love to attach the ad, and get some feedback, but technology and I are involved in a long running feud.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
For your money it might pay you to look at panel van conversion with garage for storage ( race type van layout ) and bed above you would get a lot newer van and should minimise chances of a leak being no mastic seams also with awning you would have a lot of room might save buying a pile of problems

OP
OP
Deepdale

Deepdale

Free Member
Nov 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Under discussion.
Exp
Newbie, tent graduate.
I'd be happy with a conversion but, the convalescing kid is 6ft and not too clever on stairs/steps. And a toilet is essential.
There's a Hymer in Ringwood, it's not too far from me so I'm off to have a look at the end of the week. Meanwhile I'm tucking into the downloaded book; fantastic resource.

OP
OP
Deepdale

Deepdale

Free Member
Nov 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Under discussion.
Exp
Newbie, tent graduate.
I'd be happy with a conversion but, the convalescing kid is 6ft and not too clever on stairs/steps. And a toilet is essential.
There's a Hymer in Ringwood, it's not too far from me so I'm off to have a look at the end of the week.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back