New Zealand (1 Viewer)

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Hi, Anyone rented a M/H in New Zealand & got any info to share? Trying to decide whether to rent a m/h or a car & do B&B ??? Thanks. :)

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
If you put 'New Zealand' in the search box there's loads of info and discussions,it will keep you busy!saves everyone repeating themselves!
which ever you do your sure to enjoy it and go for as long as possible (y)

Lyn2017

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
Funster No
We went a few years ago for four weeks. We hired a car for two weeks in north island and hired a motorhome for two weeks in south island. Its worth checking out the cost of doing it both ways. Campsites have cabins to rent, some have rooms. Motel rooms have kitchenettes with them. We came back and bought a motorhome!! Actually thinking about it, that few years ago was 11 years ago!!! Loved it there and would have gone back if it wasn't for health problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Well NZ the best country I have been to ,( 6 times ) always rented car , roads empty ,besides Auckland, motels , clean and plentiful , they have ' duty motels ' signposted that if you enquire there, they ring round for what you want i.e. top resort or just basic for the nite ? Cost wise I would think it would be cheaper car/ motel than mh . Unfortunately I think it is a tad expensive now much less than 2$ to £1 first time I went it was well over 3 $ to a £1 . But as said , go for as long as you can min4 wks much better 6 , that's not including getting down there .

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Can't remember the name (sounded/looked German) who hire out of Auckland Airport surrounds.
Their 'vans are generally past it. One one we got, although mechanically perfect was shot on the inside . Not surprising considering it had 395,000 Kms on the clock. No wine glasses but egg cups??? and the worse thing of all, the pipe from the 'van to the reg (rubber tube) was the original at 10yrs old.
You get what you pay for.

Having said that, there are bargains to be had on One way hires from other firms.

Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
Went earlier this year for a month and did b&b/motels. Car hired from Auckland to Christchurch then flew back to Auckland and north to Bay of Islands.Eye wateringly expensive cost of living . 1 dollar =62p . 60 dollars for average bottle of wine in Auckland! but cheaper , circa 30-40 dollars outside of Auck. (restaurantt/bar prices)10 dollars for a happy hour beer in Queenstown. Supermarket shopping not cheap either. Looked at Mhoming but, by the time you have added mileage, linen, insurance etc it's as cheap to stay in decent B&B's/ motels.
Really depends if you want to get away from it all or a bit, and I mean a bit of life.9.30 one evening and landlord locked pub doors and waited for the 3 of us to leave as he turned off lights around us.

Jenowen

Free Member
Aug 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
NZ is a great travel destination. We've done both motorhome and car/motel options. If you opt for the latter don't discount 'backpacker' hostels - obviously choose with care but there are some truly amazing places to stay. Of particular note, Anakiwabackpackers, they have a double roomed annexe which is superb. Its at the end of the Queen Charlotte Way with stunning views over the Sound.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Went earlier this year for a month and did b&b/motels. Car hired from Auckland to Christchurch then flew back to Auckland and north to Bay of Islands.Eye wateringly expensive cost of living . 1 dollar =62p . 60 dollars for average bottle of wine in Auckland! but cheaper , circa 30-40 dollars outside of Auck. (restaurantt/bar prices)10 dollars for a happy hour beer in Queenstown. Supermarket shopping not cheap either. Looked at Mhoming but, by the time you have added mileage, linen, insurance etc it's as cheap to stay in decent B&B's/ motels.
Really depends if you want to get away from it all or a bit, and I mean a bit of life.9.30 one evening and landlord locked pub doors and waited for the 3 of us to leave as he turned off lights around us.
It's a few yes since I have been but do the shops still shut midday on a Saturday ?!!! I found it most strange , oh yes don't go to nz if you want to party ! It's so laid back that's if the all blacks are not at the west pac stadium !

Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
It was like going back years TG!. Reminded me of Scotland on a Sunday in the early 70's---shut. :)
Ticked off my bucket list and not likely to make a re-appearance.
Some beautiful parts but a bit like Derbyshire with a coast line on the lower half of the North Island althouh the Bay of Islands was worth the trip north.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
I
It was like going back years TG!. Reminded me of Scotland on a Sunday in the early 70's---shut. :)
Ticked off my bucket list and not likely to make a re-appearance.
Some beautiful parts but a bit like Derbyshire with a coast line on the lower half of the North Island althouh the Bay of Islands was worth the trip north.
i was going to say that , its like going back in time ? But you can't fault the friendly people and the STUNNING scenery but boy it will be expensive now !

Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
I

i was going to say that , its like going back in time ? But you can't fault the friendly people and the STUNNING scenery but boy it will be expensive now !
We'd been to South Africa the year before so the price difference was even more marked in comparison.
Lovely drives, lovely wines and some great sights, Milford Sound, Mt Cook, Wanaka and the far north being our highlights.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
We used Britz campervans, great service from them. Picked it up on north island, toured round for three months and dropped it off on South Island airport. Great having a camper, go anywhere and sleep anywhere. Some great campsites and you get discount through having the van. This was a while ago. Love New Zealand. (y)

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Fantastic country to travel in - we hired a campervan twice - did backpackers = and stayed in Baches (holiday cottages). Van beat the other options by far - We stayed on the South Island for 6 weeks & could have done with much more time - We would hire a cheap small van - it gives you the possibility to do some of the more challenging routes on small roads/tracks - Motorhome heaven - nowhere like it in our opinion Having a van allows you to stay on the DOC sites - Department of Conservation - in some great locations -
The standard of the vans seems poor compared to European vans - but the country more than makes up for this.
We hired with Alpha motorhomes - near to Christchurch Airport - There was a big difference in price between companies and also going just out of season really brought the costs down. No brainer - go for a van

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
You don't hang around :D

If you want drop me a pm next week and I'll send the info of who we hired from etc (y)

Jan 28, 2017
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Exp
The Coast road from Picton to Christchurch may well be open again after the earthquake and is a must. I am partial to the South island as i live here but did enjoy leaving Highway 1 around Hamilton and heading out to the coast on highway 3. you pop out one the coast at Mokau above New Plymouth. Dont get an underpowered Diesel van and make sure it has a self contained sticker. they are clamping down on "Freedom Camping"

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We had a VW diesel and it was fine.
There was only one hill we didn't go up and that was in Dunedin :)

Definitely need a SC van though wilding is spot on in NZ

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Exp
You did well to avoid going up it ...Baldwin street is 20 minutes from here and fast becoming a tourist hotspot. They have just added a toilet at the bottom. We dread that some other city will build a steeper street. hahaha

OP
OP
simbadog
Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
The Coast road from Picton to Christchurch may well be open again after the earthquake and is a must. I am partial to the South island as i live here but did enjoy leaving Highway 1 around Hamilton and heading out to the coast on highway 3. you pop out one the coast at Mokau above New Plymouth. Dont get an underpowered Diesel van and make sure it has a self contained sticker. they are clamping down on "Freedom Camping"

Thanks, I'll check that road out :)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
@tanex Iwas keen to drive up but SWMBO wouldn't let me :)

I think the old girl we had would of made it, we went up some viscous hills around the country :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back