Free Member
Apr 25, 2017
Clevedon, N Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 510
Exp
4 years
Heading for NZ in October and trying to get a grip on this trip of 2 months. Thinking of joining their club, NZMCA, and hiring a motorhome when we get there of course.
Have you been? How did you find it? (this may open up a joke opportunity) and were there any things to avoid. Your views would be most welcome.
Steve

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Went about 18 years ago. Hired a camper an from Britz campers and spent three months touring both islands. Both islands are different. We fell in love with the place and would go and live there tomorrow if we could. A bit like turning the clock back in the Uk a few years ago. You will have a great time. The only thing I would say to avoid is coming back.:(Happy travels. (y)

simbadog

Free Member
Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Heading for NZ in October and trying to get a grip on this trip of 2 months. Thinking of joining their club, NZMCA, and hiring a motorhome when we get there of course.
Have you been? How did you find it? (this may open up a joke opportunity) and were there any things to avoid. Your views would be most welcome.
Steve
Messaged you :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
We went in 2012 for a similar length of time,Sept - Nov,North island first so you follow 'better' weather as they're moving into summer.Three years in the planning! Loved every minute :) Definitley worth joining NZMCA, we borrowed their book with all the stops in of a friend when we arrived! Various ways of getting a MH but we got ours through

https://www.motorhomebookers.co.uk/

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Visited both islands in the early 80's, staying a month on each, spectacular scenery, friendly welcoming people, an endless amount of things to see & do, highly recommended (y)

Aug 18, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have been 3 times and have hired a motorhome each time, very nearly emigrated. Absolutely love the country.

Our son returned from a long trip and left hiring a van until he got there, big mistake as even though it wasn’t peak time very difficult to get a van. In the end they had to hire different vans from different companies as they could only get one for a few weeks at a time.
Also check re deposits as they were asked for huge amounts despite taking full insurance, this was something we had not encountered when we where there.

Very jealous you will have a fabulous time.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Have visited twice and loved it but toured by hired motorbike so can't help re van hire but there were certainly plenty around and pickup at the airports . might go again this year as in Oz visiting our daughter in Melbourne again for 3 months .

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We went a couple of years ago starting in March.
8 weeks will just about be long enough to get around both Islands.
Defiantly join the NZMCA as if you use the ferry i.e. going around both Islands, it will pay for itself.
We hired one of the cheaper 4 berth SC motorhomes, we weren't bothered about having a posh Moho as with a cheaper one you arnt so worried about sticking to paved roads and get to see proper NZ.
We drove clockwise around both Islands as this allows you to just pull off the road, as you will be doing quite often going wow.
Choose the highest insurance that covers tyres, windscreen under/over body work.
We mainly wild camped using NZMCA, Docs or just the side of the road.
Plenty of launderettes, you get discount off fuel when you spend over certain amount on food at the major supermarkets.

Word of warning be careful of Asian drivers they cause a few accidents in Moho's driving on the wrong side of the road.

Most of all ENJOY :D

Edit We hired from these https://www.wendekreisen.co.nz/default.aspx/?

Not the poshest but clean and had no issues with the vehicle.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Maori names there can trip you you up. Maori is a phenetic Language.
So Ohope, is not O HOPE tiz O-HO- PAY.

Couple of phrases to keep the dusky cousins on side,

Tene koa e hoa, (tea-nay koa E hoa) Standard greeting, "I see you friend"
And as you leave, "E noho ra" (E no-ho ra) "stay well"

There is so much to see;

If you are into Golf, then a round on the Bay of Islands Course, with a scenic WOW on every hole

Whakarewarewa in Rotorua is a tourist trap (WH is pronounced FF, so Whaka comes out as FFAKA which can raise a few eyebrows!)

If you find yourself anywhere near Waiouru on Route 1, there is an interesting Museum of the NZ Army there.

Try to have a couple of Hours in Wellington, and drive up to the lookout on Mount Victoria, maybe, on a clear day you will see the Southern Alps, and Wellington of course 5th best natural harbour in the world.

And the South Island? I will guarantee you have never seen so many shades of green in your whole life, and there is a WOW around every corner.
While you're there, try to see " Somebody's Darling" and beside him, "The Man that buried Somebody's Darling" (Google it)

Anyway have a wonderful time, tiz a unique and wonderful country .

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
We are off in Jan for the second time our son lives there. I loved our last time we toured both islands but in a car and hotels but this time we have hired a motorhome for a couple of weeks to tour only the south island looking forward to it if only just to say we have motor-homed in NZ. We have hired the motorhome as part of our holiday and paid for it here as part of the package with full insurance but we found the driving easy if slow as 80 kms top speed. We watched a few cop shows on tv before we went first time to see what it was about and picked up some tips they are still on. It is a very nice place but very far away and does feel remote but my son loves it and has a very nice house so a good base (Dunedin) Enjoy your trip
Neil

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
Forget to say the crossing between islands was very rough and my wife was sick but it is beautiful going into the south through the cliffs ( I was ok )

Neil

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We went there in March, south island first, ni second, in the end didn’t do Motorhomes, so expensive for poor quality vans. We did air
B & bs. Great fun and worked out much cheaper.
Phil

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We went there in March, south island first, ni second, in the end didn’t do Motorhomes, so expensive for poor quality vans

Ours cost around 3.5k for 9 weeks with top level insurance etc.
OK it wasn't the prettiest but did everything we needed :)

IMG_0726.JPG

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Yes we did it about 4 years ago. Hired a motorhome for about 10 days cost us about 1k . Be careful on some of the remote coastal campsites especially on the west coast of south island. No matter what you do the sandflies will always get you, and how they hurt when they bite. Some of the backpacker places are excellent and good value. The ones around Queenstown are really good. In most you get your own room. We also used Airbnb and again that accommodation was always top class. Don't forget the weeks after xmas are the school holidays so some places will get busy. I have kept a blog of all my trips over last 9 years and I have a large section covering our NZ trip you might have to scroll down to the NZ section but its well worth looking at. The Corromandel area was stunning for beaches. see blog here.. http://lightningtours.blogspot.com/...00-08:00&max-results=7&start=14&by-date=false

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Forget to say the crossing between islands was very rough and my wife was sick but it is beautiful going into the south through the cliffs ( I was ok )

Neil
Rough is not the word , they don’t call it the roaring 40s for nothing , my first visit they actually took cargo trains on ferries which were very old . After 6 trips that’s it for me ,but I always regret not doing a glacier walk , Fox / frank Joseph . Make sure you make a trip on a ski plane to the ice fields on mt cook , astounding views . Also visit the rainbow warrior monument ( hard to find ) the propeller of the fine vessel is there , and of course the sperm whales just off the coast at kiakoura, there is so so much to see, unique to NZ . Beware of the Kea birds that will destroy your vehicle.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Have visited NZ 5 times now, we have 2 sons who live there. We love Motorhoming but never do it there as it’s very expensive, we usually hire a small car and stay in Lodges, B & Bs and Airbnb which is a lot cheaper but as others have said there are plenty of Motorhomes for hire so it’s horses for courses.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Ours cost around 3.5k for 9 weeks with top level insurance etc.
OK it wasn't the prettiest but did everything we needed :)

View attachment 257546
Probably would have gone for a deal like that, but in March, peak season, it was telephone numbers.
Air B & B was a really great way of doing it as well. Out of the 10 or so places, only one was poor. Some were incredible. Photos or our digs at Coromandel.
Phil

Attachments

• 42A5520A-4A67-4A93-8968-3AC4F3F79232.jpeg
    42A5520A-4A67-4A93-8968-3AC4F3F79232.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 17
  • AFD88A67-8D67-48A8-B5EF-752045262DFE.jpeg
    AFD88A67-8D67-48A8-B5EF-752045262DFE.jpeg
    286.3 KB · Views: 17

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I went back in 2010, didn't rent a camper, took a big Toyota with three rows of two armchairs, so that four with luggage were spoiled for space.

We then travelled both Islands via boutique hotels, homestays and similar. NZ is the only place I have visited where I would have gladly stayed, wonderful people scenery etc. Didn't have one bad experience.

Do the south Island last so that you'll have fresh memories of all that beauty. The ferry from North to South was pretty bad when we went, we had to stay seated and strapped in where applicable for the whole trip. The trip back to the North Island one month later was fabulous.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
If hiring a motorhome best to get someone in NZ to book it for you. We arranged ours through a club member out there and overall saved £3000. Our UK email domain rang profit bells and excessive prices but a NZ booking didn't. Good luck. You'll certainly enjoy.

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
We have, 2 times just rented a car and b&b or small hotel, great and no problems .

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
We did the helicopter flight and landing.
Had to wait two days for the weather to clear :eek:

Well worth it though (y)
Wild Weather is always a problem in NZ road wash outs common long detours etc 2 things to remember don’t park against traffic flow you get a ticket . When turning left , if on coming vechile wants to turn right THEY have right of way !

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Wild Weather is always a problem in NZ road wash outs common long detours etc 2 things to remember don’t park against traffic flow you get a ticket . When turning left , if on coming vechile wants to turn right THEY have right of way !
That's the same here. It's a good idea.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
The Cook Strait is renowned for being a bit lumpy at times, the weather can be very unpredictable. When I worked on the Wharf in Wellington, in the boot of my car I always carried a set of oil skins and 4 different thicknesses of coats.
Wellington Harbour is a beautiful place to work, on a good day. The problem was there was only about half a dozen days a year where the bloody Southerly Wind, at gale force, didn't whistle in from Antarctica.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
It was pretty calm when we sailed.
Fortunately only had to do the trip once :)
Had read it can be a bit wet and wild :sick:

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
The Cook Strait is renowned for being a bit lumpy at times, the weather can be very unpredictable. When I worked on the Wharf in Wellington, in the boot of my car I always carried a set of oil skins and 4 different thicknesses of coats.
Wellington Harbour is a beautiful place to work, on a good day. The problem was there was only about half a dozen days a year where the bloody Southerly Wind, at gale force, didn't whistle in from Antarctica.
Windy wellington , that goes for the airport as well look at you tube ! Also on you tube cook strait ferries in heavy seas !!!

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I went to Christchurch on the south island to visit family in October 1999 for 5 weeks with the intention of touring the south island for 4 weeks and spend week 5 making my way up back up to Auckland to fly back to the UK via a 5 day stopover in Malaysia. They insisted driving us everywhere showing us the best South Island NZ had to offer and almost insisted that we didn't use the Picton - Wellington ferry as the weather is so unpredictable crossing the Cook Strait at that time of year. We ended up flying from Christchurch to Rotorua.
We did experience some awful rainfall which started as a horrific thunderstorm at Wanaka and continued for 3 days and we only just made it into Queenstown before landslips blocked every road out of the town for 4 days. Lake Wakatipu which is 84kms long rose 2 metres above its normal winter level and the town centre was under 5ft of floodwater. The same weather system dumped 6ft of snow on the Remarkables mountain range and a major search and rescue had to go looking for walkers, a number of which lost their lives.
We also had a whale watching trip at Kiakoura cancelled because of very rough seas. We didn't see much on the North Island but we have enough memories of the South Island to last three lifetimes.
We initially planned to hire a MH even though we weren't into MHs at the time. Maybe next time(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back