Newbe looking for advice (1 Viewer)

Hairy

Free Member
Aug 18, 2010
Reigate on Sea
Funster No
MH
A class
I have been looking at all of the magazines, and articles, but still cannot draw myself to one type of van or another. To be honest, I am a little confused as to what I should be looking for. I fancy an A Class, but want new and only have a budget of around 45, maybe 50 if I beg borrow and steal. We want 5+ berths so that we can take the kids friends away if needed and, to be honest, we like the space of the 5+ berths we hire. I'd like a fixed rear bed, with over cab or drop down for the kids. I guess it's possibly better to get bunks somewhere as soon they will not like sleeping in the same double, but for now it's fine. I don't mind size, as I'd prefer the comfort over a larger one.

But now it's coming down to buying one, I am stuck.

So, the questions I am asking, are:

Am I being realistic about getting a new motorhome for 45/50k.
What sort can I expect
What do you think would suit us
What is the difference in quality of low to mid market
Like cars, can prices be negotiated. I know this may come across as a dumb question, but somethings can't or will not be negotiated and I am not sure about this area here.

I am geuinely sorry to ask these questions as I am sure you get them fairly often, so I apologise but offer up the flag of naiveity in defence.

Thanks in advance for any help. Once I buy, there will be more, but I guess the more experience I get, the more I can contribute rather than take.

Cheers

Paul

mikkidee

Free Member
Aug 1, 2010
Malton,North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since June 08
Hi Hairy not sure where your location is in relation to Lincoln but they have a big show coming up in September 24th 25th and 26th the season finale. I'd be surprised if you didn't get the info you are looking for there. There will be lots of motorhomes on show there second hand and new.

Good luck in your search it's a mine field
All the best
Mike ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi

You are not going to get a new A class for £45-£50k, there are plenty of low mileage vans about that are pre-owned and are excellent value for money.

On the other hand I have a Hobby that has bunk beds and overcab bed and superb finishings in that price range. (£46k) 6 berths

Hobby Siesta T600 AK Motorhome << details and pics

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hairy

Free Member
Aug 18, 2010
Reigate on Sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Hi Peter,

Just down the road too. What discount would you be prepared to offer?

Cheers

Paul

Hi

You are not going to get a new A class for £45-£50k, there are plenty of low mileage vans about that are pre-owned and are excellent value for money.

On the other hand I have a Hobby that has bunk beds and overcab bed and superb finishings in that price range. (£46k) 6 berths

Hobby Siesta T600 AK Motorhome << details and pics

Peter

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
You are kidding

Hi Peter,

Just down the road too. What discount would you be prepared to offer?

Cheers

Paul

You do not seriously think a dealer will tell you in an open forum how much he will discount the motorhome for.

I have often heard the words come and see us and we can see what we can do.... I have found mostly it is a 'get you through' the door gamibt.

Firstly find the van that suits your needs.. you need to sit in it and then think about the haggle.. not the haggle and sit in it.

There are other dealers on that road - they also sell motorhomes and a lot in the general area like Peacehaven, Lower Dicker.. OK to buy local if it is second hand and the warrenty is an issue, but you need to look wide. As said go to one of the big shows still to come this year like Bath & West or Lincoln ..look at as many as yolu can. You will soon sse what sort of deals are about. Do not forget buying the van is only the start.. insurance, tax, and fitting it out.. that is expensive once you start. i.e. awning rooms if you want one.. aqua rolls and 100's of other items that add up. John's Cross is a good dealer as far as I know. I have purchased from there shop and also at shows from them. They had a reasonable selection of vans for sale so do look at what they have as well as elsewhere.. the right van will bite you on the nose I am sure.

Good hunting

Bob :thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back