Newbie - Advice on ramps please? (1 Viewer)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
As with most things motorhome related, there is no generalised right answer.
There will be the correct answer for an individual, but it will be a compromise based on many variables.

How long is the wheelbase?
What type of site do you go to?
What sort of fridge to you have?
Can all of you sleep ok on a slope? (My OH can't sleep if the bed isn't level side to side. Head to toe isn't so bad).
How much storage space do you have?
How much payload do you have?

Large campervans & motorhomes will fall into three categories.
1. Don't bother
2. Milenco Triple
3. Milenco Quattro

In the interest of balance, other makes are available (but I don't think they are as good :p).

The Milenco ramps are overkill for small VW type campervans, but there are plenty of smaller ramps to choose from.

If you are not bothered about being perfectly level, the Milenco Triple is a good compromise. The Quattros are great, but they do take up a lot of room. I curse the space they occupy, but I can always level to OH's satisfaction.

N.B. You are less likely to drive over the end of the Quattro than the Triple (because you won't often be in the top slot), but if you do, you will potentially do more damage.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Surprised I'm the first (only) one to notice it was a female who drove off the other side of them!
Maybe they're gender specific?:whistle2::whistle2::whistle2::imoutahere:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
We all noticed she was female.
Didn't look the type to do anything by accident though.
Did you say there was something about ramps in it? Must have missed that bit.

That clip was aimed at the German market. There is a longer version aimed at the French market (the writing is in French rather than German). It doesn't tell you any more about the ramps than the German version, so you can guess what the extra footage concentrates on.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I had a pair of levellers that worked like the Frolis years ago when caravanning. They weren't Froli, were wider than the tyres and were brilliant - easy to use, easy on the clutch. They took up room (less of an issue with a caravan). I can't remember what happened to them - probably given to someone who bought one of my vans. I now use the yellow ones which are very easy to store. I use one of those little 'T' levels - if the bubbles aren't touching the ends then it's near enough.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
some gas fridges really suffer from being out of level and getting the van levelled off becomes essential. have used levellers a great many times over the years as some of the nicest spots with great views are on hilly sites
having tried and worn out levelling ramps from just about all the manufacturers, I now stick with millenco quatros. latest pair was picked up second hand with holdall for £15. hose the mud off and they are like new

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Had smaller ramps but when allocated pitches on busy sites or rallies they are rarely level so forced to buy Quattros so that the fridge works! They are big but essential kit for us even with our small 6m motorhome. If you always stay in half empty campsites off peak times so you can move pitch & can arrive early to any rally then you may not have as much need. :)

Scuba Steve

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
We use Millenco Quatros and ive never had a problem or needed to lift he MH hirer than the 4th level

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
ramps are not essential, never used them in the past 50 years, there is always someplace level to park. Free up the space more room for beer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back